Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralph B
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just learning this game, and have what is probably a very basic question.

I'm setting up for the start of the Mississippian Era, and on the Cherokee Homeland path I put the Hostile standee on a mounded chiefdom at location/square #4. I did this because rule 14.1 says "Place each Warpath's corresponding Hostile Army in the Land that is one number higher than your Peace Pipe marker on that Warpath", and I have a Peace Pipe marker on square/location #3.

Does this result in an immediate defense roll/Ambush for the square containing the mounded chiefdom, square #4, prior to the first turn of the Mississippian Era?

If not, then I assume that on the first turn of the Mississippian Era the Hostile army will proceed beyond the mounded chiefdom onto square #3 with no Ambush possible.

Thanks for any guidance.

Ralph

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Erni
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The hostile army is simply placed in box #4 -- there is no "pre-era" conflict.

This situation is rather unlikely, given that you can only lose a Mounded Chiefdom in the Hopewell Era via Revolt, and it would only take a single action (no die roll necessary -- they love you) to reclaim ownership of the Mound prior to the Era end.

Although in this situation it is possible to have an army immediately advance past the Mound at the outset of the Mississippi Era, it would take a very nasty card draw, given that a Peace Pipe would create an initial Peace on that Warpath (The player does not need to control a Mound to retain the Peace Pipe -- only to have one present on the Warpath).

Actually, I just realized that a player could only take box #1 on path, Mound an "Unfriendly" Chiefdom (one of the four who will still Revolt when Mounded), suffer a Revolt on that Path (making a Revolt roll of "1") and then not bother to retake the box -- then the Hostile army would indeed set-up next to Cahokia with no Peace Pipe present (no peace when the enemy is poised to conquer you). However, since spending one action to Advance back on top of that Chiefdom (in the extremely unlikely scenario above) ... would be the single most effective use of a single AP possible at the end of the Hopewell era (by a WIDE margin) -- I am not going to lose sleep over this conundrum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph B
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wes, thanks very much for the reply.

I'm having difficulty grokking your post, which apparently means that I need to read the rulebook a couple more times before proceeding.

This is a very intriguing game, and I have already learned a lot from it, as it stimulated me to google 'mound cultures'.

Now, off to studying the rulebook.....

Ralph
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Erni
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules 9.1 and 14.1 are probably the best reference points to understand my ramblings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph B
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Wes. I'll review those rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph B
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I see my mistake: I had mounded a chiefdom that was beyond a Peace Pipe and therefore not under my control. Silly of me....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.