Popular Tags: collection [+] [View All]
R. H.
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am starting to acquire more and more games and I am running out of shelf space! So I started thinking about how I plan to store my games and that made me broadly curious about how others store games...

Do you line them up vertically--like books-- as they have them at the local game shop, or do you stack them?

If stacking, how deep do you make the piles?

Are they "on display" where anyone visiting your house will see them, or do you have them in a cabinent? Boxes? Something else?

Do you organize them by theme? mechanic? Number of players? Favorites? Size? Alphabetically? How ever they end up back on the shelf after your brain is shot from 6 hours of Power Grid, Puerto Rico and 5 fillers ?

Any other interesting things you do for storage? Pictures would be cool! (And how many games do you have-- i.e. how big is your storage issue...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Hello.
badge
Welcome to my secret message.
mbmbmbmbmb
I store mine on their edges like a library, mostly sorted by box size.

Here's a bunch of pics!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/958639#958639

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are many examples:

http://rck2.com/zp/Game+Closets/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john davidson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Honestly...I rarely play games in my own house so they are mostly kept in a couple of largish storage boxes in the boot of my car.
What's in the boot at the moment ?
Caylus, Carcassone (original + H &G), Struggle of Empires, Empires of the Ancient World, Frag, Frag Deadlands, Munchkin Fu, Perikles and Wings of War.
Luckily they are all reasonably compact boxes......
and no I'm not telling you my car's registration number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried both ways. I store them flat now. When you store them like books it just makes a mess. Pieces get all mixed up and fall out of the inserts, etc. You end up with scrambled games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Prendergast
United States
Newton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do those of you who stand them up, like in a library, find that the boards tend to warp? I know they display them in stores that way, but new games are usually packed like sardines, until all the cardboard counters and markers are punhced out and put into trays, so there is little room for warping when they're new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have very sensitive hearing, so I don't like the rattle of game pieces inside boxes.

I keep game boxes and boards alphabetically on steel shelving, and I keep the game pieces in a drawer next to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Summers
United States
Ammon
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robartin wrote:
I've tried both ways. I store them flat now. When you store them like books it just makes a mess. Pieces get all mixed up and fall out of the inserts, etc. You end up with scrambled games.

My wife bought me little zip locks in various sizes. I have been able to contain all my bits quite well so that all my games do quite well on their edges like books (with no spillage). I organize them according to size. and it is so nice to choose almost any game and simply slide it out without having to lift other games to get to it, etc..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Just like this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Woo
Scotland
state:
running out of space...
flag msg tools
badge
OK, I'm gonna sound like a real nerd now, but most sprues still have a function after you've punched out the counters. Put them underneath the tray.

Most trays are shaped so that they hold the sprues on top when they leave the factory. When you punch out the counters and throw them out, you create an empty space between the tray and the lid that could cause problems when you store your box library style. When you put the punched sprues underneath, that gap is neatly filled again, and the pieces will stay in place much better. And it always helps to be a ziplock junkie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Lethbridge
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to stack them on their sides, but also use the 'nook and cranny approach' for some games.

I've never had a board warp, but I've never had a game on its side for years and years either. I bag all the components so it doesn't matter if anything tips out.

I have too so many games now that I also have a 'B' Team of games that lives in the closet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
All games lay flat, none on end.
Yes, put the excess cardboard "sprues" under the inserts, and embrace the mini zip-top baggies.

I have 5 sets of 6' tall bookshelves in my living room (Euros).
Plus 5 or 6 shelves in the front hall closet (oversize boxes, games in tubes, CCGs).
Plus 60-board-feet or so in my master bedroom closet (party games).

...all of which will be replaced in the (hopefully) near future with 9- or 10-foot tall built in shelving along the entire length of my living room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Hello.
badge
Welcome to my secret message.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
When you store them like books it just makes a mess. Pieces get all mixed up and fall out of the inserts, etc. You end up with scrambled games.

That's why I put everything in baggies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Werth
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
End on end, organized first by size, and then by color. Big games have to lie flat, which is too bad because the only thing that can really go on them is other big games, which warps the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Just like this!

Not to throw the thread off course, but what are the games you have on the second shelf down towards the right side? The grey boxes with colored middles.

I'm not one to judge a game by it's box, but simply from an appearance base, it looks nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that I own them, or have ever played them, or even SEEN them...but those are a series of games from Japan, published by Aeronaut. (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/publisher/1887)

God, I'm such a geek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It used to be that my whole collection took up just half the shelves in the linen closet. Now that my collection stands at roughly 75 games, I've had to get spread out the collection somewhat. The big square boxes, like Arkham Horror and Betrayal at House on the Hill, fit nicely in a stack of milk crates in a walkin closet. The longer boxes, like Cults Across America and Divine Right, are now stored in long shallow tupperware-type storage containers that slide under my bed. The smaller games are still stacked flat on those shelves in the linen closet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmbmbmb
I store most of my games flat, in small stacks of like-sized boxes on bookshelves. I used to stand them on end, but I think it contributed to some boards warping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Stever
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I store my flat. We have a spare room off my office in which I've placed several plastic shelving units I bought at Home Depot for under $20. Each unit has four shelves, is about 6.5' tall, and they set up in about 3 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:
Not that I own them, or have ever played them, or even SEEN them...but those are a series of games from Japan, published by Aeronaut. (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/publisher/1887)

God, I'm such a geek.

Yep they're my collection of Aeronaut games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Becker
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Just like this!

It looks like you need to expand to take on more games. These shelves are full.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
beckerdo wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
Just like this!

It looks like you need to expand to take on more games. These shelves are full.

Glad you brought that up. As you can see I am storing them all "lengthwise".. All I need to do to make more room is turn them "widthwise" and whola, more room for games! As the shelves are way deeper than is perceived. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I store all my games in a hermetically sealed anti-gravity vault so that no moisture or gravity will cause them to deteriorate. All bits and pieces are laminated in a clear-tough-anti-scuff but light-weight-plastic-like material (all stored in appropriately sized ziplock bags of course). To sort them for easy storage and retrieval they each have a computerized remote controlled rfd with mini booster rocket attachments so that by punching in the appropriate handy code they will launch them to the front of the vault for easy access. Imagine a very large room size fish tank with games swimming around in an anti-gravity field! All players are given white linen gloves to wear while interfacing with any of the game components - not to mention the sneeze-proof visors on the required game helmets that are also given out. cool

snore And then I woke up and found that I store them like everybody else on this thread (a little of all of them) including the "B" and "C" list of games in big plastic tubs that will get sold or traded as needed whenever I go to an appropriate venue for such shenanigans. I tend to sort by publisher with a few squeeze plays interspersed and they are out on display for everyone to see. And with over 400 games it still seems we can never agree on what to play!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
robartin wrote:

We store most of our games bookshelf-style. We don't have the scrambled games problem because we always baggie-and-tuckbox our games.

Big-box games we store flat, simply because they don't fit the shelves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonCat wrote:
I store all my games in a hermetically sealed anti-gravity vault so that no moisture or gravity will cause them to deteriorate.

Anti-gravity is definitely the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.