Subject: ObiRobKenobi's Orlando Orbiters! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Niven
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ObiRobKenobi's been having a rough season. His team, the Orlando Orbiters, has not performed as well as they should have considering how much money the team spent obtaining talent from all over the country. This is the last week of the regular season and ObiRob's got one last home stand to get this should-be great team into the playoffs!

ObiRob's Orlando Orbiters Lineup
Ethan Roberto - Shortstop
Whitney Worldwise - Outfield
Mully Nomah - Utility
King Launius - Third Base
Anvil McIver - First Base
K.C. Petty - Right Field

Game 1: Home Opener vs. Tampa Tempest

Situation: 9th inning; 1 out; Ethan on first; Pete Bender on the mound
Effect: Sunset

So, this was my first full solo game. I played around a bit with a test game to make sure I understood most of the mechanics on how to play solo and while it took a few minutes and runthroughs to really "get" it I think I reached a point where I could play a legitimate game. I set up Home Opener like the FAQ suggests. I put Ethan on first* and began play with Whitney up to bat. Whitney was a little intimidated at first letting a pitch go by her and then swinging wildly at the next which was way out of her reach. Once she hit two strikes though she calmed down, drew a couple of balls and then found her pitch. It wasn't a spectacular pitch but it was a solid hit putting her on base and advancing Ethan.

Mully was up next, he pretty quickly saw what Pete was up to and he popped a solid line drive into right field. Bases loaded.

Now the crowd starts to get excited. It's bases loaded and who else other than King Launius steps up to the plate. Surely, the mighty King could get one success and bring in a single run! Pete was cautious throwing to Launius letting the count get high. Unfortunately, misread the pitch he decided to swing at and only barely made contact, what should have been a hit into center field ended up heading down and bouncing right to the second baseman! The baseman smartly threw Ethan out at home, keeping the Tempest in the game a bit longer.

Still, the bases were loaded and here came big ol' Anvil up to bat. Fortunately, for ObiRob he had come to trust Anvil and before the game he instructed him to take any chances he felt necessary. First pitch, Anvil calls it perfectly, Pete was trying to fall back on his Vulcan Change-up. This was pitch Hammer knew he could crush**. Anvil swung with all of his might putting everything into this swing. The *crack* resonated across the entire stadium the crowd watched in awe Pete's final pitch soared over the heads of every fielder and finally over the big wall in the back landing somewhere among the throng of now standing fans!

GRAND SLAM! The Orbiters win their first home game 4-0!

*Actually, here's the first thing I was unclear about. When a situation sets a number of runners on base are those runners automatically taken from your lineup? That's how I played it but I couldn't find it actually addressed anywhere. Maybe that's just common sense though?

**So, what happened here was that Pete threw his Ace Pitch and I guessed it correctly but since I didn't guess Inside he changed it to a Strike. He rolled S3 but had no way to mitigate that roll. My batter roll was a 2. With Anvil's trait that becomes a 3 and with the Red Token I could make that a 4 and guarantee a hit. Instead, I decided to take my MVP ability and the reroll instead, hoping to roll into Crush. This was a little risky but with Anvil's trait I had a better than 50% chance of getting contact again. To my amazement I rolled a natural 6! I quickly re-read the Crush rules to make sure I got them right and rolled the Crush roll. ANOTHER 6! That's a home run! And with bases loaded, a GRAND SLAM!

Game 2: Small Ball vs. Tampa Tempest

Situation: 9th inning; Orbiters: 0, Tempest: 1; 1 Out; Ethan on second; Hurricane Patriss on the mound
Effect: Injury Bug - Dan Martini replaces Whitney Worldwise in the lineup

When we tune into the Orbiters next game we find them in another desperate situation. Going into the bottom of the ninth inning they're down by 1 run. They've managed to get little Ethan to second but have taken an out in the process. This leaves them only two outs away from a loss in an already stressful week! To make matters worse, Whitney Worldwise, one of their most consistent hitters, is unable to play do to leg strain! They've brought in Dan Martini hoping his speed will make up for Whitney's good judgment!

