Hide
4 Posts

Mystery! Motive for Murder» Forums » Rules

Subject: Arrow switch rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karin Almjeld
msg tools
A couple of the suspect cards state that if their match is not in another relationship, the arrow is a blue value. If their match is in another relationship, the arrow is red. After the jealous suspect card is played on a match that does not yet have another relationship, does their arrow switch from blue to red if another player adds a lover/spouse to the match card?

(e.g., Lord Ivan the jealous husband is married to Agatha, who at the time of play does not have any other lover cards matched to her. A couple rounds later, Agatha has acquired a lover. Does the relationship arrow from Ivan to Agatha then switch from Blue 5 to Red 7?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that would only switch at the time the card was played and wouldn't change an arrow after the fact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Glassco
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
As long as Lord Ivan believes that he's the only man in his wife's life, he has a blue arrow of affection towards her. But as soon as a lover is played, his arrow immediately switches to red. (This is also true if the Secret Marriage card is played on her.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo W

Maryland
msg tools
My wife and I disagree over this same question!

I say the arrows should always change to match the conditions of the game.

I rationalize that view like this: in the game I am a detective asking people questions. Say I play a tile with a red/blue condition early in the game; it would make sense that some other detective might come in later and discover a fact that makes my understanding of the murder investigation completely wrong!

I guess an opposing viewpoint could say that if I interview a switch motive person early in the game, it could be that the suspect doesn't "know" of the other relationship until some detective later discovers it. But to me it doesn't make sense that we would expect a suspect to know only that which a player/detective has uncovered in its early game interviews. I think the opposite should be assumed, that the characters do know all the motives and it's the player/detectives understanding that can change.

Also changing motives mid game messes with people's stategy more, so that's more fun. Haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.