Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
53 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » General

Subject: Will there be expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a question for all you knowledgeable gamers out there.

Do you think this will be a "one off" type game or could there be expansions?

Imperial Assault is very similar to Descent. When it came out, it was obvious that there would be expansions like Descent.

From what I can tell Rebellion is fairly unique. Some people have compared it to the War of the Ring or Twilight Empirium.

I can't see there being expansions, as everything from the movies is pretty much covered in this box (there are "3 acts" of a certain type of card which corresponds to the three Star Wars movies).

Thoughts?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's FFG AND a game that's already guaranteed to sell like crazy, even TI3 is up to 3 expansions at this point, and WOTR has something like... 2 if I'm not mistaken?

I would be astonished if they didn't at least release an expansion to cover the new movies (possibly one for each movie even), and before that I wouldn't be surprised if we got a third player/scum faction expansion.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:

From what I can tell Rebellion is fairly unique. Some people have compared it to Twilight Empirium.


Those people are wrong.

I can see scenario expansions (sets of cards/characters that represent a specific time period), but I can't see expansions like Descent or even TI.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Killeen
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see potential for expansions. Territories, factions, etc. Sales for the original game will set the tone for that I am sure.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
More than anything, the biggest determining factor to whether or not there will be expansions, is how well it sells. If it sells well, then anything is possible. Why wouldn't FFG want more $$$$?

When Twilight Imperium 3E released, it appeared it was so all-encompassing in that huge tomb box that no expansion would ever really be needed. And yet they released 2 expansions for it because it sold well.

I think this will be the same. I'd lean towards saying no expansion is probably *planned* for it right now, but if it sells really well and holds enough interest FFG would be stupid to not cash in.

As for what it would cover? Who knows. They could include scenarios, ships, cards, etc. from the new incoming trilogy of movies, or even some Prequel stuff if FFG would think outside the OT box for once.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No. No way.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
It's FFG AND a game that's already guaranteed to sell like crazy, even TI3 is up to 3 expansions at this point, and WOTR has something like... 2 if I'm not mistaken?

Point taken, although TI3 only has 2 expansions (and the second one came out several years after the first expansion), and when WOTR was in FFG's hands it only had one expansion. (2nd Edition may have more, I'm not sure, but it's no longer an FFG product).

I can see this one maybe having expansions, but if it does, it would probably be only one. But it may depend on how "expandable" the game engine is and how well it does, too.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Wang
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Procurer of rare and exclusive titles.
badge
I'm blue daba dee daba die daba deeeeeee daba die
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahahaha. This is fantasy flight and this is part of the Starwars IP. I'd be surprised if there is going to be fewer than 4-5 expansions.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Stansfield
Austria
Vienna
European Union
flag msg tools
badge
live every day as if it were your first
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Straddllw wrote:
Ahahaha. This is fantasy flight and this is part of the Starwars IP. I'd be surprised if there is going to be fewer than 4-5 expansions.

STAR WARS: REBELLION
EXPANSION VII


„It’s a period of desolation. Rebel spaceships, which were neither included in the base game nor in the following six expansions, are desperately needed so the rebels can gain the decisive and final victory against the evil Galactic Empire! Rebel spies managed to uncover Fantasy Flight Games plans to publish infinite numbers of expansions for STAR WARS: REBELLION to destroy the solvency of their customers for all time!

Pursued by the FFG sinister agents, Princess Leia races home aboard her starship that was included in the third expansion, custodian of the stolen plans that can prevent many unnecessary expenditures and restore freedom to the galaxy…“
31 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan P.
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
I suspect there will be fewer expansions - I don't expect mini-expansions. But big boxed expansions? Sure.

I'm sure they'll have lots of space in which to grow. The fact that they keep mentioning that there are two boards, combining into one to make the play area, suggests that maybe the boards will be modular.

Mini-wise, they can probably make an expansion in which there are extra types of units, like A-wing/B-Wing, Nebulon-B frigates, Victory star destroyers, interceptors, etc...

Not to mention the Millenium falcon - though the minis all seem to represent military-sized groups, I'm sure they could find a way to shoehorn it in there.

Their possibilities are endless, really. And who knows how completely the cards will cover the trilogy? And what kind of mechanics they'll want to play with?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex

Québec
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll eat my hat if there is not at least one big box expansion. I think it's like 99% likely.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You might need to be tenderising that hat now in preparation, I don't think there'll be a big box expansion for this - that would be called Star Wars: The Force Awakens...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Already. We do not even know anything about this game.

But I am hoping that the game will not need expansions.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably not.

