Bohnanza» Forums » Variants

Subject: Open Bean Market rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoffrey Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Hello BGG, I had to make a modification to a card game for a school a project and I thought this would be a good opportunity to share it and get some feedback from the community.

The Mod:

This variant of Bohnanza adds an "Open Bean Market" to the game that allows players to push their luck, make meaningful decisions, and give the players more things to think about on their turn. Every turn the Bean Market will grow and players will have the opportunity to buy from it to expand their fields.

Expanding the Market:

After a player has planted beans from their hand and flipped over two cards for the trading the phase, the active player then adds the top two cards of the deck to the open bean market, face-up. Cards added to the open market will stay there until they are bought. If a bean that is added to the open market is already represented, it is added to that pile. For instance, Robert adds a Soy Bean and a Blue Bean to the Open Market. There is already one Soy Bean in the Open Market, but no Blue Beans. The Soy Bean is placed on top of the Soy Bean already in the Open Market while the Blue Bean starts its own new pile. There is now a stack of two Soy Beans and a stack of one Blue Bean in the Open Market.

Buying from the Market:

The active player on their turn may discard the top most coin from their coin stack to plant all of the beans in a single stack from the Open Bean Market. A player may only do this once per turn and only the active player can buy from the Open Bean Market. A player cannot trade beans bought from the Open Market.

Other Information

Everything else about the game stays the same. The game still ends when the deck is run through three times. Any beans that are still in the Open Bean Market are discarded at the end of the game.

So far, response from this mod has been very positive. Because players cannot buy from the market for the first few turns, the market builds up and tension rises as players race to be the first to buy a huge stack of beans. From limited testing, it does not seem that the first player has much of an advantage even though they will likely have the means the buy from the market first.

Thank you for reading, and I appreciate any and all feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drakegt wrote:
The Mod:

This variant of Bohnanza adds an "Open Bean Market" to the game that allows players to push their luck, make meaningful decisions, and give the players more things to think about on their turn. Every turn the Bean Market will grow and players will have the opportunity to buy from it to expand their fields.

Interesting variant, but the phrasing of the bolded part is a bit provactive, since I think a lot of people would argue the game already has plenty of meaningful decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Ah right, I meant that the variant added more decisions, not that the game didn't have a lot already! Thank you for the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.