Thumb up
 Hide
71 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Christian Friendly Board/Card games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Can someone name some for me? I am fairly new to board game world.

No magic/demons etc, for now even as bad guys.
No lying/deception as main mechanic - preferably no need to bluff either.
No glorification of evil anything - like crime etc - theme or otherwise.

things I'm not sure on yet but prefer to include in the list:
no "fantasy", sci-fi is probably OK.

As many different mechanics would be nice also because I am technically looking for inspiration on how to build one myself - especially a co-op style as I know none of those.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I can. Hold on while I make a huge list. Lol. You think I do not choose this way already?

Morels

Orléans

Bruges

Ginkgopolis

Shipyard

Thurn and Taxis

At the Gates of Loyang

Castles of Mad King Ludwig

San Juan (second edition)

Lost Cities

Snowdonia

Power Grid

Cinque Terre

Heartland

Dilluvia Project

Takenoko

Finca

Madame Ching

The Palaces of Carrara

Ugh. I am forced to deal with the nature of competition. Even these games, due to what a game is may not be as Christian as you may understand is needed, simply because they may be teaching habits of selfishness or contention, and to be a true Christian is to give away things and to aim for all other players best interests. Which to our human minds makes for a very hard to make and or very bad game. How to measure success and to quantify sub optimal decisions? Should anyone win if everyone does not? Modern cooperative games just are not that great and are made too much alike.

Perhaps make a multiplayer solitaire, though it will never be as engaging as a real game, or maybe make a cooperative game (which are usually imo not fun).

Look, I feel that theme wise I have rooted out all of the garbage from my collection. Some of them I just tossed in the trash to save the hassle of trying to sell them. You may not understand but Cargo Noir is more kidsy, sheltered, and religious than most of my other titles because it isn't so engaging or great to play and we don't get into the theme that much anyway.

I save so much money because of the art test, more money in the future by not buying too small of a game, and I save us hassle and disappointment and frustration by severely limiting the buying of ameritrash. Finally we know what we want out of bgg and who we are.

I absolutely feel that it is against my own beliefs about true Christianity and true morality to play those themes. Plus, they do not highly appeal to me at this time.

Please do not waste your time and money making a game if it cannot compete naturally.

I really like but severely disagree with Tom Vasal on this issue, yet he is an example of an opposing viewpoint to my own within the community of people that aim to be moral in a Christian manner whether or not they truly are (I speak of myself because I do not currently consider myself a practicing Christian but share a lot of their beliefs and tastes and rules...I just am not doing as well on the morality front at the moment or perhaps ever).

For games that are Biblical does it trivialize the real thing to turn Christianity into a deck building game? Nah, I don't play those either. For the same reason I do not watch Exodus Gods and Kings. I don't care to see the Gladiator version. It is more sacred to me than that.

What you need is this. You need an achieve a high score game that has uneven information.

Establish a score for the game to measure up to. Have a player know a little and another player know far more. Randomize how much the "far more player" knows to add suspense. Have the "far more player" help the regular player play the game. Make it so that without the help of the "far more player" that the game would be lost for certain. It is a solo game played by two people with an unequal and maybe slightly undetermined division of knowledge where you hamper the helping player that is more knowledgeable by making them unable to have the final say and besides they are only helping and do not know enough to win alone either, they just know more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes, that's a lot of rules!

Forbidden Island
Red7
Codenames
Hey, that's my fish!
Hive
Dixit
Ticket to Ride
Alhambra
Hanabi
Pandemic
Parade
Qbits
Patchwork
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
gamedevwanabe wrote:
Can someone name some for me? I am fairly new to board game world.

As many different mechanics would be nice also because I am technically looking for inspiration on how to build one myself - especially a co-op style as I know none of those.

Thanks in advance.

Im Catholic and absolutely none of those things are against Christianity. You are playing a game, not actually being evil. This sounds more like you are looking for games suited for your personal preference, rather than games suitable for a Christian.

Here is a website by a group of Christians called "Christian Gamers Guild" that explains it is completely OK to play Dungeons and Dragons for example. http://www.christian-gamers-guild.org/faq.html

You should check out Tom Vasel. He is one of the biggest names in boardgaming and reviews games on Youtube. Outside of gaming he is a preacher at the South Dade Baptist Church in Homestead, Florida. A fine example of a a Christian gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, that's my fish is a great suggestion.

Pandemic fulfills pretty much all of your requirements, as it's a co-op where the players are fighting disease outbreaks.

