Shakespeare» Forums » General

Subject: Thematic reasons for the decoration bonus points? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zakimos Kleidos
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Even if Shakespeare is a pretty classic Eurogame, its great theme has catched the attention of my girlfriend's parents, who are good players (despite their age) but normally play just easy entry level games with us.

I believe that they can understand and play Shakespeare, but since I know that they remember rules more easily if I give a thematic reason, I was thinking about some ways to integrate the theme with the decoration bonus points, probably the most (the only?) abstract part of the game.

Any thoughts? Especially for the purple ones, since they are the most important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zakimos wrote:
Even if Shakespeare is a pretty classic Eurogame, its great theme has catched the attention of my girlfriend's parents, who are good players (despite their age) but normally play just easy entry level games with us.

I believe that they can understand and play Shakespeare, but since I know that they remember rules more easily if I give a thematic reason, I was thinking about some ways to integrate the theme with the decoration bonus points, probably the most (the only?) abstract part of the game.

Any thoughts? Especially for the purple ones, since they are the most important.

What I do is explain that the pieces of set dressing have an effect when you are building your stage.
Some times the effect is minimal (1, no effect), some times people are willing to pay more to see your play (2, add a coin), some times they reduce the morale of competitor theaters (3 (purple), step back on ambiance track), some boost your own morale (4, 2 steps ambiance track) and others are just so grand they make your craftsmen work harder (5, +3 token). The best ones are obviously the golden/yellow ones. They give you more fame when your play is performed. (extra points)

Edit: or are you talking about the 5 bonus points that can be earned by placing your set pieces such that they cover those 5 spots? In that case it's even simpler in my view: The bigger your stage, the more fame your performance is likely to get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zakimos Kleidos
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AernoutMJC wrote:
Zakimos wrote:

What I do is explain that the pieces of set dressing have an effect when you are building your stage.
Some times the effect is minimal (1, no effect), some times people are willing to pay more to see your play (2, add a coin), some times they reduce the morale of competitor theaters (3 (purple), step back on ambiance track), some boost your own morale (4, 2 steps ambiance track) and others are just so grand they make your craftsmen work harder (5, +3 token). The best ones are obviously the golden/yellow ones. They give you more fame when your play is performed. (extra points)

Edit: or are you talking about the 5 bonus points that can be earned by placing your set pieces such that they cover those 5 spots? In that case it's even simpler in my view: The bigger your stage, the more fame your performance is likely to get.

The first thing you said. Thanks a lot :-) Now I've just got to find a way to make them remember that you MUST take the purple decorations :-D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.