Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: Help With The Hand rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm missing something. I don't see how any of the eyes become open during combat. Also, I don't see how any of the survivors gain affinity.

Any help is appreciated.

(Regardless of this, I still had a TPK. Brutal!)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
read closed eye: they open when you have an appropriate aura (color of unopened, or white)

auras: add up affinities (the squares you get from matching your gear grid. each of those is an affinity). whichever color(s) are greatest is your aura. if they're all the same, white.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, of course! I completely forgot that affinities referred to color-coded gear. Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
best strategy to beating him is to not fight back
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Crossman
Canada
flag msg tools
gorkel wrote:
best strategy to beating him is to not fight back


This. Just did a level 2 Hand fight and only lost 1 survivor (on the very last card before applause, flubbed the last severe injury roll to the torso).

We have four shields, so we all just stood our ground and blocked each turn, then dodged when we weren't Doomed. This combined with evasion bonuses meant we actually negated a lot of his AI cards altogether, and we managed to soak the hits that landed through armour and lucky rolls on the severe injury table.

Oh, we also managed to set up everyone's affinities to all be white, so we could ignore his targeting the most of a certain affinity, and just made sure the closest threat was whoever we wanted to soak damage that round.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I saw this strategy, but too late.

Also, no shields and low evasion. Tough fight without those two things present.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, monster grease is nice easy evasion access...

And yeah, we've never actually beaten him up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
our group used 2 guys with shields and monster grease we beat the level 2, however at the very end we were supposed to lose a guy but he had the ability of surviving all death rolls on a 7+ and passed.

we also have another guy with immortal and last man standing disorders

a woman who crits on an 8+ and has ambidextrous wielding 2 scrap swords


current population is 22 and our death count is 9

toughest fight so far has been the kingsman
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Crossman
Canada
flag msg tools
spiralingcadaver wrote:
Well, monster grease is nice easy evasion access


Yeah monster grease and a rawhide shirt with the affinities matched is an easy way early on in the game to gain a +2 to evasion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gorkel wrote:
our group used 2 guys with shields and monster grease we beat the level 2, however at the very end we were supposed to lose a guy but he had the ability of surviving all death rolls on a 7+ and passed.

we also have another guy with immortal and last man standing disorders

a woman who crits on an 8+ and has ambidextrous wielding 2 scrap swords


current population is 22 and our death count is 9

toughest fight so far has been the kingsman


That's quite a strong settlement! Mine started to decline after a TPK with the Kingsman. I also had a TPK on a hunt. That ended it for me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanwright
msg tools
mbmbmb
My Group went with whistling maces, and tried to get through the ai deck faster to bring applaud up. We got the level 1 hand down to applaud (on his last wound) with 1 survivor left who then died in the applaud result, we took it as a victory even though it was a TPK.

Then the level 2 hand killed our bow master but we survived with 1 or 2 when we got to applaud (again on the last wound)

Then the level 3 hand just demolished us, we all had a whistling mace but no one could roll 10's and we died pretty quickly with his high damage.

Bombspastic
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Crossman
Canada
flag msg tools
Bombspastic wrote:
My Group went with whistling maces, and tried to get through the ai deck faster to bring applaud up. We got the level 1 hand down to applaud (on his last wound) with 1 survivor left who then died in the applaud result, we took it as a victory even though it was a TPK.


The Hand has a trait card called Impossible Eyes that states "The Hand can see everything. When The Hand suffers a wound, place a token on the Impossible Eyes instead of moving a card to the wound stack."

So you wouldn't actually remove AI cards from his deck while wounding, until you get through the number of tokens stated for the level of The Hand you're fighting, at which point you wound and the fight is over due to Respect.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
Well, monster grease is nice easy evasion access...

And yeah, we've never actually beaten him up.


We did win one time, but it involved a lot of luck in addition to some skill and appropriate gear to keep the eyes closed at the right times.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Mullen
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Because of my luck with the level 2 Hand, I decided to go for level 3 for my last Nemesis encounter now that I had some beacon shields. With shields like that and decent armor, the worst I got from him was brain damage from his constant Ghost Stepping. Didn't lose anybody, got Applause and rolled high. Again, we just tanked him, swapping out when people were low on insanity, and didn't attack at all. It felt almost like cheating.

I can see some potential for using the Hand as a quick attribute booster, if you're willing to take the risk of the 'sudden death' possibility on Applause. Also, odds are you're going to lose one person from your population regardless.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Kokothewise wrote:
Bombspastic wrote:
My Group went with whistling maces, and tried to get through the ai deck faster to bring applaud up. We got the level 1 hand down to applaud (on his last wound) with 1 survivor left who then died in the applaud result, we took it as a victory even though it was a TPK.


The Hand has a trait card called Impossible Eyes that states "The Hand can see everything. When The Hand suffers a wound, place a token on the Impossible Eyes instead of moving a card to the wound stack."

So you wouldn't actually remove AI cards from his deck while wounding, until you get through the number of tokens stated for the level of The Hand you're fighting, at which point you wound and the fight is over due to Respect.

Whistling mace puts the top AI on the bottom on perfect hit. Doesn't work when he has a duration up. But the goal in that strat is to perfect hit enough times to shorten the fight and get applause sooner.

Works with impossible eyes as it has nothing to do with wounding.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.