Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Mountain of Madness or Strange Remnants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio Nessuno
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A simple poll, I'm undecided about what to buy...

Poll
If you could just buy only one expansion, of the two mentioned, which would you buy?
Mountain of Madness
Strange Remnants
      105 answers
Poll created by Shooock
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming, since it didn't show up there, that you already have Forsaken Lore, right?

And is money any sort of factor? MoM costs twice as much as SR, after all.

And if you can only get one... my honest opinion would be wait and see what the reaction to Under the Pyramids is. SR has an unusual AO, which makes it a good "once you have some other expansions" type expansion. But if I've read the general moods correctly, Sgzyzy is overall considered better than either of the MoM Ancient Ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy
United States
laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Small box expansions are more bang for your buck IMO. But if you want quantity over quality and money isnt factor then big box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mountains of Madness is a bit divisive because it includes a new board with a separate adventure on it, which is for the most part only applicable to one GOO. There is a prelude that features the side board in some fashion, but it's very, very minor.

It's kind of a cool thing, as it makes the GOO very different than any others. But on the other hand, you have a ton of "stuff" that you won't even use in the majority of your games in the long run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Nessuno
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm assuming, since it didn't show up there, that you already have Forsaken Lore, right?

Right.

bizfaol wrote:
Small box expansions are more bang for your buck IMO. But if you want quantity over quality and money isnt factor then big box.

Yes i want more "bang for my buck"... So Strange Remnants seems an good choise, and the missing of MoM don't unbalance the experience, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
Mountains of Madness is a bit divisive because it includes a new board with a separate adventure on it, which is for the most part only applicable to one GOO. There is a prelude that features the side board in some fashion, but it's very, very minor.

It's kind of a cool thing, as it makes the GOO very different than any others. But on the other hand, you have a ton of "stuff" that you won't even use in the majority of your games in the long run.

Well you can choose your prelude and use it in every game (if you so wish). The small box also includes lots of stuff you would only use if using a specific GOO or Prelude card, except MoM has more stuff.

MoM also gives you a cool alternate box to store the game, and if you have all the expansions, will probably need another big box to put it in anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shooock wrote:
Quote:

Right.

bizfaol wrote:

Yes i want more "bang for my buck"... So Strange Remnants seems an good choise, and the missing of MoM don't unbalance the experience, right?

Well playing with different combinations of expansions will make your games different to others, but I don't think it is particularly unbalanced. If something gives you a random card, then your selection of those cards is different from if you had MoM also, but it all works well together without MoM.

The system is nicely modular, so you can use whatever expansions you want, but content from other expansions can always turn up no matter which GOO you fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United States
Hiram
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Both of course!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
All the major new mechanics of MM (Focus, Preludes, Unique Assets...) get duplicated in SR. The only non-AO-specific stuff you're really missing out on is the investigators: MM has twice as many investigators, including powerhouses like Agnes and Daisy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.