BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Would you say 2015 is one of weaker years? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
perka pls
msg tools
Title ^

2014 was unbelieveable!

Been in this hobby (and on BGG) for about 2 years but just now decided to register. I am struggling to find new interesting board games from this year, any recommendations are highly appreciated! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2014 was solid. 2012 was the standout year though. It just depends on what you are looking for. So far from 2015 this is what I have bought:

Locks for staying around:
Codenames
The Gallerist
Baseball Highlights 2045: Super Deluxe Edition
The Best Treehouse Ever

Wait and see:
Mottainai
Harbor
Loony Quest

In waiting:
Viticulture: Essential Edition(cheating, I know)
Liberty or Death

There's easily 3-4 more games of note, but I don't feel the need to get them. Oh, and 2013 was rather underwhelming. The best games were filled with retreads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Phillips
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like someone asks this question every year. I think what really happens is that most people reach a saturation point where no new releases feel like the offer anything different from what you already own. If you have purchased a lot of new games in the past two years, it would make sense that the shine of the hobby has dulled slightly.

This is a good thing. It will make you more discerning and wiser with your purchases. I haven't been in the hobby a long time (only since 2007), but I know I make much better decisions now than I did 5 years ago. I deliberately look for things that have something new to offer to add to my collection. Beyond that, I pay attention to specific designers that I know make the sorts of games I enjoy playing.

What's new and good this year?

Mysterium

Code Names

Champions of Midgard (it's the evolution of Lords of Waterdeep)

La Granja

Space Cadets: Away Missions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chad winters
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel 2015 has been an above average year. Not every year can keep popping out top 100 games over and over. But I have bought just as many great games this year as any other. One of the things that stand out to me about 2015 is the diversity of the games. Just use the advanced search for just this year and you will see that this year has already put out great Euros, Amerithrash, party and games mixing more than one genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. More of a niche year. Not a lot "good for everyone" games, more significant group games.
Pandemic Legacy is the big one.
Food Chain Magnate came from Splotter this year; any year a Splotter design is released is a good year.
A Game of Gnomes was released for Fragor brothers' fans.
504 for fans of hmm...those who like to rearrange games to make other games.
Spielworxx and What Your Game? released some heavier titles for that crowd (me included).
The Gallerist for Vital Lacerda fans.
Hengist for fans of not so stellar games from Uwe Rosenberg.
Ships for Martin Wallace fans.
Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization, Nations: The Dice Game, and even the beast that is Mega Civilization for civ fans.
Roll for the Galaxy: Ambition expansion for Roll For The Galaxy fans.
the list goes on and on. I can say it was a very nice year.

...and for my fans (family, friends, various reptiles and rodents, a cat next door, etc), before the end of the year my co-op, Healthy Heart Hospital will make a nice addition to the list. devil self plug devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's way too early to say. But there's already one 2015 game in the Top 10, so it can't be that bad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Mandeville
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me yes. I have bought some expansions but as far as new games goes very little of interest. Albion's Legacy, Queen's Architect, Elysium (only as it was very cheap) and Thunderbirds plus a couple of smaller card games.
I agree 2012 was good, 2013 as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
I currently rate 2015 as the 4th best year for me, 1990-present. (1997 is first, 2013 second, and 1995 third.)

I'm not sure it will hold up - it doesn't _feel_ like it's been as spectacular a year as 2004 or 2013, but that's what the numbers say.

Overall, 2013-2015 has been a wonderful change from 2008-2012, which included three of the four worst years for me. 2014 was just OK - if better than any year 2008-2012 - but 2013 and 2015 have been exceptional.

Edit: based upon 78 different 2015 releases played to date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
huber wrote:
Edit: based upon 78 different 2015 releases played to date.

all I can say is W surprise W
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just one of those things that's going to be a case by case basis. I personally think that this year produced just as many great games as 2014 or any other year for that matter. Here's a few of my recommendations from this year that haven't been mentioned so far.

Blood Rage
Forbidden Stars
Specter Ops
T.I.M.E Stories
7 Wonders Duel
The Grizzled
Fury of Dracula (third/fourth edition)

And I'll give a +1 to Baseball Highlights: 2045 cus it is a great game and I don't even really like baseball!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition) is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All Dilluvia Project needs is an expansion with varied kinds of building tiles to build. They already taught us the system. Give us an expansion? It could be really cool.

You made it balanced now make it more replayable and more fun and a little looser for those that would enjoy it?

That ratio momentum score track is fun.

I bet I will like 2015 fine when I play enough regular well rated euros from it. Mad King Ludwig destroyed our rankings lists and that was 2014. Marco Polo is 2015, and I will bet that one will do well with us. I am really looking forward to playing Bullfrogs. It looks like it could beat Crows and maybe Crosshairs for an abstract I would ask to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*scrolls down looking for most thumbed hence definitive post*

Seems a pretty subjective topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno, could be. Depends on whether you find games you like. I've found a few good ones this year.

