10 Posts

High Frontier (3rd edition)» Forums » General

Subject: PBV+F 11: discussion and advice thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drake Immortalis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've got 4 new HF players ready to experience the unforgiving nature of space in https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1477078/pbvf-11-race-vesta
We're using Legacy advanced rules (colonization rules with Support and Combat modules only. Rules sections A-O, T, glossary).

I expect they'd welcome advice from the HF pros. Game dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bpxs8qef9tzq5sx/AACVsIppDJ8BuIeUX...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Jorge
Portugal
Amora
Setúbal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As a new player, I don't have any knowledge about the metagaming and when is best to do some actions.

At first glance, I'd say that for example the early game will be essentially about bid wars and rush as early as possible into space so you can claim the best sites, but I may be overlooking some hidden value to play it in a broader range of game transitions.

When should I bid for colonists, for example? It feels that they are low priority in the early game, yet I saw in previous PBFs that some players rushed to them pretty early in game-time.

When I have the basics to start claiming and / or prospecting, does it make sense to keep bidding?

So, the grand question here is: is there a "scripted" way to play this game or is there any method to know when should I go to a new "stage" or fall back to a previous stage of the game?

I believe that these points are or will be covered in the strategy rulebook, but I think the geeks around here could give new, more personal insights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luckily we don't have to worry about colonists since we aren't playing with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Krebbeks
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, I've already hit a snag and I haven't even started playing yet!

When I open the logfile, it's asking which faction I'd like to join as. The only factions listed are those in the basic game. None of the advanced factions are in the dropdown menu.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Jorge
Portugal
Amora
Setúbal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
To me, it asks to choose a color, not a faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Immortalis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use the vmod in the dropbox. You are green.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Krebbeks
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All set, thanks. So much for reading directions carefully....shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fili Pikes
msg tools
Hi Drake,

I am looking at the tutorial posted from this game and I can see that you systematically don't spend any fuel when using Crew thruster. Normally, with your crew thruster you should consume 8 steps of fuel per burn, isn't that correct?

Thanks for clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You only have to pay for the thruster you use. He didn't use his crew thruster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I miss should have read the thread more carefully, I believe he can't enter any burns with his current fuel level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.