Based upon the information about gameplay and mechanics that has been revealed so far, this game appears to encompass the major events and lore involving the original trilogy.

There is certainly asymmetry here (the Empire can field one light space unit as a TIE fighter while the Rebel Alliance can select the X-wing or Y-wing). Of course, I have no idea why they picked a ship that doesn't even appear in the first three movies to be the Empire's medium space unit choice. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gozanti-class_cruiser

If you were hoping for more models, then I think our only hope is that FFG has not revealed all of the game components at this time and is saving some (Nebulon B Frigate, TIE bomber, B-wing, etc.) for a surprise to reward the faithful.

But if that were the case, I don't interpret it as a good sign that the chaps at SUSD didn't mention these other components in their recent podcast when they were invited to play the Beta.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tommygunn2011 wrote:
I have no idea why they picked a ship that doesn't even appear in the first three movies to be the Empire's medium space unit choice. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gozanti-class_cruiser

Three reasons, I'd bet: It's in X-Wing/Armada, it's in Rebels so it's recognizable in the current slate of Star Wars stuff, and no Imperial ship shown in the movies fits the role.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
tommygunn2011 wrote:
I have no idea why they picked a ship that doesn't even appear in the first three movies to be the Empire's medium space unit choice. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gozanti-class_cruiser

Three reasons, I'd bet: It's in X-Wing/Armada, it's in Rebels so it's recognizable in the current slate of Star Wars stuff, and no Imperial ship shown in the movies fits the role.


Point taken, but then I think the Imperial raider Class corvette is a nicer-looking model for them to issue. The other option was that they don't have a corvette or frigate-level space unit at all- just more capitol ships.

It might have been a reasonable design choice, but it's an ugly pony from the aesthetic point of view.

Like I said, maybe there are some surprises in the box...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do bears wear hats? Does the Pope shit in the woods?

Canon sources for expansions:

Rebels/A New Dawn - small-ish box? mid box? - adds the ships, characters and events. Kanan, Hera, and the Ghost are still flying around during the lead-up to the Battle of Yavin. The Inquisitor is dispatched elsewhere in the galaxy while Vader oversees Death Star operations. Events that describe how the Rebellion actually starts.

Rogue One - promo/small box. Events and characters as described in the movie. Possibly included in the above?

Clone Wars - big box. Ancillary map that includes locales like Mandalore (starts out neutral and has to pick sides!) and Mustafar. Lots of new events and mechanics that pivot the Republic into the Empire, maybe a quest for a Jedi to learn the secrets of immortality. New characters and ships, Republic-era Venators are still knocking around until replaced by VSDs.

Han Solo and Boba Fett Anthology movies - I mean, c'mon! Maybe both of them together in a combined "scum and villainy" expansion with mercenary mechanics for hiring smugglers and bounty hunters.

TFA - I think this is less likely, because it drastically changes the victory conditions of the base game from the climax of the Orig Trig. Seems to undermine the whole point of the board game. Besides, the Prequel Trilogy and Sequel Trilogy may get their own Rebellion-esque treatments.

Legends sources for expansions:
Shadows of the Empire - big box, definitely - lots of juicy stuff that happened in parallel to the Original Trilogy, ships, characters, events, locations. Maybe a map expansion, maybe new mechanics as the Black Sun are introduced as a third spoiler faction, like the Hutts from the Star Wars Risk game. Holy shit, Shadows interacts so much with Eps V and VI that this would completely shake up Rebellion, it would be amazing!

Thrawn crisis and Yuzhong Vong - Like TFA, I think the board game culminates with the battle for the Death Star II, and any board game content after that seems to subtract from how pivotal and epic that battle was.

I mean, there's so much to pull from, even if you restrict the content of a Rebellion expansion in whatever way, be it canonicity, or time frame, or whatever. I don't think there's any hypothetical alternate universe where FFG *doesn't* make expansions for Rebellion. They practically write themselves.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tommygunn2011 wrote:
Point taken, but then I think the Imperial raider Class corvette is a nicer-looking model for them to issue. The other option was that they don't have a corvette or frigate-level space unit at all- just more capitol ships.

It might have been a reasonable design choice, but it's an ugly pony from the aesthetic point of view.

Like I said, maybe there are some surprises in the box...

I don't think the Gozanti is *terrible* but you're right that the Raider looks much, much cooler. I think FFG went with the Gozanti because a Rebellion representation of the Raider would look too similar to a representation of a Star Destroyer. It's a small compromise, though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone ever seen the historical 4X computer games that Paradox publishes? There's

- Crusader Kings (medival Europe, Crusades, invasion of the Golden Horde)
- Europa Universalis (Age of Exploration, Renaissance)
- Victoria (Industrialization, revolution and liberalism, World War I)
- Hearts of Iron (World War II, early Cold War)

Each have a similar scope but different mechanics to reflect the era they represent. The whole group of them cover very well a long section of human (admittedly eurocentric) history with only small gaps in between. There are even fan-created programs that convert a savegame from a previous game to the next, so that players can play a nation as it navigates each era.