So far I've bought a few nice 2015 games
To rave about:
Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn - Played a few times, very impressed
Forbidden Stars - Amazingsauce! This game is so freaking fantastic (assuming you like dudes on a map games)
The Grizzled - Clever and soulful WW1 coop. Clean, elegant, subtle.

Haven't played yet:
HoldFast: Korea 1950-1951
Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition)
Eight-Minute Empire: Lost Lands
Elysium
Epic
Triumph & Tragedy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tariff wrote:

I was ready to like this, I'm a fan of the designer, but for me it was clunky and disappointingly light. Perhaps with repeated plays with the same players it might come to life (not unknown in my experience, Tigris & Euphrates being one example), but I doubt it and I've put it up on Geek Market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Lokemoen
msg tools
It's all a matter of taste, plus it's very hard for me to say what game came out in which year. I get a chance to play a bunch of games right after Essen, so many of "this year's" games were last year's games for me.

Personally, I thought last year was bland and this year was surprisingly good, but I don't tend to run in the same direction as most of the fishes. Many games that are hailed as bust out successes are, in my opinion, bad games, and because they become popular, are backward steps for the hobby.

For example, Lords of Waterdeep -- people loved this game. In my opinion, it was a bad rip-off of Caylus that added "lose a turn" cards and contributed nothing to its year being a good year, in fact, maybe it detracted a bit.

Also, I don't expect ten good games in a year. Food Chain Magnate is almost as good as games get, though it may not have strong replayability (FCM, etc, Splotter?). Still, it's good enough on its own to make this at least a decent year.

Codenames is wonderful. 504 seems like a bit of a mess, and Gallerist is competent, but too long and derivative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Any opinion on the OP's central question has to be prefaced with "for me", right? I mean, 100's of titles get released every year. Some are amazing, some are sh*t. And ten gamers can look at the same set of games and have 10 different opinions on their merit. For a great example, the guy above me posits that Lords of Waterdeep detracted from its year. I'd have it as a top 5 game for me right now. But neither of us are "right" in a larger sense.

If you want to argue staying power, that's one thing. But for that, we need time. Probably 10 years, minimum. Beyond that, this is an impossibly subjective question.

Even if you disagree with me, for the majority of gamers - even BGGers, I'd wager - it takes a year or two for people to acquire everything from a given year that they might be interested in. Or even to hear about games that have caught on. So maybe this question can be answered with some degree of reliability, but I still think we're probably a year off from being able to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Nothing will come of nothing.
badge
Speak again.
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the number of games I'm still playing every year that are new to me from previous years I in no way feel qualified to judge this year or any other.

We got a lot of play out of Codenames though, and I picked up a few other new games I hope to enjoy.

I spend more money each year on games from past years than the current one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I found 2015 a little weak in comparison to some other years. I did find a few good gems, like Ponzi Scheme, and Nippon, so finding a few good really good games is on par with most other years. But overall a light year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy a lot of games this year, including:

Codenames
New York 1901
The Builders: Antiquity
Catacombs New version
Blood Rage
Artifacts, Inc.
T.I.M.E Stories
Flick 'em Up!
The Grizzled

And the ones I'm very much looking forward to playing:
Warband: Against the Darkness
Above and Below
Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition)
The Gallerist
Pandemic Legacy: Season 1
7 Wonders Duel
Between Two Cities
Discoveries
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King
Nautilus Industries
One Night Revolution
Two Rooms and a Boom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steampunk Rally's a fun game. So is Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King thumbsup

mawilson4 wrote:

If you want to argue staying power, that's one thing. But for that, we need time. Probably 10 years, minimum. Beyond that, this is an impossibly subjective question.

Sadly, not a lot of games are are still in print 10 years later, even good ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
RenaissanceMom wrote:
Steampunk Rally's a fun game. So is Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King thumbsup

mawilson4 wrote:

Sadly, not a lot of games are are still in print 10 years later, even good ones.

Agreed, though I made that particular point because I think "staying power" is a variable that is a bit more easily defined, as opposed to "good or bad?" for a given year. Many games will be out of print; I agree there. But that's at least trackable. Trying to assign merit to a year based on the quality of games is, even for the most thorough of us, incomplete and subjective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I wouldn't say that, because 2015 has been a great year for boardgaming for me! I guess the OP is probably talking in terms of releases, but that's not that important to me, because there's still so many games from previous years that are new to me.

As far as releases go...Blood Rage. Nuff said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawkeye
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perkapls wrote:
Title ^

2014 was unbelieveable!

Been in this hobby (and on BGG) for about 2 years but just now decided to register. I am struggling to find new interesting board games from this year, any recommendations are highly appreciated! Thanks!

2015 was a great year for me ...

Churchill
Leaving Earth
Pax Pamir
The U.S. Civil War
Empire of the Sun 2nd Edition
Hakkaa Päälle!: ASL Module 14
W1815
1714: The Case of the Catalans
Thunderbirds

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.