3 Posts

Afrika Korps» Forums » Variants

Subject: More Replacements, sooner rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
Seriously, this rule will make it very difficult for either side to win with the original rules. It is more of a simulation of what happened.*

More Replacements, sooner --

1] Beginning in April '41 the Br. get 2 Inf., 1 Armor, and 1/3 Recon Attack Factor per normal turn. To get the Recon AF they must roll a 1 or a 2. They can't roll for the Recon until they have a Recon unit on the map or in the dead pile.

2] Beginning in June '41 the Axis gets 2 Ger. AF and 1 It. DF per turn.

3] Ger. Panzer Reg. are rebuilt for 6 AF. The Ger. were very good at recovering and repairing broken down or battle damaged tanks.

4] Italian units are rebuilt using their Defense Factors not Attack Factors.

5] When the original Reinf. would begin both players get 1 AF [or DF] more if they hold Tobruch.

6] Related and Optional -- In July '41 the Br. can start to use 1 of their Inf. substitute counters. It represents 1 of their a Div. for the Tobruch garrison, but can be used elsewhere.
. . In Nov. '41 the Br. can start to use 1 of their Armor substitute counters. It represents Lend Lease Stuart Tanks.
. . In June '42 the Br. can start to use 1 of their Armor substitute counters. It represents Lend Lease Grant Tanks.

. * . You might try this Victory Condition.
. . To win a Marginal Victory a player must take Tobruch and hold it for 8 full months starting in 1941/42, 6 months starting in 1942, or 4 months starting in July '42. Other results are a draw.
. . The original victory conditions give you a Decisive Victory.

To make it easier for the Br. to recapture Tobruch, Axis Armored units are not doubled in Fortress hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lloyd
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I understand what you are trying to get at. Winning in the original rules was far too easy, especially for the Axis. Changing the replacement schedule does not however reflect the general staff situation that each side struggled under. Each side has the problem that its high command is expecting offensive action, but is in fact more concerned with the possibility of losing the campaign.

It that end, I suggest that most of your changes should be conditional upon the advance of the enemy. As long as the bulk of the enemy is in or behind the central area (like Derna to Sollum?), neither side gets a replacement advantage. Moving beyond that (an ill-defined condition right now) would begin triggering your modifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
plloyd1010 wrote:
I think I understand what you are trying to get at. Winning in the original rules was far too easy, especially for the Axis. Changing the replacement schedule does not however reflect the general staff situation that each side struggled under. Each side has the problem that its high command is expecting offensive action, but is in fact more concerned with the possibility of losing the campaign.

To that end, I suggest that most of your changes should be conditional upon the advance of the enemy. As long as the bulk of the enemy is in or behind the central area (like Derna to Sollum?), neither side gets a replacement advantage. Moving beyond that (an ill-defined condition right now) would begin triggering your modifications.

I think I understand what you are trying to get at. The high commands of both sides reinforced failure and starved success. Twice the Br. took advantage of success to send units elsewhere [to Greece and after 12/7/41 to the far east]. The Ger. sent more replacements and supply when Rommel and before him the Italians lost. Therefore, *not* holding Tobruch should give a player more replacements, or holding Tobruch should give a player less replacements..

However, this makes it pretty much impossible to win [at least with the original Victory Conditions]. I will suggest new VC. It seems to me that new VC should give Rommel a "Major Victory" for making it to El Alamein. A Minor Victory will be awarded for taking and holding Tobruch for a long time. This is certainly obtainable even with the above starve success replacement rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.