Subject: To the river - another Troll approaches rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a hard time beating To the river core quest. It's my 5th attempt and I have just killed the troll and sent enough characters to place 8 progress tokens on the card. But right before I did that another Hill Troll came up and blocked my way! Do I still have to kill it to advance?

Please say no, otherwise I will lost all hope then. This quest is a nightmare!

I'm at 44 threat atm so my chances are small anyway. I'm starting to think I'm playing this game wrong... and I'm an experienced player!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you have to kill the second hill troll as well.
What kind of deck are you playing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing the one with Denethor, it's wisdom I think (green). I have all heroes and 4 allies, yet I see no chances for me now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your pain. I had to defeat 2 trolls as well before I could move on. I am using a mixed Leadership/Lore deck and managed it but my threat was about 45 before I hopped on the raft and unfortunately I didn't draw another Gandalf so I hit 50 before I could finish. Once on the river it is pretty easy and I managed to get 8 tokens out of the 16. I was actually wondering why it was so easy until I thought, well they are travelling down a river while the enemy follows them on the banks but no one can actually hit them. I've only had the game a short time but I love how the designers have put it together, even if it is damn hard to play sometimes!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Libero03 wrote:
I'm playing the one with Denethor, it's wisdom I think (green). I have all heroes and 4 allies, yet I see no chances for me now...

If you are still using the default monosphere decks, then there is your problem. You see, those decks are worthless beyond the first quest (and Tactics is bad even there). I mean yes, their only merit is that they teach you the strengths and weaknesses of the spheres.
I barely remember it now, but when I was playing with just the core set cards, I have finished the quest with Tactics/Spirit deck - Éowyn, Gimli and the third was either Thalin or Legolas. Just remember that the lower you starting threat is, the more time you have before the hill troll engages you (30 threat) to gain strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for hints and advice. Indeed I am using the default monosphere decks. I have added only several cards from "Return to Mirkwood" and "The Dead Marshes", but nothing game changing. I have no other expansions yet, except Dark Riders, but I save those for separate plays since it is different timeline.

Maybe you have some suggestions how to improve my deck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could look at Beorn's Path which features a Leadership/Lore deck, where Beorn was not only playing the scenario, but he was explaining the deckbuilding as well. Parts 1, 3 and 4 are most relevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beorns Path is what I used to help me. In fact I copied his deck. Still took me 3 goes to get through the first scenario though!! Still attempting the second
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vladimir17 wrote:
You could look at Beorn's Path which features a Leadership/Lore deck, where Beorn was not only playing the scenario, but he was explaining the deckbuilding as well. Parts 1, 3 and 4 are most relevant.

This looks like an excellent page. Thanks a lot, I'll read and apply what I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.