Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Fury of Dracula (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Vampire Lair event card with no matured vampires? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Where were you hiding when the storm broke?
Philippines
Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've posted this question on FFG's forums, but as BGG appears more heavily frequented, I thought I'd post it here as well. I love the game, have had it for about a month and am pushing it on everyone I play other games with

Was going over the event cards in preparation for the next game, when I took a second look at "Vampire Lair".

"If Dracula has advanced his Vampire track by at least 1, then you may attempt to destroy 1 of the Vampires that he has planted around Europe. Conduct a fight as though you were facing Dracula, but any Wounds or Killed results you score against Dracula mean that he moves his Vampire track back by 1 and the combat ends. If Dracula escapes, this card is discarded. Note that Dracula cannot move as a result of the fight (such as by winning with Fangs)."

I've been interpreting the phase "Vampire track" as "Dracula's victory track", adding 2 points for matured vampires, 2 points for a defeated Hunter, and 1 point for every new Dawn.

My question is, suppose Dracula has scored 2 points from surviving 2 dawns, but has not yet matured a vampire or defeated any hunters. If this card is drawn, does the hunter who drew it still get to play it? Speaking literally, no new vampires were created. Also, if a new vampire had been created, it would have been worth 2 points.

I have no problem with playing it as it is - but it sounds more than a little silly. Say Drac survives to see one dawn, then a Hunter plays this card and fights an imaginary vampire bride to bring Drac's score right back down to zero. Where did the vamp come from? If the Hunter is defeated (unlikely, but it could happen), where does the vamp go? And if the Hunter is defeated, does Drac get 2 more points on his Vampire track? Or is this card just meant to be an abstraction instead of a literal event?

Thanks for any input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your suspicion is correct: the flavor text is just fluff. The card allows the hunters to set Dracula back 1 victory point, regardless of the source of that point. So you can play it anytime Dracula has at least 1 VP on his track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vidar Ambrosiani
Sweden
Nyköping
Södermanland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the thematic idea is about as follows...

Each Victory point represents vampire(s) of varying strength being deployed in Europe. I.e. if Dracula is alive enough time (a "day" + a "night") he has had time to set up a vampire lair somewhere in Europe.

The Vampire token that matures is an extra powerful vampire that Dracula has spent extra effort to protect and make powerful and is hence worth more points.

Killing a hunter means that that the hunters are dejected, search less, so some time passes where Dracula can turn more people into vampires without being running from hunters all the time.

As a side note, yes you play the rules correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippines
Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies!

So, just to be sure I'm not misreading you - if a Hunter plays Vamp Lair and loses, Drac scores an extra 2 points right? So a wounded, poorly equipped Hunter at night might do better to discard Vamp Lair instead of playing it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
WizardHowl wrote:
Thanks for the replies!

So, just to be sure I'm not misreading you - if a Hunter plays Vamp Lair and loses, Drac scores an extra 2 points right? So a wounded, poorly equipped Hunter at night might do better to discard Vamp Lair instead of playing it?

If the vampire kills the Hunter, yes. But Dracula's first priority should be to get that vamp out of there - if you lose, you backslide 1/6 of the way to victory!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vidar Ambrosiani
Sweden
Nyköping
Södermanland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't vampire lair play immediately (i.e no choice to avoid)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vidarrr wrote:
Isn't vampire lair play immediately (i.e no choice to avoid)?

Correct. So all a weak hunter can do is run. Although IME, Dracula usually plays safe and chooses Escape (Mist) at night to make sure he does not lose a precious victory point to a stake and a high die roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippines
Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again, I do appreciate everyone's advice - have only played this game twice, playing Drac both times as I own the game and know the rules better than my game buddies. We quit the first game due to time constraints, and I won the second by pure luck. Europe sure seems pretty small when there are 4 hunters after you.

I was under the impression that if a player drew a Play Immediately event, that player could choose not to play it. I'll make sure to remember thanks again!

edit: checked the card again. It says the Hunter "may attempt to" face a vampire. So combat from this card, at least, is optional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.