Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce X
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When calculating how many units must return to base, do you round off to the nearest whole number, or rather, do you always round up?
i.e. result of "L" vs a side that has 2 units remaining:

2/3 * 2 = 4/3

Does only 1 unit return to base because 1 is the nearest whole number or do both units return to base by rounding up?

Sorry but I could not find any example in rules to explain this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave clifford
United States
portage
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You round off to the nearest whole number with .5 and above rounded up.So in your example,yes it would be 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
dvsimp wrote:
You round off to the nearest whole number with .5 and above rounded up.So in your example,yes it would be 1.

Yep. Check rule 1.8, "Halving".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gromenauer Jaaarl
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, we had a problem with rounding off in ground combats.

You can only give as many modified factors from air and naval units as the modified ground units factors'...

Quote:
6.2 Fighting a Land Round

Add up all the Land Factors of your units in the combat. All units attacking from a TRS use half their printed Land Factors except MAR, which are not halved. Each Big BB and CV unit contributes two Land Factors, and each Small BB and CV unit contributes one Land Factor.

Secondly, modify these Factors based on the terrain in the target land area, and whether there is Snow; see the Snow Effects Chart and Terrain Features Chart on the map for details. Note that sometimes only your air and naval units’ Land Factors are modified, while your land units’ Land Factors are not modified.

The combined, modified Land Factors of all of your supporting air and naval units can’t exceed the combined, modified Land Factors of all of your side’s land units. Ignore any excess.

Quote:
1.8 Halving

Whenever you modify numbers, complete all modifications and retain all fractions until the very end. After all calculations are complete, then round off, with .5 or higher rounding up to the next highest whole number.

1 In our game the attackers have a modified force of 3.5, my opponent wants to round up to 4 and add 4 air + 4 nav factors = 12, I say in any case he could put together 3.5 + 3.5 + 3.5 and THEN round off 10.5 to 11.

2 Another question is whether he could add air support + nav support ( 4 + 4 ) or he can give support of only 4 (air + nav). We have been assuming he can use both "4"s but it's not so clear to me after :

Quote:
The combined, modified Land Factors of all of your supporting air and naval units can’t exceed the combined

It would seem the air+nav would have a joint limit which would be the ground forces' total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Gromenauer wrote:
Hello, we had a problem with rounding off in ground combats.

You can only give as many modified factors from air and naval units as the modified ground units factors'...

1 In our game the attackers have a modified force of 3.5, my opponent wants to round up to 4 and add 4 air + 4 nav factors = 12, I say in any case he could put together 3.5 + 3.5 + 3.5 and THEN round off 10.5 to 11.

2 Another question is whether he could add air support + nav support ( 4 + 4 ) or he can give support of only 4 (air + nav). We have been assuming he can use both "4"s but it's not so clear to me after :

Quote:
The combined, modified Land Factors of all of your supporting air and naval units can’t exceed the combined

It would seem the air+nav would have a joint limit which would be the ground forces' total.

Hi,

To cut right to the point: in your #1 example, if there are 3.5 Land Factors from land units, then the maximum support (combined, from both air and naval units) that can be added is another 3.5 Land Factors. That's a maximum total of 7 Land Factors.

Hopefully that clarifies!

Cheers,
Dave L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gromenauer Jaaarl
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does, and a lot, it answers both questions. Thx a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.