Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Banks
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I would like to play a solo season of about 8-10 teams using the century league cards. The problem I am having is that it is not really fun drafting all of the teams as it is not clear at the end of the process which team is really 'mine'.

With that in mind I wanted to see if there was any interest in doing a draft with the century league cards? If there is enough interest perhaps a group skype call could be arranged one day in which everyone could draw their teams. With enough planning and preparation ahead of time, I imagine the draft could be reasonably quick.

Each of the managers could also give team names and - if they want - some sense of how their team should be played. This would create a more interesting AI to play against.

As I say, I think somewhere between 8-10 would probably be best. Any takers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you will need to use the extra players free download in order to have enough players for all positions.

I had fun drafting 8 teams myself (using the extra players, too), by sorting the cards by positions with "full time regulars" on top of the stacks, and then trying to make sure that each team (going from 1-8, the 8-1) got at least 1 player for each field position, 3 pitchers, and a utility player before drafting the rest. It may not be "realistic" but it made for good teams that are worth playing against each other, with each team having different strengths, but none being over-powered or having no good assets.

So, I'm not interested, but I hope you find some people who are if you don't decide to do it yourself.

EDIT: Clarification: Any stack can be chosen from (in other words, all 8 teams do not have to choose from the same stack each round).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Banks
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I knew it was kind of a longshot. I guess I was just trying to avoid the in-built biases I have when thinking about what makes a great baseball team. For instance, I like strong lead-off hitters and a strong bull-pen. But it would be fun to draft against people who might have other philosophies.

Ah well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
DBanks wrote:
Yeah, I knew it was kind of a longshot. I guess I was just trying to avoid the in-built biases I have when thinking about what makes a great baseball team. For instance, I like strong lead-off hitters and a strong bull-pen. But it would be fun to draft against people who might have other philosophies.

Ah well!

What about coming up with a bunch of different possible philosophies, and assigning one to each team for the draft, and then sticking to each team's philosophy as closely as possible? That should give you some variety between the teams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to be very fond of what I refer to as "shuffle drafts", similar to one of the suggestions here. I would sort all the cards by position (and if I do it again I'd use status too), shuffle each of the decks I'd made, and distribute the players to the teams. Then each team would cut to the requisite roster size (usually 25 for baseball, 45 for Anerican Football, or 12 for basketball). I would literally never know what I was going to get.

I'd love to do something equivalent for Action PC Baseball sometime, though it might not be easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Banks
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[/q]What about coming up with a bunch of different possible philosophies, and assigning one to each team for the draft, and then sticking to each team's philosophy as closely as possible? That should give you some variety between the teams.[/q]

This is a good idea. Now I have to think of seven other philosophies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DBanks wrote:
Quote:
What about coming up with a bunch of different possible philosophies, and assigning one to each team for the draft, and then sticking to each team's philosophy as closely as possible? That should give you some variety between the teams.

This is a good idea. Now I have to think of seven other philosophies!

Looking at each team's park will help determine you choices of drafting strategy. If you have a SMALL/SMALL park, you know you're going to surrender home runs at some point, so you can plan accordingly. In a LARGE/LARGE park, on the other hand, homers are at a premium and pitching and defense are more valuable to keep opposing offenses contained -- and the type of hitters you draft may also change!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.