Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Wings for the Baron (second edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Great Game in the German Gaming Tradition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    I sat down and played a three-player game by myself last night to get an understanding of the flow and rules before introducing it to friends. I'll tell you this -- this is one great play!

Only a wargame company would take on a game that maps to history so well. But it's a real euro, a good one, in the tradition of euros of the 1990s and early 2000s where you need to roll with punches and find ways to make things work for you. Playing three companies it became apparent that I needed to play each one in a different way, largely due to the cards pulled and dice rolled as the game proceeded. It's rare that I enjoy these solo learning games as much as time with friends and I had planned to play four or five turns only, but I really wanted to see how the war turned out!

For those tuning in that haven't seen or heard of the game, it's from a wargame company and has a war theme, but this is an economic game and works in about three or four competing factors -- product design, political influence, inflation, capacity building. Each is attached to the others and you need to tend to different things as the game (the war) progresses. This is about business in a very difficult business environment, has a bit of an Imperial 2030 flavor to it where you don't care so much about who wins the war, but instead who has the best business at the end. Really enjoyed this one.

And boy oh boy do I love VPG's chits. So thick some of them stand on edge when you dump them out of the bag.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. I am interested in this one. I agree that VPG laser cut counters are awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I'm due to attend a game-a-thon for charity this Friday and I intend to bring this one along and teach it. I'll be playing with people from outside my normal group. Straight up, I think any serious eurogamer that gets hoodwinked into playing what appears on the outside to be a wargame will be very impressed.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

For those tuning in that haven't seen or heard of the game, it's from a wargame company and has a war theme, but this is an economic game and works in about three or four competing factors -- product design, political influence, inflation, capacity building. Each is attached to the others and you need to tend to different things as the game (the war) progresses. This is about business in a very difficult business environment, has a bit of an Imperial 2030 flavor to it where you don't care so much about who wins the war, but instead who has the best business at the end.

You left out that there are constant conflicts in choices--your key cards can all do at least two different things and sometimes you will want them both.

But, most important, there are several ways in which you can "screw your buddies" in small-but-important ways, that are part of the competition.

It all adds up to a very good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I think this is a sleeper for 2015. It didn't come with seven pounds of minis, but it's beautifully produced and has some great gameplay.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind praise.

We really loved developing WINGS FOR THE BARON, and it had a wonderful convention debut at BGG.con this year (2015). We sold a LOT of copies there, and I hope we hear from more people who have acquired a copy.

There is a lot of "there" there in that box: a great Euro game; capital "H" History (lots of research, including a small history book included in the box to explain the game's various technologies); a tough solo gameplay variant; and a "Campaign Game" that expands matters from just FIGHTER development to also include RECON and BOMBER aeroplanes. Way cool.

Alan Emrich
WINGS FOR THE BARON team
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I'm planning a review in the near future that I'll post to three or four web sites. With luck that will generate a little more exposure for it.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cappello
United States
Pasadena
MD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Sagrilarus wrote:

I'm planning a review in the near future that I'll post to three or four web sites. With luck that will generate a little more exposure for it.

S.

Sag completely wiped the floor with us last night, but I thoroughly enjoyed learning and playing the campaign game. The cards I ended up with were crap, and I ended up having to switch to Recon/Bomber to even keep pace in the game.

I was fully ready to reset the board and play again, but we were running out of time at the store.

Definitely a good time. Looking forward to another shot at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen players do very well with a strong Bomber/Recon strategy, but there's sure a lot of contracts in Fighters worth fighting for!

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.