Return of the Heroes» Forums » Rules

Subject: Running Away rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's probably covered somewhere, but I haven't been able to find an answer on how you handle movement when running away from a battle. When you choose to break off combat and run away, do you have to go back the way you came or are you able to pass on through the space even if you didn't win the battle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Mills
Guernsey
Vale
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

Only played this once myself so far but I don't think there is any running away involved as such. You roll against your skill once for each heart the creature has and you must succeed with each roll to win (usually 1 roll).

If you fail then you lose your health and that ends the fight, you may carry out other actions on that location such as completing a task even though the creature is still there, but your movement ends.

On your next turn you may choose to either fight the creature again (but then not be able to move as that comes first) or just move away normally.

Hope that helps.

Al

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
mbmbmbmbmb
Al is correct, expect for one aspect which is a rules discrepancy between RotH and Under the Shadow of the Dragon expansion. In the Dragon expansion, the rulebook specifically states you can't perform any other actions in a field if you fail your combat trial. This makes sense to me, as you shouldn't be able to train, deliver someone to their home, etc, while you're fighting an ogre. Just one man's opinion.

Game on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't say that anything in the RotH rulebook is clear, but it does say that failing combat ends your turn, and that combat must be your first action if there's a creature to fight there.

As for running away (ala Runebound) there's no breaking off combat in RotH. Combat is usually just one round, with a few exceptions like the 2 Heart troll, and the Nameless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers, guys. I guess I didn't clarify my question very well, but what I was trying to get at was if you could just move on through the space on your next turn after you failed a combat trial.

You guys seemed to have given me the answer I needed and that's the way we played it the one time I've played so far. We thought it would make more sense though for an enemy to block your path if you didn't defeat it, so I just wanted to check to be sure we weren't doing something wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toasted Jones
United Kingdom
Rugeley
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KillingMachine wrote:
You guys seemed to have given me the answer I needed and that's the way we played it the one time I've played so far. We thought it would make more sense though for an enemy to block your path if you didn't defeat it, so I just wanted to check to be sure we weren't doing something wrong.

If you lose the combat, your turn ends. On your next turn you can choose to fight again or move on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toasty wrote:
If you lose the combat, your turn ends. On your next turn you can choose to fight again or move on.

Where do you read this? In the official german FAQ, and in both FAQ documents provided here on the geek, it is stated that you may do other actions after a fight, regardless of the outcome.

http://files.boardgamegeek.com/viewfile.php3?fileid=13384 (partial translation of the official FAQ):
5.2.b. "On the space of the melee teacher is a servant. If I move into the space, I have to first fight the servant. After the fight, independent of the outcome, I can then train at the teacher. If I stay there and again fight the servant, I can still train further after that."

http://files.boardgamegeek.com/viewfile.php3?fileid=21215 (collection of rules questions asked at the geek):
"So to interact with a Green tile blocked by an Enemy you don't necessarily have to defeat the creature (remove it from the map in other words), but you do have to survive a round of Combat with it."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.