Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Sinclair
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you have two or more static defense cards stacked, do their attack values get added together?

ex. I have two static defense cards that I did not engage in previous rounds stacked on the right most slot of the axis board.

I know if I go into a firefight with two or more allies, their attack values get added together. Is the same true for those static defense cards? Am I now facing a block house AND road block in that right most slot?

Thematically it makes sense, the axis defensive positions provide mutually supporting fire, but boy oh is that going to shred some paratroopers.

When I do engage that stack, but do not destroy either of the cards, does the top most card still get discarded (dare I ask if both do)?

Great game so far! I'm getting my butt handed to me each time, but that's to be expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Hey, you're touching my face...
mbmbmbmbmb
NVS' video was very helpful.

In short, the static defenses function independently. Think of them as surrounding you. You must engage them individually to take objectives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Michael
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Justin is correct. They function independently.
You do not add their factors together. You may select any of them in the stack to attack. They are not subject to any kind of sequential order.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it.

Max
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sinclair
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joestin wrote:
NVS' video was very helpful.

In short, the static defenses function independently. Think of them as surrounding you. You must engage them individually to take objectives.

Thanks for the quick response guys!

NVS' video? Which is that? Can you post a link?

Sorry for being slow here...so when you say they function independently, are you still only facing one of them or do they each get a chance to do some damage?

To continue my example of a stack of two:

After I deal out the mission cards I should have four across, three that I just dealt and my stack of two. Should I attempt to engage that stack, do I just choose one of the cards and engage it normally, as if the one below it isn't there?

Again, sorry for being dense. Perhaps that video will help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Michael
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may just choose one.
Either one.
Or both seperately.
Or neither.
Their factors are never added together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sinclair
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it! Thanks Max! Two more play throughs with better results but defeats non-the-less. I. will. win!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Hey, you're touching my face...
mbmbmbmbmb
https://youtu.be/RDSNj6fKjkA?t=16m38s

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Follow up on that: if you have a stack of 2, do you need to engage both to claim an objective? Or is it sufficient to send 1 paratrooper to engage that space on the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Michael
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to attack each seperately.
One paratrooper cannot engage more than one static defense.
You must account for every static defense and the other enemy cards present to take an objective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Max Michael wrote:
You must account for every static defense and the other enemy cards present to take an objective.

Ooh ok. That makes it tougher. Played my first two games yesterday while sitting in the jury selection pool. Very hard!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Michael
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must admit I never envisioned it being played in a jury selection pool....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Max Michael wrote:
I must admit I never envisioned it being played in a jury selection pool....

Everyone was complaining about how boring it was. I got a paid day off work to work on a D&D campaign and played Airborne Commander! Almost sad we were dismissed for today
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
Max Michael wrote:

Wait, now I'm confused. He was asking about two static defenses in a stack. It sounds like you're saying each card in the stack has to be engaged when you say "you must account for every static defense". If that's the case, why are they in a stack? If that's the case, shouldn't they be in separate slots?

I'm also a bit confused about your answer upthread. When you engage a stack, you can engage some, none, or all of the cards? That seems contrary to your answer that we have to "account for every static defense".

-Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
Every static has to be defeated before you can engage the objective but you can take out single statics in the stack.
That's what I remember from the rules anyway. I've got the '14 spiel edition don't know if it's changed much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Michael
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you take objectives you have to deal with every static defense present.
Otherwise you can pick and choose which ones to go after or ignore.
They just sit there. They aren't trying to get to the beach.
But four, think of it as one in each direction north south east and west, will pen you in and you must escape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian T.
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question and yes NVS's video did clarify things greatly for this. Though, I have another question related to static defenses or road blocks for that matter.

My question is that in re-reading the section in the rule book (pg 8, static defenses, KS edition) it says "Surviving Static Defense cards will be consolidated into a single stack at the beginning of every turn,...."

Does "surviving" in this sense mean the same as it does for axis units that are engaged but are not utterly destroyed? In that case Allies can team up on a static defense, both are "wounded" if you will and get sent to their respective discard piles. Or do I have to utterly destroy a defense?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You must destroy Blockhouses to get them out of the Battleground.

You can either destroy or suppress a Road Block to remove it from the Battleground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:

You can either destroy or suppress a Road Block to remove it from the Battleground.

@MentatYP, I think you are partially correct. Per page 8 of the rulebook (emphasis mine):
Quote:
Static Defense cards left unopposed/unsuppressed will remain in play the next turn.
A similar phrasing is repeated on page 9 for the Cleanup step of the Fight phase.

Per that phrasing, as long as you engage a Blockhouse, you have opposed the Blockhouse and it gets discarded. The thing that makes Blockhouses tricky is that you cannot suppress them and have to use a unit or units with anti-armor attack values to destroy them.

It is correct that you can either suppress or engage a Road Block to remove it (either by discard or destruction). And Road Blocks only require a small arms attack value to defeat making them easier to destroy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Granger44 wrote:
MentatYP wrote:

@MentatYP, I think you are partially correct. Per page 8 of the rulebook (emphasis mine):
Quote:
Static Defense cards left unopposed/unsuppressed will remain in play the next turn.
A similar phrasing is repeated on page 9 for the Cleanup step of the Fight phase.

Per that phrasing, as long as you engage a Blockhouse, you have opposed the Blockhouse and it gets discarded. The thing that makes Blockhouses tricky is that you cannot suppress them and have to use a unit or units with anti-armor attack values to destroy them.

It is correct that you can either suppress or engage a Road Block to remove it (either by discard or destruction). And Road Blocks only require a small arms attack value to defeat making them easier to destroy.

After rereading the sections you mentioned I believe you're right. Now it's even more miraculous that I won my first game since I thought you had to destroy a Blockhouse to remove it! Seems that you just have to engage it instead? And if so you can engage it with a small arms unit without anti-armor (can't damage it but counts as engaged just like against armored units) to remove it from the Battleground into the Axis discard pile?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:

After rereading the sections you mentioned I believe you're right. Now it's even more miraculous that I won my first game since I thought you had to destroy a Blockhouse to remove it! Seems that you just have to engage it instead? And if so you can engage it with a small arms unit without anti-armor (can't damage it but counts as engaged just like against armored units) to remove it from the Battleground into the Axis discard pile?

In real-world terms, you are using a portion of your force to keep the enemy busy while the rest of your force bypasses the enemy strongpoint. When you get 4 static defenses, you've run out of potential ways to bypass the enemy and are surrounded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Featherstonhaugh
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like most of you I made the same mistake of thinking that blockhouses had to be destroyed to be removed. Once I discovered that I could could sacrifice a paratrooper to get rid of one or better still use my trusty mortars to suppress 2 road blocks and get rid of them, the game became much easier (still not easy, but I was losing 4/5 games!!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paulus001 wrote:
Like most of you I made the same mistake of thinking that blockhouses had to be destroyed to be removed. Once I discovered that I could could sacrifice a paratrooper to get rid of one or better still use my trusty mortars to suppress 2 road blocks and get rid of them, the game became much easier (still not easy, but I was losing 4/5 games!!)

Ironically after managing a Medal of Honor in my 1st game playing with an incorrect rule that should have made it harder, I've since played with the easier correct rule and got a -8 VP Campaign Ribbon and a 3 VP Bronze Star laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
...do not calle up That which you cannot put downe; either from dead saltes or out of ye Spheres beyond.
badge
Wicked Lich of the West
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great stuff! The game arrived yesterday but I will not have time to play until this weekend. Reading through the rules threads has been time well spent gathering intelligence. It is also nice to see familiar faces from SGOYT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.