BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games that works for family group and school gaming group rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Little Shoes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hello all

I normally find myself around here at this time of year - looking for recommendations for seasonal purchases - you haven't failed me yet!

This year I'm looking for a couple of games that need to fit two different playing groups:

Group 1
- Group 3 - 4 players - family group age 15-adult
- Playing time anywhere from 20 mins to 1.5 hours
- Games generally enjoyed - Ticket to Ride, Hanabi, Waterdeep, Thurn and Taxis, Nothing Personal, Village, Sherlock, Fluxx, still warming to Boss Monster
- Games that we parted with quickly - Agricola (too heavy and serious), Camel Up (we enjoy fun games but this was just too silly), Dominion (felt flat), King of New York (no obvious reason, played a handful of times but never eager to try again). Our entry into gaming came in the form of Catan - which we bought all the expansions for and played to death - and because of this, will probably never touch a worker placement again! We also could not play nicely enough with each other to enjoy Pandemic.

Group 2
-Group of 4 plus players - all age 17/18 in a school setting. Mix gamers and non gamers.
- Playing time largely limited to one hour
- Games generally enjoyed - Cards against Humanity, Small World, Fluxx, Kittens in a Blender (say no more!), Harry Potter Cluedo
- Did not like - One Night: Ultimate Werewolf

Generally I think both groups like a decent amount of fun, and social interaction, but without it being childishly silly for the family group (and Camel Up fell into this category for us). Fast paced games might be better than those with a huge amount of strategy, for it to keep the interest of the teens!

I have tried a little research and so far have come up with Cash n Guns and a couple of expansions to Small World- but more ideas would be appreciated. Nothing too pricey please!

.... And while I have your attention... would welcome comments on Portal: The Uncooperative Cake Acquisition Game

Many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be clear: are you looking for games that would work well for both groups? Or individually?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Shoes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
RenaissanceMom wrote:
To be clear: are you looking for games that would work well for both groups? Or individually?

Ideally, both groups please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justen O
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
* Splendor --- 4-player max, but a really simple game to teach and understand. It's been a hit with everyone to whom I've introduced it.

* Carcassonne --- I'm sure you've either tried this already or at least thought about it... it's a winner with my groups.

* Dixit --- Maybe too simple for your groups; we usually play it with younger kids, but the adults have fun, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few games we are playing right now that you might enjoy with both groups...

Specter Ops - up to 5 players, but 3 is sweet spot though 4 works well.

The Cave - can't tell you how much play we've gotten out of this one - up to 5 players, too!

King of New York - still works great at 6 players!!

Of course getting copies of CamelUp and Colt Express would be fun and we still play those. Just did a 10 player CamelUp and two back to back 6 player Colt Express.

-mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Taylor
United States
Bartlett
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exploding kittens - Uno meets card based Russian roulette. Keep in mind there are two versions so make sure you get the base and not the NSFW.

Sushi go - fun quick card drafting with score keeping

Forbidden Island - get off the island before it sinks with the treasure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Shoes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
prov326 wrote:
* Splendor --- 4-player max, but a really simple game to teach and understand. It's been a hit with everyone to whom I've introduced it.

* Carcassonne --- I'm sure you've either tried this already or at least thought about it... it's a winner with my groups.

* Dixit --- Maybe too simple for your groups; we usually play it with younger kids, but the adults have fun, too.

Thank you Meep

We tried Carcassonne, waaay back. It just did not hit the spot for the family group (which surprises almost everyone). We also had Dixit for a while and the two more imaginative family members enjoyed it - the others were left a little bemused by it all.. Such a shame as it is a beautiful game

Splendor might well work for us though and looks good fun for the school group. Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Shoes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
CaptainMench wrote:
Here are a few games we are playing right now that you might enjoy with both groups...

Specter Ops - up to 5 players, but 3 is sweet spot though 4 works well.

The Cave - can't tell you how much play we've gotten out of this one - up to 5 players, too!

King of New York - still works great at 6 players!!

Of course getting copies of CamelUp and Colt Express would be fun and we still play those. Just did a 10 player CamelUp and two back to back 6 player Colt Express.

-mike

Thank you Mike

We had King of New York and this was a flop with us, as mentioned in the original post, Camel Up was also not our thing. Cave however, looks like it could work for us, and I like how every game is a little different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Shoes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Tokomi wrote:
Exploding kittens - Uno meets card based Russian roulette. Keep in mind there are two versions so make sure you get the base and not the NSFW.

Sushi go - fun quick card drafting with score keeping

Forbidden Island - get off the island before it sinks with the treasure.

Thank you Brian

I think that all of these might work - the first two especially for the teens - Exploding Kittens would be a nice follow up to Kittens in a Blender! Family group would likely also enjoy Sushi Go. I am kicking myself because my last visit to the game store, the assistant tried to persuade me into Forbidden Island and I just was not having it - it sound like a game for little children. I was obviously wrong!

Thank you for your input EVERYONE - very helpful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.