Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Norman
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played an interesting game of T&T last night. The Germans were last in the player turn order & their opening game move was to spend all production points purchasing action cards, whereas the communists and capitalists took a more balanced approach split between steps, action cards & investment cards.

The Germans were able to secure 3 satellites and place influence in various other neutral territories, securing a large number of resources required for running a military campaign.

I was playing the communists, but having played Germany multiple times this seemed like a strong opening, almost allowing you to forego diplomacy in the following year and focus on building units and investment cards. Not only that, but converting the neutrals gave Germany access to "free" units.

I thought it was very interesting strategy and as a rival, I'd have to put some thought into how to counter it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hughes

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
Free units and rssources makes a diplomatic opening emphasis very powerful for Germany. In fact I continued that emphasis in subsequent turns, landing Spain and Belgium to the ultimate fatal detrement of France
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles gronau
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have been seriously tempted to do this, but you'd definitely want to be last in turn order, and it does put you a year behind on unit builds.
Positives though are still gaining peace dividends and the free units as well as denying the resources to others
Think id still prefer to VON the neutrals
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juerg haeberli
msg tools

Please read my session report: "we come in peace".

I think buying only action cards is interesting but suboptimal.
You should buy a mix of action and investment cards so you can use all the POP and RES you aquire with your diplomacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn DeCourcy
Canada
flag msg tools
I agree with Charles, consider this if Axis moves last. Another advantage of this approach is that on your next turn you can take no action cards. By taking only investment cards you improve your chances of getting a tech pair and having "exact change" when buying factories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Norman
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very true, but you are giving up 1-2 points of industry which are non-recoverable since the max increase is 2 per year.

Another thing to consider is that while you get "free" units if you convert a neutral to a satellite, it cost you at least 3 production points to do so. If someone start messing with your plans, then you're looking at 4+ production points. Is it worth it vs. simply building steps and taking it by force?

So many options...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's best to get Muster 3 and Muster 2 neutrals diplomatically, but for the Muster 1 neutrals, it's just as well to VoN them. Muster 2 Neutrals Sweden and Romania are also just as well to VoN, as they have two Resources each.

Among the Muster 1 Neutrals, the best to VoN are Denmark, Norway, Finland, because they are diplomatically hard to get. Muster 1 Latin America is also a good VoN, with 2 Resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Evans
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a viable strategy, just be aware that if it doesn't pan out, you may be behind the curve in Industry, tech, and units. It's a risk.

Often times the West player stays out of the early diplomatic wars but at times like these it may be a good idea to jump in. You'll notice that often desirable Eastern European minors are paired with the USA on Action Cards. If these minors fall to the Axis in the first year, then every time those action cards pop up later, their only use will be to hit the USA. That's obviously bad news for the West. Sacrificing an early USA card or two to keep the competition on going in the east is sometimes a good play. You want the Soviets and Axis using those possible USA cards to fight over Rumania and the like and not on isolating the USA. Food for thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snorman wrote:
Very true, but you are giving up 1-2 points of industry which are non-recoverable since the max increase is 2 per year.

Another thing to consider is that while you get "free" units if you convert a neutral to a satellite, it cost you at least 3 production points to do so. If someone start messing with your plans, then you're looking at 4+ production points. Is it worth it vs. simply building steps and taking it by force?

So many options...

While it does cost 3 production (or more if they try to stop you!) to get a neutral, violating one often gives your opponents "free" production (double the muster value!). So if you VoN against a muster 2 neutral, you not only have the possibility of losing two production steps (or more) but also grant 4 production to your rivals. Even if the fortresses miss completely you're down 1 production against both rivals and you didn't get the 2 free steps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.