Most Euro games would work too. Agricola, or Le Havre. Patchwork is a great two player game. What do you think about a wargame? Commands and Colors or something like that is nice and light and plays more like chess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Two recent Biblically based ones are:

Commissioned - Technically not out yet and I'm not sure how widely distributed it is going to be. It is a KS game about growing the early Christian church.

Kings of Israel - Almost a rethemed version of Pandemic. It is based on the OT kings and the players are going around trying to wipe sin away from the land.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris Karpavicius
Lithuania
Kaunas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evolution
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonáš Obdržálek
Czech Republic
Hradec Králové
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorenas wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fh13 wrote:
Kings of Israel - Almost a rethemed version of Pandemic. It is based on the OT kings and the players are going around trying to wipe sin away from the land.

Just making sure this was listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very narrow criteria, but one you may want to consider is La Boca.

It's pretty light but is basically a co-op where two players looking at opposite sides of a board have to use the same set of colored blocks to assemble the correct image from both of their perspectives.

Nothing insidious at all about it, and truly co-op.

Carcassonne is another good one in that everyone is very innocuous (except maybe the "robber" which is just a piece that scores points for completed roads so you could just as easily call him a "traveler" or "toll taker"). CAN be played cutthroat, but not necessarily.

Same goes for Ticket to Ride, nothing insidious and can be played without any conflict of that is the desire.

I unfortunately can't think of any meaty co-ops that dont violate one of your criteria.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamedevwanabe wrote:

China (in addition to the above considerations, no direct conflict either)
Blue Moon City (ditto; and note its scifi not fantasy)
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island (all of you against the typical problems facing island castaways; one scenario does pit you against cultists - and you need to erect crosses to defeat them)

Other games I enjoy:
6 nimmt! (effectively no theme; but plays well in big groups)

And I assume that you have already looked at the modern classics like Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne in which, again, its more about competition for space with the resources you have to hand; and the person who does the best "construction" is the winner.

Actually, there is whole field of "finance/resource Euros" that have a very limited theme (typically post-Mediavel) where almost all information is public, and there is a little direct competition or glorification of anything really. You'd do better digging up more of those kind of games. (PS I am disagreeing here with those that think your criteria are too narrow shake )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Moreno
msg tools
Ouija
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a Christian you need to determine what criteria you are comfortable with. For example, my own experience with my wife, who feels uncomfortable playing any zombie games, but will play Guillotine with no reservations.

In addition to the above suggestions.

Kingdom of Solomon is a very good area control/resource management game.
Flash Point: Fire Rescue is one of my families favorite co-ops.

If you don't mind retro sci-fi killing of aliens then I might suggest Space Cadets: Away Missions as one of my more recent acquisitions.

Also for that matter is Above and Belowwhich has a story telling element that could also lead to some discussions about making moral choices.

For a thoughtful blog post on this subject. Tacky Christian Games: Where the theme gets in the way of the game

To add some more from my collection:
Among the Stars
Bohnanza
Dixit
Machi Koro
Money!
Pastiche
This one my be problematic but it's a good game and unusual : The Road to Canterbury
Snow Tails a good racing game
Sushi Go!light filler.
Tsuro - Possible issue with theme on this one (it's really and abstract game, but plays well for 2 to 8 and is short.
and finally: Zooloretto

I tried to pick games that were not already mentioned and that met your criteria as well as looking at "good" games tat had various different mechanisms.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Biblios play running your own scriptorum.
The "10 days in" series. Ex: 10 Days in Europe travel/geography/connection games.
Bazaar algebra for merchants.
Take it Easy! tile laying math.
Ingenious hexagonal counting.
Rummikub a tile version of rummy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Barstow
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Commissioned arriving hopefully by the end of the year. I'm not sure what kind of retail distribution it will see, but if might fit your criteria nicely. I have quite a few games in my own collection that would likely fit the bill as well. Feel free to peruse through my stuff HERE and GM me about any games you're curious about!

Happy game discovering!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

For a lighthearted and casual game, I don't think you can go wrong with Two by Two, the one that looks like this:

In the game, 2-4 players sail around in their arks, trying to rescue animals two by two while the flood waters rise and spread. There are two different scoring systems so that the game may be played either in a more simple way or a somewhat more strategic way.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Out of curiosity who/what credentials is the Christian Gamers Guild exactly?

