Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid to look at the photos for fear of being spoiled, so I was just wondering what the general custom is.

Do people post photos showing spoilers?

Is it considered okay to do so?

I'm talking about the main game gallery; obviously I expect to see spoiler images from personal galleries used in the relevant session reports.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunyazad wrote:
I'm afraid to look at the photos for fear of being spoiled, so I was just wondering what the general custom is.

Do people post photos showing spoilers?

Is it considered okay to do so?

I'm talking about the main game gallery; obviously I expect to see spoiler images from personal galleries used in the relevant session reports.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

I have seen some spoiler images in the game gallery, fortunately not for things I don't already know, but I've stopped looking there just in case.

Edit: I don't know whether it is considered OK, but I don't see any rule to prevent it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. There are users that posted spoiling images in the public gallery.
That actually threw at least 2 huge spoilers in my face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Johnson
United States
Chester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, unfortunately, folks are posting spoiler images. When I clicked on one of the "hot" images on the Pandemic Legacy home page it took me to that image... above which was a queue of spoiler images. angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
If legacy games are going to become more popular (and after this, how could they not?) it feels as though BGG is going to need a better way of handling spoilers.

Thoughts include:

• Allow a forum to define spoiler tags and dependencies between them.
• Spoilered blocks can be tagged with what spoiler they are.
• A user can say which tags are non-spoiler for them.
• The tag names themselves are spoiler-proofed. If tag "mayonnaise" depends on tag "egg", you don't accidentally know there's a "mayonnaise" spoiler tag until you've said you're fine with "egg" spoilers.
• Users can quarantine posts, replies and photos others make which they believe ought to have been tagged. They say what tag they think the item should have had, and only users with that tag are asked whether or not they agree. They get provisional-spoiler designation in the meantime.
• Give geek gold to users who correctly quarantine things
• If users repeatedly falsely quarantine, suspend their provisional-spoiler privileges
• Give geek gold to those who arbitrate quarantined items in the same way as review moderation

Could be a lot of work to get right!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not to be rude, but how could a picture of a game that changes as you play it NOT be a spoiler? If you are so concerned about spoilers, don't look at pictures of the ever-changing board game.

Unless all you want are pictures of a sealed box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
moliver wrote:
Not to be rude, but how could a picture of a game that changes as you play it NOT be a spoiler?

To take an analogy, look at the BGG entry for Pandemic Legacy. As is usual, it lists the game components. But, it only lists the ones that are public knowledge before you break open the Legacy deck and start January, then has a coy "And many surprises!"

Broadly, if it's on that list, a photo of it isn't a spoiler. There's plenty of scope for good and useful photos of that stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you know you want to play this game, and you know you don't want spoilers, stop looking at the BGG entry for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
If you know you want to play this game, and you know you don't want spoilers, stop looking at the BGG entry for this game.

In general, I agree with you.
However, there is a very useful and spoiler-sensible thread of FAQ that I'd outright missed if I weren't subscribed to this game's entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
mbmbmbmbmb
I skimmed through the gallery towards the end of the game, and there are actually far fewer spoilers than I expected—I didn't notice anything immediately obvious past April, though I didn't look at all the one-thumb photos and I skipped one that seemed sort of risky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pinter
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
moliver wrote:
Not to be rude, but how could a picture of a game that changes as you play it NOT be a spoiler? If you are so concerned about spoilers, don't look at pictures of the ever-changing board game.

Unless all you want are pictures of a sealed box?

Hmm, this was my first experience with pandemic. I didn't buy the game and it stays at my friends house. I just wanted to see a picture of the game board (in it's base state) between plays...and I heard that this board is (slightly) different from base pandemic. So not to be rude, but why wouldn't I want to be able to see pictures? Also, I thought a large purpose of BGG pictures was the "share the hobby/experience" which can be done while not posting spoilers (either through creative photo taking, actually hiding spoilers away before snapping pic, or post editing).

Now, posting a pic that shows a changed board from options that are available from the base rules should not be a problem. And I think everyone would respect a poster's best effort at being conscientious...because if you are looking very zoomed in for minor details in the corner or background of a pic and catch something then yeah, you're probably shouldn't do that if not wanting to spoil something (that's where I'd agree with your opinion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.