Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
As you can probably guess from the subject header, I'm not a tactical wargamer. My preferred scale is definitely battle-level and operational, as evidenced both by my collection and my own designs. I've also stuck pretty closely to the eras that interest me the most-- the 19th Century and middle ages. I've made a few toe-dipping attempts in the tactical and 20th Century pools, but never got ankle-deep as of yet.

Part of the reason why I try is that I'm genuinely curious about games at this scale-- to a degree; if a turn represents two minutes and takes ten minutes to play, I'm going to call shenanigans something fierce. And part of it is that I work with Flying Pig Games and Tiny Battle Publishing, both of which have tactical games in their line-up. Many of the scenarios published in Flying Pig's magazine, Yaah!, are for tactical scale games, and I'd like to be able to develop the chops to evaluate these all on my own instead of turning to others and saying, "I think this works, but you know me and tactical games; could you take a look at this and give it a spin?"

So!

1. Do any of you wizened platoon commanders and squad leaders, advanced or otherwise, have any advice on getting into, and learning, tactical level games?

2. Any recommendations for a tactical level system I can try out? I've tried Valor & Victory-- I mostly kinda got it, I think, but didn't learn to play it particularly well-- and I'm already getting copies of Tiny Battle's iteration of In The Trenches, since I'm doing the cover designs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warfighter: The Tactical Special Forces Card Game

Modern Land Battles: Target Acquired

Ranger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Kenneth Deal WW 2 Belgium 1944/45
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this one? Loads of fun.

Ambush!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
if a turn represents two minutes and takes ten minutes to play, I'm going to call shenanigans something fierce

That's the problem I have with squad level games--it feels like battle using Tai Chi.

I've gotten so that I prefer platoon level (usually about 15 minute turns) and company level (usually about 60-120 minute turns).

For platoon level, I like: the Panzer Grenadier series, and Mark Walker's Nations at War Series and World at War Series.

I'm still looking for a good series at company or battalion level. I have A Test of Mettle: Three Battles of the Lorraine Campaign, September 1944 and the Paul Koenig's D-Day series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb

Sniper! (second edition) is what I like to call "ultra-tactical"; the counters represent individual men and the time scale is seconds per turn rather than multi man counters and a couple minutes per turn. It is relatively easy to find and not at the high end of out of print games however, I found the rules to be a bit of a trudge but if you have read any of the old AH, SPI, Victory rule books it isn't all that terrible.

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for but you may see of this fits the bill.

I also can't let this thread go by without mentioning my all time favorite game Squad Leader; and Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1 which are both excellent introductions to the tactical game scale and not all that difficult to get to playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
Quote:
if a turn represents two minutes and takes ten minutes to play, I'm going to call shenanigans something fierce

For platoon level, I like: the Panzer Grenadier series, and Mark Walker's Nations at War Series and World at War Series.

Note that PG also has Panzer Grenadier (Modern): 1967 – Sword of Israel. It's the only one in the PG-Modern series, although more are promised in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tomrussell wrote:
1. Do any of you wizened platoon commanders and squad leaders, advanced or otherwise, have any advice on getting into, and learning, tactical level games?

I would get one of the Band of Brothers games -- Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer, Screaming Eagles or Texas Arrows -- and play every scenario until you get a real feel for it. At that point you may decide (as I have) that the game has enough depth that that's sufficient for you. If not, you will have a strong foundation from which to evaluate other squad level games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Robinson
United Kingdom
Barrow in Furness
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy Lock n loads series which works well in their WW2/Vietnam/Cold war games plus they have just re-released them, scale is individual vehicles and sections of men with individual leaders and Hero's

Lock 'n Load Tactical: Heroes of Normandy
Lock 'n Load Tactical: Heroes of the Nam
Lock 'n Load Tactical: Heroes of the Falklands

Full series here
Lock 'n Load Tactical

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zigihogan wrote:

Sniper! (second edition) is what I like to call "ultra-tactical"; the counters represent individual men and the time scale is seconds per turn rather than multi man counters and a couple minutes per turn. It is relatively easy to find and not at the high end of out of print games however, I found the rules to be a bit of a trudge but if you have read any of the old AH, SPI, Victory rule books it isn't all that terrible.

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for but you may see of this fits the bill.

I also can't let this thread go by without mentioning my all time favorite game Squad Leader; and Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1 which are both excellent introductions to the tactical game scale and not all that difficult to get to playing.

+1 to ASL starter kit. But Lock'n Load, Band of Brothers and Combat Commander will all teach you many basic concepts used in squad level games. ASL starter kit #1 is really cheap, though. And I know it has good scenarios. Not saying the others don't, I just don't know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Boerman

Maynard
Massachusetts
msg tools
"Stick with me folks...I got all the answers."
mbmbmbmbmb
Two words...

PHANTOM FURY
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/91010/phantom-fury

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Urban Operations

Yet to be published but worth to ceck out imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.