Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Roll for the Galaxy» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Executive Power a bargain rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
Executive Power doesn't have as much flexibility as Nanotechnology or Propaganda Machine Campaign, but when it comes to being able to reliably put dice into a phase, it is almost as good. It is a lot easier to get out early in the game. Executive Power will let you always put 4 out of 5 dice (or 3 out of 4) into the phase you select. This is generally enough to let you produce / consume without worrying about the faces of the dice you are using, Even when rolling half your dice, you can guaranty being able to reliably produce and then ship without missing a beat. If you have Genetics Lab or Consumer Markets with 3 or 4 matching worlds (and dice) and Executive Power, you have what you need to start cranking. You should be able to get 6 VPs (7 in the expansion) per cycle. Or more if you can consume from more than 3 worlds or have extra matching dice.
Galatic Mandate is similarly effective at getting dice into the phase you select at the same tile cost. There are some different flexibility tradeoffs, but those aren't that significant compared to being able to get dice into the phase you select.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I could get in more games of this. soblue Even then, it seems if nothing else, Executive Power is priced accordingly.


brunowolff wrote:
Executive Power doesn't have as much flexibility as Nanotechnology or Propaganda Machine, but when it comes to being able to reliably put dice into a phase, it is almost as good. It is a lot easier to get out early in the game. Executive Power will let you always put 4 out of 5 dice (or 3 out of 4) into the phase you select. This is generally enough to let you produce / consume without worrying about the faces of the dice you are using, Even when rolling half your dice, you can guaranty being able to reliably produce and then ship without missing a beat. If you have Genetics Lab or Consumer Markets with 3 or 4 matching worlds (and dice) and Executive Power, you have what you need to start cranking. You should be able to get 6 VPs (7 in the expansion) per cycle. Or more if you can consume from more than 3 worlds or have extra matching dice.
Galatic Mandate is similarly effective at getting dice into the phase you select at the same tile cost. There are some different flexibility tradeoffs, but those aren't that significant compared to being able to get dice into the phase you select.

For those of you who need a reference to the tiles....
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/122045/roll-galaxy-lis...

... but I listed them out here anyways since I haven't memorized all the tiles (... yet!?)
Executive Power - 3
reassign 2 dice from same phase to the selected phase

Nanotechnology - 5
reassign 1 or 2 to any phase

Propaganda Machine Campaign - 4 (I'm not seeing a Prop. Machine)
reassign 1 or 2 to selected phase


Consumer Markets - 3 - faction tile
IV: +$1 for each good on a Novelty world at the end of this phase

Genetics Lab - 2 - faction tile
IV: +$2 for each good represented by a Genes die at the end of this phase

Galactic Mandate - 3
when dictating, reassign up to 3
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
Thanks for catching the mistake and adding details.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brunowolff wrote:
Executive Power will let you always put 4 out of 5 dice (or 3 out of 4) into the phase you select.


That isn't true. If you do not have two matching dice outside your target phase, Executive Power gives you no benefit at all.

And even if you do have two matching dice, having to move the pair is a significant loss in flexibility.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
Dulkal wrote:
brunowolff wrote:
Executive Power will let you always put 4 out of 5 dice (or 3 out of 4) into the phase you select.


That isn't true. If you do not have two matching dice outside your target phase, Executive Power gives you no benefit at all.

And even if you do have two matching dice, having to move the pair is a significant loss in flexibility.

Yes it is. If you roll 5 dice and none start in the action you want, there must be a pair somewhere. So you can move one die with phase selection, one die with dictate and two with Executive Power, into the phase you select. If you start with one in the phase you want, you can add one with phase selection, make a pair using dictate and then add two more with Executive Power. If you start with two in the phase you want, you can add one with phase selection and one with dictate. If you start with three in the phase you want, you can add one with phase selection. If you start with 4 or more in the phase you want, you already have at least 4 in the phase. So you can always get at least 4 dice into a phase, when rolling 5 or more dice, if you have Executive Power.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Johan Ragnarsson
United States
Lund
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brunowolff wrote:
Dulkal wrote:
brunowolff wrote:
Executive Power will let you always put 4 out of 5 dice (or 3 out of 4) into the phase you select.


That isn't true. If you do not have two matching dice outside your target phase, Executive Power gives you no benefit at all.

And even if you do have two matching dice, having to move the pair is a significant loss in flexibility.

Yes it is. If you roll 5 dice and none start in the action you want, there must be a pair somewhere. So you can move one die with phase selection, one die with dictate and two with Executive Power, into the phase you select. If you start with one in the phase you want, you can add one with phase selection, make a pair using dictate and then add two more with Executive Power. If you start with two in the phase you want, you can add one with phase selection and one with dictate. If you start with three in the phase you want, you can add one with phase selection. If you start with 4 or more in the phase you want, you already have at least 4 in the phase. So you can always get at least 4 dice into a phase, when rolling 5 or more dice, if you have Executive Power.


Do the dictate and re-assign actions happen in sequence? This may be clear from the rules, but I never thought of this as ordering of the re-assign actions is normally not important.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
minismurf wrote:

Do the dictate and re-assign actions happen in sequence? This may be clear from the rules, but I never thought of this as ordering of the re-assign actions is normally not important.

I believe so. Someplace there is a thread that says that the die used to select phases can't be moved be reassign powers, and implies other dice can be moved twice. There probably is a direct answer someplace about using Executive Power on a reassigned die. I may get time to look later.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/18308603#18308603 says you can apply powers to dice whose faces don't match the column they are in (which would be because they were reassigned).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.