Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
There is no try...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All

I wanted to post this in some sort of Australia Wide forum but there doesn't seem to be an option for that, so I thought I would keep it local (and the ACT has the second highest activity anyway!)

With the Secret Santa exchanges going on, I noticed that people who live in apartments/units have issues receiving their items when they are not home.

For those who don't know, Australia Post have an amazing service called Parcel Collect, where you can get items shipped directly to a post office or a 'parcel locker', rather than your home address.

This is especially useful if you live in an apartment, as you don't have to worry about posties trying to stuff things into your mailbox, or leaving items out in the hallway, or anything else unsecure.

If you get the item shipped to a post office (parcel collect), then you get an email and/or sms when you package has arrived and you can go and collect it within a week or so.

Alternatively, you can get the items put in a 'parcel locker', where there is 24/7 access to a secure locker outside an AusPost store where you package will be kept for you to come and collect (usually within 48 hours).

If anyone wants to know more, this is the link with all the info about the service:

http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/parcel-collect.html

Finally, no, I am not in any way affiliated with Australia Post. I just live(d) in an apartment and found the service incredibly useful for peace of mind and security when ordering games and getting them delivered.

Hope this helps a few people, although I am not sure if you can change your delivery details for the Secret Santas anymore..?

Merry Christmas everyone!!

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention that the service is 100% FREE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of our flatmates has used Parcel Collect for some stuff, and she seems pretty happy with the results. I know there's one at the Belco Aus Post Business Centre on Cohen Street, and the big Post Office in the city has them too.

Personally, I'll probably stick with my PO Box for most things but I definitely see the benefits in Parcel Collect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
Australia
Dickson
ACT
flag msg tools
??!
badge
And when you gaze long into Ducky Momo, Ducky Momo also gazes into you.
mb
Parcel lockers are awesome. They've got some in Dickson as well. The important and irritating caveat is that only Auspost and Startrack can deliver to them, so anyone using another courier can cause you some grief.

(He says, just having driven to #($%&#*! Hume to pick up something from Fastway.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
There is no try...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
srand wrote:
Parcel lockers are awesome. They've got some in Dickson as well. The important and irritating caveat is that only Auspost and Startrack can deliver to them, so anyone using another courier can cause you some grief.

(He says, just having driven to #($%&#*! Hume to pick up something from Fastway.)

Ahhh Fastway.. been stung by them twice now..

But yes, the Parcel Lockers are awesome indeed! There is one in Kingston (right near my work) and Mawson, which makes collecting stuff on the way to/from home invaluable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Lawrence
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a shift worker, the Parcel lockers are awesome.
I'll have a message and email when I depart work and can collect the parcel on the way home.

This saves the delivery driver calling during the day (probably waking me up) or waiting for the 'collect after 4pm' card that is left when you miss the delivery.

Finally, if you are out of area when a parcel arrives and can't meet the deadline, the Post Office that is arranging the parcel lockers can treat the parcel like a normal delivery (placing a ticket in your mailbox) and it frees up the parcel locker for other deliveries. Alternatively, give the unlock code to a trusted agent.

I use the Parcel Lockers in Canberra City, and the only issue is limited car parks (which is off topic here). Thankfully I'm within walking distance, depending on the size of the parcel =)

Maximum convenience, zero cost.
If there are parcel lockers near your residence, this service is win-win.
(I'm also not affiliated with AusPost)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've been using their service for a while now and you can set up several collection points, not just close to your home. They can be Parcel lockers or Parcel Collection at the actual post office. Recently, I even got a USA address with their shopmate service, while probably not the cheapest, but still good to have the option to get stuff sent to you from USA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amiguero wrote:

I've been using their service for a while now and you can set up several collection points, not just close to your home. They can be Parcel lockers or Parcel Collection at the actual post office. Recently, I even got a USA address with their shopmate service, while probably not the cheapest, but still good to have the option to get stuff sent to you from USA.

ShopMate is good for stores that refuse to ship outside the US (as long as you're buying stuff that should be fine to bring in to Aus of course), and if you're ordering something that's free shipping within the US then it *might* work out slightly cheaper than getting it sent direct, but otherwise it tends to be a bit pricey. I learned this the hard way from last year's Jack Vasel Auction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard :
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amiguero wrote:

I use the Australia Post parcel lockers for my game purchases and other online shopping. I can't rate them highly enough - being able to pick up your parcel at a time that suits you, instead of waiting at home for ages for the time that suits the van driver.

I also set up a Shopmate account for the USA, but had to laugh when I tried to use my parcel locker as the forwarding address, and had it respond by saying that it was an invalid address (i.e. one Australia Post system saying that an Australia Post issued address is invalid!!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the bilge rat wrote:

I also set up a Shopmate account for the USA, but had to laugh when I tried to use my parcel locker as the forwarding address, and had it respond by saying that it was an invalid address (i.e. one Australia Post system saying that an Australia Post issued address is invalid!!).

Easy fix, just add your parcel locker details in the same field as your name, and complete the rest of the address details as normal. It worked for me. I entered a fb competition and won a game, but they required USA address, so shopmate saved the day
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.