Subject: Component quality issues rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Fuss
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I’ve been spoiled by the quality of the other 8 Kickstarter games that I’ve received since the beginning of October, but I am disappointed in the quality of some of the components in Spirits of the Rice Paddy. I will say that the wooden components are really nice, but the cards and cardboard are sub-par.

The linen finish on the cards is wildly inconsistent. Some cards it’s there and others it’s almost completely washed out and un-textured. The un-textured cards end up feeling really cheap in comparison.

But by far the biggest offender is the cardboard components. The cardboard “sprue” for the tiles was already delaminated before I even punched the first tile. I fear that the tiles will start de-laminating sometime in the future. When punching out the chits, I had one chit partially delaminate in the process. Either inferior material was used, so something went wrong in the gluing/drying/manufacturing of the cardboard. The player boards, which are the main focus of the game, are heartbreakingly poor quality. The least offensive defect is a player board with the “s” in “Actions” partially cut off. There’s what appears to be dried excess glue in nearly all of the pockets in the Market. And it’s not a little bit of glue, in some of the pockets it covers ~25% of it. You end up with different gloss levels and it just looks sloppy. And that leaves us with the recesses for the gates and walls, which have a variety of defects from torn bits of excess cardboard left in the recesses to scuffs/tears of the printed surfaces in and next to the recesses. Again, it looks sloppy and quite honestly amateurish.

Whether it’s a product of being rushed, poor craftsmanship, or poor quality control, these component quality issues are a bummer as I had high hopes for this game. Hopefully, APE Games can work with their manufacturer to address the quality issues going forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S A
msg tools
mbmb
I've had a couple of issues with my copy as well.

The biggest one is that my player boards are bent. They will not lay flat. They're just bad - you push down on one corner, and they rock back and forth like a seesaw.

I haven't noticed anything about the finish on the cards yet, however there are several where the color on the back is a couple of shades darker from the rest. (I'm talking about different colors for the same cards, not the two different versions of spirit cards, if that makes sense).

There's also one of the black gate (or whatever they're called) pieces that's about a fourth of the length of the others. Not sure if that one broke, or if it's a leftover from the production process, haven't counted the pieces yet.

EDITED TO ADD: Also noticed that the bottom of the box is bent in - like it was sitting on something pushing up part of the bottom. Weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is the same. Just piss poor quality, very disappointed. Photos below are just a small portion of the overall issue. Add to that a missing worker and two stuck together so badly I had to use a knife to cut them apart. The card coloration is just mind bogglingly bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brusky
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're very unhappy with the component quality. Obviously the production samples we got didn't have the problems or we'd have gotten it corrected.

I'm working with the printer to see what can be done after the fact. Stay tuned to the Spirits FAQ page for more information.

http://apegames.com/spirits/SpiritsFAQ.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Blake
United States
Benicia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my copy yesterday and other than the card back coloration issue have no complaints. My player boards are fine and I don't see any of the issues noted above. I did have one ruined worker meeple but extras were provided. Looking forward to trying this one out!

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apegamer wrote:
We're very unhappy with the component quality. Obviously the production samples we got didn't have the problems or we'd have gotten it corrected.

I'm working with the printer to see what can be done after the fact. Stay tuned to the Spirits FAQ page for more information.

http://apegames.com/spirits/SpiritsFAQ.html

Should we email you with this or wait for more info to come out? I'm short a worker as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blaketag wrote:
I got my copy yesterday and other than the card back coloration issue have no complaints. My player boards are fine and I don't see any of the issues noted above. I did have one ruined worker meeple but extras were provided. Looking forward to trying this one out!

My copy is in a similar state. I have one meeple who looks as though he was out in the sun, or face-down in the paddy, for too long. But that just means that he's the 81st meeple (of 81 in my box).

There are a few minor things. For example, the player boards look as though they were cut a little too close at the right-hand side.

My main impression is that there's a lot of game in that box, in terms of design as well as components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this makes me somewhat glum; just got a despatch notice for my copy, this afternoon, too.

I'm assuming ruined components will just be replaced by the publisher? (They're not effing Wizkids, at least.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Tompkins
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy looks like complete garbage. Faded, dinged up cardboard, off center placement,pieces of ripped cardboard stuck to the board. the cover peeling off box a card telling me to replace cards but i don't know what to replace with what. I have backed and received quite a few Kickstarters never have I seen something of this horrible quality. I was very excited for this game now I am just bummed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
player mats were very poorly produced, hexes are off center, i can live with cleaning up the card board debris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My copy is completely fine; I don't have a single issue that the rest of you unfortunately have. Looks like it only happened with some of the copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the player boards took a bit of a beating to some of the corners during shipping, but I had very little cardboard stuck to the bases of the tiles. It was a minimal amount and easy to remove.

