Pantstuff Jones
msg tools
Sorry if this is an extremely simple question, just read the rules and haven't played yet.

Can hunters do other actions during the day or can they only move during the day?

The way its phrased, Hunters can only move during the day, could be interpreted two ways.

They can only use that action in the day phase, and they can't use any other action during the day phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin O'Brien
Scotland
Falkirk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless a card effect states otherwise, hunters may only move during the day. They can do any of the other actions during day or night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brinker
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Grognards
badge
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
mbmbmbmbmb
The hunters can take any action during the day. The rule should really state: "hunters MAY only move during the day". They MUST move during the day only if they are at sea (when they can't do anything else but move, anyway).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Catley
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Hunters may not move at night. They may move only during the day. Other available actions can be made regardless of the day/night phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan P.
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
The rules wouldn't distinguish between a supply during day and night if the only legal action they could take during the day was a move action.

Note that some cards (Long night?) allow one to do a road move action at night, but these break the otherwise standard rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of those momments I get really amazed by these foruns... I mean, this is one of the cases in which I don't see how people could get this confused.

Yes, in the rulebook it says "Hunters can only perform move actions during day", but before that it says "There are seven different action hunters can perform."

So you add both these information and you clearly understand that it is referring to not being able to move at night, not that you can only move during day.

If you go one paragraph earlier it also says that Hunters can Move and Search for Dracula during day, again, making me think that this is one of these momments that people go really out of their way to try and find problems where there are none.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
To be fair, there are at least 2 ways I can think of offhand in which that could have been written to remove the ambiguity:
- Hunters may perform move actions during the day only
- Hunters may not perform move actions during the night

Either of those would have removed some of the possibility for misinterpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Johnnymaxx wrote:
making me think that this is one of these momments that people go really out of their way to try and find problems where there are none.

Actually, there are several of these questions that when raised I have thought that -- until I go to reference the rules to clear it up. There I discover wording so convoluted that it gives the appearance of having been written deliberately to confuse and obfuscate.

To answer a basic rule question the reader ought to be able to just read the rule itself. But in many cases, it requires reading a whole section and then inferring the answer from context or triangulating between the two rules sections and card text. Ugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.