Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you have a very fair point. No-one always really checks this stuff.

I can only pass on the excellent poker players' maxim: if in doubt, leave the table. Or, if the table is the only table that you've got, insist on playing something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair tho, its hardly the only game where honesty is required

Also - I believe you do get higher scores with Cities/Leaders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Posacki
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, having that difference in score is possible, especially if one good player plays with newbies and is not willing to help them make right choices (not cheating, but also far from fair play, in my opinion). If three of four players have such scores in base game, this sounds suspicious.

Having duplicates in science is easiest to check - at the end of game. As of purchasing resources - it's basically good to keep track of what resources other players have access to and if they have money to buy them (not only if you suspect cheating, it helps you decide which cards to pass), but at first it may be hard with higher number of players.
If you doubt if given player can afford the card he's building, it's always better to ask - at least you can learn some new ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burt Yaroch

The Villages
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmb
When our group plays we tend to watch each other very closely simply because it is easy to make honest mistakes (i.e. using market goods twice). So I would disagree with the "strong honesty component" in 7W as everything is right there on the table for all to see. There isn't anything a player wishing to take advantage can really do unless everyone else isn't paying attention.

Come to think of it, we all announce our actions ("I need three ore: I have one here, will use the one from this market and buy one from Joe.") Perhaps your group could try that. It doesn't preclude us from watching each other as mistakes can be made, but I have certainly never been concerned that someone with a high score slipped something underhanded past me.

And we always use the app for end game scoring so everyone is involved there as well.

Cities and Leaders definitely gives you a higher scoring game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've found that if you have either Cities or Leaders in play, the winning score will roughly be 65-75. Add in both and you're looking at roughly 75-85.

So not unheard of at all. It should be expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
If 70+ scores are totally expected with the two expansions, then I'm reassured this is efficient play rather than tactical negligence. Excellent! Thanks for that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
deadmarlowe wrote:
If 70+ scores are totally expected with the two expansions, then I'm reassured this is efficient play rather than tactical negligence. Excellent! Thanks for that!

You don't delete a thread by deleting your first post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and his gaming buddies might have already read it anyway ....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well my gamer doesn't frequent Bgg but it occurred to me the discussion was indelicate. I'm happy to know the typical score ranges; no need to have awkward conversations in person

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.