Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Zephro
United States
Aptos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am a huge horror fan, so of course I always love a good horror based game in my table top gaming collection. Some of my favorites include Fury of Dracula, Last Night on Earth, Nightfall and Shadows of Brimstone.

Would love to hear some of your favorites as well.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan B
United States
Wheaton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite Horro Games:

1. Mansions of Madness: This is probably the most thematic game that I've ever played. I really get a solid feeling of investigators lost in a haunted mansions, trying to solve a mystery and complete a hidden objective. The balancing can be pretty off though, so expect to need to either go easy as the Keeper (sort of like a game master but with only limited powers and an objective directly antagonistic to the players) to have to go easy, or to rule changes straight out of the box to prevent some of the scenarios from being silly difficult for the investigators.

2. Dead of Winter: This game plays a lot like BSG to me - semi coop with a traitor element.

3. Eldritch Horror: This is largely a revised version of Arkham Horror that is designed to be a little less fiddly. It is pure coop and involves investigators traveling the world and uncovering strange happenings to eventually, hopefully, prevent a Great Old One from rising again.

4. Room 25: This is a semi cooperative sci fi horror escape game with a traitor element. If you've seen the movie Cube, then you have a pretty good idea of the theme.

5. The Fury of Dracula: I have fun running around Europe, fleeing the hunters, or trying to find Dracula during the day and avoiding him at night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror! (the original and best!)

I also love Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristen Boudreau
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Our collection includes Zpocolypse, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Arkham Horror and Elder Sign.

I'm dying to try Fury of Dracula and might go pick it up today to play after Thanksgiving dinner

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moritz Eggert
Germany
Munich/Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nightmare House
This might be an obscure entry, but in my personal opinion this is perhaps the best horror board game ever created. It was a magazine game and the rules need some work - luckily some users have provided help files and gameplay videos.
Believe me, this is an underrated game that delivers on both theme and strategy in equal measure, but you need to invest some time. If ever a game should be reprinted with good components it is this gem from the 80s....

Some comments on the other games mentioned above:
-"Mansions of Madness" - great in theme and components, less so in strategy...
- "Room 25" - doesn't feel like horror at all, even though the film "Cube" is....
- "The Fury of Dracula" - excellent game, not really "horrific", more like "Scotland Yard" with Vampires...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bailey-Jones
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cave Evil is the only game you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Pettersson
Sweden
Höllviken
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you should have a look at Camp Grizzly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tariff wrote:
Arkham Horror! (the original and best!)

Not that horrific, but with the expansions there aren't a lot games that I would rate higher for a truly epic game experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Zephro
United States
Aptos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Coolmew wrote:
My favorite Horro Games:

1. Mansions of Madness: This is probably the most thematic game that I've ever played. I really get a solid feeling of investigators lost in a haunted mansions, trying to solve a mystery and complete a hidden objective. The balancing can be pretty off though, so expect to need to either go easy as the Keeper (sort of like a game master but with only limited powers and an objective directly antagonistic to the players) to have to go easy, or to rule changes straight out of the box to prevent some of the scenarios from being silly difficult for the investigators.

2. Dead of Winter: This game plays a lot like BSG to me - semi coop with a traitor element.

3. Eldritch Horror: This is largely a revised version of Arkham Horror that is designed to be a little less fiddly. It is pure coop and involves investigators traveling the world and uncovering strange happenings to eventually, hopefully, prevent a Great Old One from rising again.

4. Room 25: This is a semi cooperative sci fi horror escape game with a traitor element. If you've seen the movie Cube, then you have a pretty good idea of the theme.

5. The Fury of Dracula: I have fun running around Europe, fleeing the hunters, or trying to find Dracula during the day and avoiding him at night.

I forgot Dead of Winter, it's amazing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivor Bolakov
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dread_%28role-playing_game%29 if you're willing to branch out into RPG territory.

Or Psycho Raiders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me nothing in this genre beats Mansions of Madness. It's like playing a horror/investigation movie. The only caveat being the person playing the "keeper" aka the board must play as if they are being a game master more then an opponent. This was never an issue for me or any of those I've played with. Additionally as the rules for the investigators are quite easy I've had good success with non-gamers as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Bloos
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just backed two horror themed games at KS:
Folklore: The Affliction is set in Eastern Europe ("Dracula-country") and the miniatures looked great. It's cooperative and if you've missed it maybe they offer late pledges. It's worth a try.
Perdition's Mouth: Abyssal Rift is live at KS. There is no die but a very innovative rondel system plus a solo player mode. Heroes fight together against the Insectoid God and his minions; take a look at the pictures here on BGG. The tortured guy on the rack is a must-have for horror fans

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch Horror
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
Dead of Winter
Zombiecide
the Others
Mansions of Madness
Fury of Dracula
Camp Grizzly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Zephro
United States
Aptos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Apocalypse Dude wrote:
Eldritch Horror
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
Dead of Winter
Zombiecide
the Others
Mansions of Madness
Fury of Dracula
Camp Grizzly

Just picked up Camp Grizzly. Thanks for the tip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.