I am Catholic to, (a poor one mind you - hence the aim to change though).
Nope not personal preference at all, I like games with magic in it - but I have been told to rid myself of such things by people who study for healing ministries/deliverance. Now if you could find me a resource that will weigh the same or better, that'd be great.

I know of Tom Vasel, actually be using his videos to look up the suggested titles here, thank you for the referral however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Patchwork ? A family fave at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What player count? Length of play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Allow others to make suggestions to you, but understand that nobody has it all figured out, even if they insist that they do. Love Letter is notable.
(Leviticus 15:19-20)
Learn about as many different things as you can. That's the fun of it, you never know when you'll discover something wonderful around the next corner. Mascarade is a ball.
(Deuteronomy 23:1)
Treat others as you would want them to treat you. Wildlife Safari is a trip.
(1 Peter 2:18)
Don't judge others without first having empathy, we all have different tastes. Wits & Wagers is a good bet.
(Romans 1:27)
And as far as board games are concerned: I definitely wouldn't recommend starting with them, but eventually you can work up to playing some amazingly deep games like Agricola. You'll have a cow.
(Ezekiel 23:20)
In Village you can even send your family to study in the church!
(1 Timothy 2:12)
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Temelin wrote:
Allow others to make suggestions to you, but understand that nobody has it all figured out, even if they insist that they do. Love Letter is notable.
(Leviticus 15:19-20)
Learn about as many different things as you can. That's the fun of it, you never know when you'll discover something wonderful around the next corner. Mascarade is a ball.
(Deuteronomy 23:1)
Treat others as you would want them to treat you. Wildlife Safari is a trip.
(1 Peter 2:18)
Don't judge others without first having empathy, we all have different tastes. Wits & Wagers is a good bet.
(Romans 1:27)
And as far as board games are concerned: I definitely wouldn't recommend starting with them, but eventually you can work up to playing some amazingly deep games like Agricola. You'll have a cow.
(Ezekiel 23:20)
In Village you can even send your family to study in the church!
(1 Timothy 2:12)
whistle

Don't understand if your serious or not. But just for the games I am familiar with.

Love letter - nothing about "menstrual impurity" in the game.

Mascarade - nothing about "emasculation" But disqualified because of lying/bluffing.

Wits and Wagers - nothing to do with this verse either.

Can't see the connection for Agricola either.
I can see a possible connection for Village.

But lets just let this pass as I think we are heading to RSP territory.

Back on track to the OP.
As I stressed before, you should consider what is right for you. By avoiding certain topics you will limit your audience for those who enjoy such things, but you will expand your audience for those who are opposed. If the game is good I don't think it should matter. (look at games like "Kingdom of Solomon" and "Kings of Israel" as examples.

As to your issue with magic I suggest listening to the advice from those in healing ministries. While my personal take is different, (I'm much closer to Tom Vasel on this issue) You should listen to those in authority over you and err on the side of caution. At least in the beginning. (There are thousands of good games that don't touch on magic.)

Again, you are designing a niche game in a niche hobby. But if it is good then the game should stand. For any game there will always be some who won't play it because of the theme. Design a good game first. Some good games have had there themes changed during the development phase. You may want to take advantage of the game designer forums here on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game I have that I think meet these criteria, and have a reasonably wide range of mechanics. All competitive unless otherwise noted.

Backgammon - some people might dislike it's associations with gambling (but there is no need to gamble on it even when using the doubling cube).
Carcassonne
Catan
Haggis - 2-3p climbing card game
Hanabi - if you're interested in co-operative games you should play this.
Hare & Tortoise - race game with virtually no luck
Hey, That's My Fish! - 2-4p abstract with penguin theme
Hive Pocket - 2p abstract
Kalah - 2p abstract
Pandemic - probably the best selling cooperative game
Priests of Ra (maybe) - 2-5p auction game, theme is so ignorable that I can't see it being offensive.
Race for the Galaxy - someone might argue that some cards have representations of crime or other bad stuff (you can view them online)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin, I think you may have read too much in between the lines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any abstract strategy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These threads always leave me scratching my head.

Since this sort of thing is so entirely personal, I don't think it's possible to make recommendations like this -- as an example, the poster who has a problem with Love Letter for some reason. Who knows what will offend and what won't. Why no fantasy for instance? What's the problem there? Most of these imposed restrictions make no sense to me but to each his own.

To the original poster, just look up games here and check out the description of the game play, as well as looking at the images. That should give you a very good idea of what the game theme entails, and whether or not you feel comfortable playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.