I had to look pretty closely at the cards to see the difference in color there. I doubt it'll be a big deal during play.

I have not inspected/counted the meeples yet, but at a glance they look fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happymrdave wrote:

I had to look pretty closely at the cards to see the difference in color there. I doubt it'll be a big deal during play.

I find this hard to believe. The difference between the replacement 1-20 cards is massive. You can tell from across the room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ErPanfi
Italy
Treviso
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
repairmanjack wrote:
Well, this makes me somewhat glum; just got a despatch notice for my copy, this afternoon, too.

You're not alone, man... I'm planning to open the box this weekend, and I am pretty grim about the outcome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon downs
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
i will double-check but the only quality issue I had was that mis-printing on 2 of the "50" counters (having "20" printed on one side instead of "50")
i actually have a couple extra of each wooden component. Although I was a little surprised at the size of the planted/grown hex markers - they are significantly smaller than the pic in the rulebook suggest, as the rulebook seems to show them about the same size as the axtual hex spaces on the player boards, but the counters are actually quite a bit smaller. That isn't really an issue for me though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S A
msg tools
mbmb
jadester48 wrote:
i will double-check but the only quality issue I had was that mis-printing on 2 of the "50" counters (having "20" printed on one side instead of "50")

Well dang, I just noticed this too. This game's quite a disappointment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the niffs
msg tools
I am disappointed with the quality as well. My boards look better than the picture posted but they are all bent and dont lay flat. Many of my workers the hats are not cut right and are missing part of the hat. Many of my walls look poor and are miscut. I have a card that has ink issues. I also have the 20/50 issue. Id have to pull it out again to see the other issues but this is a start. I've never bought a game before that had so many issues with the quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it's the issue of boards that don't lay flat that I find most disappointing. But added to that is the colour matching fail for the replacement cards, poor quality meeples and the terrible quality of the cards, which don't seem to be playing cards, more like tiles punched from thin card with a rounded face and a dished face... yuck.

On the plus side, my player boards seem OK to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nisses Clan Skryre
Belgium
Sint-Lievens-Houtem
flag msg tools
mbmb
After reading this Kickstarter update, I'm somewhat done with Ape Games as a publisher:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13415575/spirits-of-the...

When the message comes down to: Sure, we'll replace components if you REALLY want us to, I'll just cut my losses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Fuss
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nisses wrote:
After reading this Kickstarter update, I'm somewhat done with Ape Games as a publisher:

When the message comes down to: Sure, we'll replace components if you REALLY want us to, I'll just cut my losses.

Yeah, I'm completely done with APE Games. Their "fix it yourself" attitude towards their quality issues is beyond disappointing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
msg tools
rickfuss wrote:
Nisses wrote:

Yeah, I'm completely done with APE Games. Their "fix it yourself" attitude towards their quality issues is beyond disappointing.

This will be the last game from APE for me as well. The message I've been getting is that 'we weren't able to negotiate a better replacement parts deal with our printer, so just deal with it / buy your own sleeves'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same. This thing is going on the Market and I'll probably have to take a loss to get rid of it. What a load of BS. Done with APE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
msg tools
In fairness to APE Games, they have just posted another update where they agree to do replacements.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/13415575/spirits-of-the-rice-pa...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brusky
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually very deeply saddened by this thread.

I really didn't think that the remedies we offered would put off customers - especially since we offered to replace the boards if those remedies didn't work. This seemed especially fair to me. As I explained in the KS post, the printer (Magicraft) isn't helping out on this, so replacing boards means opening new games - something we can't afford do a thousand times.

In hindsight, single layer player boards would have been a much safer bet, but given the amount of stuff going on those board, we took a chance on making them multi-level.

I'm sorry we couldn't do more for you. I hope you track APE moving forward, and we earn your business back someday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for reconsidering your stance. As a backer, my hope is that a game I receive and am excited to play is in the best possible condition. I realize that many of these concerns are aesthetic (the warping, the extra "flash" on the boards) but these are the first things you notice and it can be a disappointment to receive a game you've been anticipating for months only find it isn't what you expected.

I appreciate your efforts and it's led me to rethink my initial stance on future projects, but I would ask that perhaps you analyze your relationship with your publisher. I have had errors in Kickstarters but never heard of concern from a company that correcting these errors might not "keep the lights on" for them. I can only guess that their printer was more inclined to work with them in making right the mistakes on the production end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.