Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Crawford
United States
Chester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just finished the first scenario, The Blitz of Western Europe, and I'm having a problem understanding the retreat mechanic in land battles. I think I have the rules down, but the combat results don't make sense. What is the point of getting the Allied defender to retreat 1/3 or 2/3 of his force if the units are going to move right back in during the Allied activity phase? Retreats make sense for aircraft units because the retreated units do not contribute their land factors to the following land combat, but I can't think of a reason for 2/3 rd's of the Paris garrison retreating to Vichy France and moving right back to Paris in the Allied land movement activity phase, It seemed rather pointless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
rcrawford wrote:
I've just finished the first scenario, The Blitz of Western Europe, and I'm having a problem understanding the retreat mechanic in land battles. I think I have the rules down, but the combat results don't make sense. What is the point of getting the Allied defender to retreat 1/3 or 2/3 of his force if the units are going to move right back in during the Allied activity phase? Retreats make sense for aircraft units because the retreated units do not contribute their land factors to the following land combat, but I can't think of a reason for 2/3 rd's of the Paris garrison retreating to Vichy France and moving right back to Paris in the Allied land movement activity phase, It seemed rather pointless.

Hi Robert,

It sounds like you have a grasp of the rules, but please let me know if you have a question on how they work. A "B" result is of course much more useful than an "L" or "S" result against the defenders. However, those latter can matter; for example if there are 3 AFA units in Paris and an "L" is applied against them, the Germany played picks the 2nd unit to retreat. He could pick the Maginot Line, which can't retreat because it is a FORT, and instead must take an extra point of damage.

Alternately, in the full game, the Allies may only be able to move back in if they pay Oil to do a Land Blitz (supposing the result occurred during a German Land Blitz). Do they want to pay that Oil?

Look for stuff like that and you'll see that an S or L can matter at times -- but there are also times when these results will not have a big impact as well.

Cheers,
Dave L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
Chester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David,

Thanks for the quick reply. You are supporting your baby well.

I want to be sure I'm not missing something. You said that the AFA would have to use an oil (land blitz) to move back in after a German land/total blitz. Couldn't they just use a free blitz to move back in (assuming the Germans had not conquered the territory)? The sequence of play seems to be getting in the way, but I will withhold judgement until I get to Barbarossa

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn H
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes a free blitz could be used as well. But then you are limited in the amount of troops you could move back (or move elsewhere).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer Kirk
msg tools
mb
I thought this exact same thing. A and A, for instance, goes to total elimination probably partly because of this fact. But not having played, perhaps a sufficient number of partial retreats can somehow overload the defender and make it difficult to simply reinforce again with the same units, making the partial retreat results rather pointless. If this only occurs during Blitz portions and does not apply to regular combat, then the results don´t make much sense to me.

But again, I only have the rules, not the implementation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.