Popular Tags: books [+] [View All]
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For your gamers that are also readers, check out Bernard Cornwell...he just completed one of his best series (a three book series) and they are titled 1)The last Kingdom 2)the pale horseman 3)Lords of the north

These are some of the best books i have ever read. They are historical fiction, and we follow a great main character throught the late 800's early 900's to when the Danes were taking over most of England(or what is today called england)

Its a great, deep, and ADDICTING series from an award winning author. I have never read a book so fast! The book has great, REALLY GREAT, battle scenes with shield walls, swords impaling, and heads flying, its so fantastic and yet remains realistic and quite historically accurate! 27 thumbs up!(on a scale of 28 thumbs)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ramirez
United States
Saint Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only read some of the Sharpe books but they were pretty decent.

I'd also recommend the Aubrey Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. It is very well written historical drama with loads of Napoleonic War naval action.

CER
GLG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hallo Aaron and welcome to BoardGameGeek!

I believe this post should be directed in a different forum . . . this is a non-game post in the game recommendations forum. I understand it's a recommendation, but it's not for a game. Recommendations for books, cars, movies, types of meat seasoning, etc. should go into our chit-chat section.

By the way, I looked at your owned games list and, if that's where you've started and is an indicator of what you like in games, I'd like to recommend snapping up a copy of Nexus Ops (before it's gone forever!). Also, I'd look at Viktory II.

Both are playable after dinner and before bed on a weeknight (maybe even a couple times) and preserve much of what I'm guessing you love about Axis & Allies, Attack!, and Fortress America while taking out what you don't like about it!

I couldn't recommend Nexus Ops more highly to you. Viktory II will sell itself at http://www.viktorygame.com/ . That game is made by a guy with a passion, and the parts are first-class for someone making it with passion alone. However, unlike Nexus Ops, the finely crafted pieces are not glow-in-blacklight . . . nor do they call you to eat them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaron, I re-read what I wrote to you. It sounds like I'm saying that Nexus Ops and Viktory II are better than the games you currently own. That's a mistake to say! What I meant to say is that Nexus Ops and Viktory II are less of an epic. I love my epic games as well (I get my fix from Twilight Imperium 3 for that), but sometimes you want the satisfaction of a changing, give-and-take war in an hour or perhaps two instead of five or eight.

Welcome to the DAWN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, thanks a lot, i really appreciate your recommendations! and from now on i'll know where to post random topics like this one. I do enjoy epic games like attack! and the like, but I have been definitely looking for games that could fulfill my in depth itch but not take the time that attack! takes. I was also wondering how Carcasonne was. Thanks for your time and interest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!

FYI: I've read many Bernard Cornwell books in the past and enjoy them quite a bit. He's one of my favorite authors for medieval [light] historical fiction.

...and now back to gaming...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy K.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Way-whu-nuh-now?!
mbmbmbmbmb
A BGG book club is forming right now in the chit-chat forum:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewforum...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Werth
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
The Sharpe series of books were okay, but suffered from a Rambo-esque situation. You have a hero who fights his way through every major engagement of the Penninsular war, basically, not counting his time in India, and he pretty much just kills everyone. If Napoleon had died at Waterloo, you could guarantee that Sharpe would have killed him. Towards the end of the series I was just burning through the books to get to the battle scenes - which were definitely interesting.

I'd be interested in checking out this new series of books not just because the writer is so good, but mostly because Sharpe won't be in them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asgelb wrote:
No, thanks a lot, i really appreciate your recommendations! and from now on i'll know where to post random topics like this one. I do enjoy epic games like attack! and the like, but I have been definitely looking for games that could fulfill my in depth itch but not take the time that attack! takes. I was also wondering how Carcasonne was. Thanks for your time and interest!

I can't recommend Carcassonne highly enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.