This is really large-scale and really blue-sky thinking, but wouldn't it be cool if there were three big standalone games like this, for each Trilogy - Clone Wars, Rebellion, and New Republic - that all use the same map, and can be daisy-chained for one epic campaign where the outcome of one game affects the next.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There probably won't be an expansions for Rebellion. Like, there's not much source material for them to work with, so what would they even put in an expansion?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
Like, there's not much source material for them to work with,


??????????
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there will be at least one medium-sized expansion. FFG rarely releases ANY game without at least one expansion planned.

I would also guess that the game will play fine without any expansions and that we won't see a large number of small expansions.

Maybe someone should make a poll?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
It's FFG AND a game that's already guaranteed to sell like crazy, even TI3 is up to 3 expansions at this point, and WOTR has something like... 2 if I'm not mistaken?

Point taken, although TI3 only has 2 expansions (and the second one came out several years after the first expansion), and when WOTR was in FFG's hands it only had one expansion. (2nd Edition may have more, I'm not sure, but it's no longer an FFG product).

I can see this one maybe having expansions, but if it does, it would probably be only one. But it may depend on how "expandable" the game engine is and how well it does, too.


I think this is much closer to the mark. WotR has been out for over 10 years, and we are now just seeing the 2nd expansion from the original creator. It's also a bit of an overlap in concept with the first edition expansion. The two expansions released from Ares are really equivalent to the first one from FFG, albeit a lot more fleshed out with more characters and more factions. But the concept was more or less the same.

What it may ultimately hinge on is just how balanced the game is. Personally, I am hoping that the game is so good a 2P game that it does not need, or may not even tolerate expansions well. Going back to WotR, the expansions were popular sellers, but really I think the majority of games are still played with only the base game. I have been playing for over 10 years and I still prefer to play the base game over expansions. WotR is just that good. I hope the same turns out to be true for Rebellion.

That said, I think there is a good chance that they will come up with something. After all, they are in business to sell games and this license isn't cheap I'm sure. An expansion which introduces new characters (and mechanics for them) or perhaps new factions within the existing 2P framework would be okay I think. But 4-5 expansions? I really doubt that. And anyway, I wouldn't bank on the ones they do come up with actually adding anything to gameplay, depending on how good the base game is.

But I am pretty sure that we won't see a third player added into the mix. If that can be done, I would suspect it would be because the game is weak. Again going back to WotR, there is no viable 3P game, and you'd have to tear it down to make one. If Rebellion is that tight a 2P game, you'd have to completely re-do it to accommodate three, or else they'd do it from the get-go.

What I'd like to see as an "expansion" would be to offer slightly more tactical scale games based on the core card/dice mechanics. Something like the Battle of Hoth, or Mission to Endor. Kind of like they did in WotR with the Rohan/Gondor battles or Battle of Five Armies. But one more thing to take into account is that whatever they offer may ultimately be depending on the licensing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
swankidelic wrote:
tommygunn2011 wrote:
Point taken, but then I think the Imperial raider Class corvette is a nicer-looking model for them to issue. The other option was that they don't have a corvette or frigate-level space unit at all- just more capitol ships.

It might have been a reasonable design choice, but it's an ugly pony from the aesthetic point of view.

Like I said, maybe there are some surprises in the box...

I don't think the Gozanti is *terrible* but you're right that the Raider looks much, much cooler. I think FFG went with the Gozanti because a Rebellion representation of the Raider would look too similar to a representation of a Star Destroyer. It's a small compromise, though.


I assume that the Gozanti was chosen as a counterpart to the Rebel Transport for some kind of non-combat role.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
GLOOOOOOOOOOOOOMHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Xookliba wrote:
What I'd like to see as an "expansion" would be to offer slightly more tactical scale games based on the core card/dice mechanics. Something like the Battle of Hoth, or Mission to Endor. Kind of like they did in WotR with the Rohan/Gondor battles or Battle of Five Armies. But one more thing to take into account is that whatever they offer may ultimately be depending on the licensing.


Or they could include little mini-game battles like in Titan, where you set up a small mini-map each time two armies battle. This would be the compromise between an immense player-done campaign mode that includes Armada / X-Wing battles in space and Imperial Assault skirmishes on the ground
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.