Subject: EDIT- My NEW simple solution for the pawn stand teeth of death rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edit- found some stands that work great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My simple solution for the pawn stand teeth of death
couldn't you just get different stands? i'm not saying it's right that we should have to, but it's still better than ruining the playing pieces...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, the whole point of my method is that it doesn't damage the playing pieces?

getting different stands is a possibility (I tried different ones that I already had). The problem is that the cardboard character pawn is much thicker than usual one's that I've dealt with- its like 1.5x as thick as Pathfinder pawns and 2x as thick as the Okko ones. I'm not sure I could even find stands that a- have an opening that is wide enough to hold the thick cardboard and b- don't have the damaging teeth.

For now I am quite happy with my method as I like having both spirit animal and character on the stand at the same time- I like how it looks and it saves me the trouble of having to switch them out (and risk further damage) when the character dies, because Wyrd only included 6 stands with the game. And most importantly, it doesn't damage the character cardboard.

Maybe if I ever pick up Dead of Winter I can try the stands from that game... who knows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have stands that work well from Clockwork Wars. I already had to loosen them with hot water and a quarter, so they hold these cutouts pretty well also. I just have to remember to grab them depending on which game I'm using and remind people not to push down on them all the way (in either game - what's with stands not being large enough to begin with??).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just used a hobby knife to cut out the notches. Technically it does damage the stands, but it's pretty worth it to avoid damaging the markers. The pieces fit perfectly now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also use a nail or square file. There's usually one in every miniatures hobby file kit that will fit perfectly into the slot, allowing you to saw down, then apply pressure while filing the teeth down a bit more when the file's edge reaches the bottom. This all takes maybe 15 seconds per stand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had this issue with Albion's Legacy. I found using Fantasy Flight's generic stands worked. I bought them from Miniature Market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i actually just got those in the mail yesterday! they are great! as for albion's legacy, they switched to new non-damaging stands for the 2nd edition (which I am looking forward to picking up).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall
United States
Dalton
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
While not as nasty as teeth, FFG stands still put indents on standees, and eventually they loose "gripping power".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.