Popular Tags: [View All]
Euron Crows Eye
United Kingdom
radcliffe
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like others here Ive been confused about the "upgrade" of terrorists. After reading the other threads I think I have it sorted , but I still wonder if more than one (of the same) unit can exist in a country at the end of your turn??

Ie you want to create a column ( by merging whats on the board ) but you can only get 3 together in your turn and then you hope to move another 2 in next turn to make a column? Is this allowed? Or have they got to be all in same country and upgraded by the end of ones turn?

(I know its easier to just buy outright at 50M but would like to know if the above is allowed )

Also if a base unit ( village / vanguard ) as to be downgraded is it removed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sheerin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Terrorist movement and upgrade has been the source of a bit of confusion and I think understandably so.

You can't have more than one terrorist unit in a country. This is mainly because this would confuse the effect of many cards, not least the terrorist attack.

How far you allow "merging" to take place I guess is up to you. Personally, if someone wanted to use one movement card to move a couple of units into the same country, followed by a second movement card to move some more, I'd let that go. But across turns? I don't think so - it's asking for trouble.

If a vanguard is downgraded or knocked down a level, yes it is removed completely.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Euron Crows Eye
United Kingdom
radcliffe
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ta very muchly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree with the informative poster above (I meant to quote you, but am now too lazy to click back and fix my error).

I'd say it is cool to do it across turns provided that the stacked units (3 vanguards in this case) were permanently considered 1. Perhaps let the terrorist player have the option of turning the 1 into 3 again (since they're allowed to move the units), but not empires.

If the stacking was being performed for a terrorist cell, so you hypothetically had a column and a 1-4 stack of vanguards in the same country, again just consider it one unit of the largest type and ignore the others. This way it puts pressure on the player looking to upgrade and gives them hard decisions to make (do I sacrifice my quantity for future quality or keep the quantity in lue of quality?)...

now for a question of my own -

Can Terrorist units move through spaces occupied by existing terrorist units provided they don't end their move in a space already occupied? Seems cool and logical, but wanted to hear what you guys thought?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy S.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
we covered this in another post anarch, But a fresh point to add...

As a terrorist, It makes no sense to stack units beyond your own turn...Units that you control on the board for a limited time, because an empire can decide to self destruct the unit, therefore wasting the movements and money you just spent....

And it would be unfair for an empire to stack terrorist units. Imagine if an empire stacks up a whole bunch of units you JUST moved or bought, and moved a ton of vanguards out of his counties to stack them in another country. And your turn started with a whole bunch of stacked pieces, which would force you to waste your movements to move them back.

"Stacking" doesn't work either way. It has no advantage for a terrorist. On the contrary, it provides an extreme advantage for an empire player to sabotoge your next turn as a terrorist. The whole stacking suggestion doesn't seem to jive with the game at all.

Andy S. from Terrorbull games basically said he would allow another player to move units into a country with a terror unit, if they wanted to upgrade and they could upgrade. But not for holding purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Euron Crows Eye
United Kingdom
radcliffe
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you can move terrorists through others as long as by turn END none are in the same area.

This allows for the movement (merge) of seperate units into 1 bigger unit as at the END of the turn there will still be only one unit in that area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. At the time I was mainly referencing movement without a card to effect it (answer is obviously NO) as I had just noticed the terrorist get to move the units without card play. Of course, that's a concern of the past now.

One question, however:

Langy wrote:
Yes you can move terrorists through others as long as by turn END none are in the same area.

This allows for the movement (merge) of seperate units into 1 bigger unit as at the END of the turn there will still be only one unit in that area.

Aside from the fact a developer said it, what is the fundamental reason for not allowing multiple units to exist in the same spot as long as they're stacked and considered 1 for the purposes of gameplay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy S.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Anarchosyn wrote:
Thanks guys. At the time I was mainly referencing movement without a card to effect it (answer is obviously NO) as I had just noticed the terrorist get to move the units without card play. Of course, that's a concern of the past now.

One question, however:

Langy wrote:

Aside from the fact a developer said it, what is the fundamental reason for not allowing multiple units to exist in the same spot as long as they're stacked and considered 1 for the purposes of gameplay?

Listen, a terrorist unit IS what it IS! you're trying to say terrorist units are 2 different things or have 2 different roles of existing. A terrorist unit = a terrorist unit. And until it is explicitly stated that terrorist units can also be treated as "non-playing units" or it is stated that "2 units may also be treated as 1 unit" then I would come to the conclusion that any combination of movements or single movement of a vanguard/column to a country with another vanguard/column that isn't resulting in an upgrade of the piece is illegal. The "1 unit per country" rule is clear about not storing multiple units in 1 country. You're trying to claim terrorist units aren't terrorist units but some type of different piece that suddendly becomes a terrorist unit when you want it to or when it is convenient for you to upgrade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Hunneybell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I was initially confused by the use of the word "unit" and, knowing that when starting a new game we tend to examine every word of every rule in great detail (when we take the time to read them!), I wondered how terrorist "units" equated with vanguards, columns and cells.

In answer to my own question, I think that "unit" is deliberately used, and is a generic term that can refer to either a vanguard, a column or a cell, i.e. one piece of black plastic.

So, I think that whenever the rules refer to a terrorist "unit", it means "EITHER a vanguard OR a column OR a cell".

Do people agree/disagree (I don't mind which, as long as there is a consusus!)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.