The first at-bat we tune into has Dan Martini perfectly read Hurricane Patriss's first pitch. Dan is eager he goes after it and plunks a soft hit right between the first and second baseman. The right fielder was already moving in and is quick to recover it but nobody is as quick as Dan Martini. By the time the right fielder throws to first, Dan's already on base looking bored. Next up, Mully Nomah!

Mully steps up to the plate and anyone with baseball intuition can tell he wants a piece of what Patriss is pitching. Patriss wisely makes his first pitch a ball forcing Mully to slow down. Mully reads the next pitch and steps into the swing, unfortunately he the pitch completely wrong and his hit weakly bounces to the shortstop who tags Ethan out on his way to third. 2 outs, 2 on, and Big King Launius takes the plate.

Launius steps up to the plate with such confidence that Patriss knows better than to pitch something hittable. First pitch wide. The second pitch completely fool ol' King but unfortunately for Patriss it gets away from him and falls below the knees. Feeling ready Patriss throws his signature curveball but the King is all over it! He smashes the ball into deep right field easily earning himself, and the other two runners a base. The tension is on as yesterday's Hero, Anvil McIver steps up into yet another 2 out, bases loaded situation.

Patriss opens with a ball against this notorious heavy hitter. The next pitch is high and inside and gets Anvil swinging. Strike 1. The next pitch, another ball. With the count at 2-1 Patriss pitches one right across the plate but not quick enough to get by our slugger. Anvil takes a chunk out of it and moseys on over to first as Dan Martini crosses Home plate behind him. Score is now tied and bases are loaded as K.C. Petty steps up.

Seeing yet another slugger come up the Tempest decide to pull the clearly fatigued and beaten Patriss, replacing him with closer Wake Louder!*

Wake knows better than to give K.C. something worth hitting. The first two pitches sail wide of the plate. The third crosses the corner and goads K.C. into swinging. Unfortunately, K.C. over estimated his own abilities. The bat makes poor contact with the ball and pops up into the air for an easy fly out. With that, the Orbiters return to the dugout, eager to try again in the tenth.

Tenth inning. ObiRob knows this is the last chance his team will have to put the Tempest away. Their bullpen is just too deep for the Orbiters to keep this up for long!

Ethan's first at-bat ends in a quick hit and quick throw out at first. Dan Martini steps up, takes a strike and then finds his pitch and quickly runs off to first.

Mully Nomah steps up to bat. The first pitch finds itself in the dirt! As the catcher scrambles Lightning Dan is already to second base! The next pitch is Wake's signature knuckleball and boy does it fool Mully! He thinks it's gonna go wide but it swings back just over the corner of the plate. Strike 1! The next pitch comes firing across the plate! Mully barely gets a piece of it but is able to get himself on base! Bring on the King!

As King Launius steps up to the plate, Wake is looking tired. Launius easily reads the high and inside pitch and is able to put it down the third base line, loading the bases! And here for YET ANOTHER shot at game-winning antics comes Anvil!

The first pitch goes wide as Wake tries to decide how to handle this beast of a hitter. The second pitch looks at first to be wide but tries to sneak across the corner of the plate, Anvil's all over this though and crushes the ball deep into right field allowing Dan Martini to cross home plate and win the game!

*Here's another question, how does relieving a pitcher work in the solo game? Is it only when the deck is empty? Finish the at-bat then switch 'em? That's kind how I took it as the batter needs the deck to go down to do well. That being said, if a batter has a good game as I've had here the deck getting the end really puts the pitcher in a particularly tight spot. It become obvious what to guess in the stare down and gives the batter tons of leeway. Can the pitcher be switched out whenever? If I'm trying to make this as fair and realistic as possible I never would have let Patriss pitch against Anvil as low as his fatigue deck was getting. I did end up letting him pitch to Anvil, as reported above, and it didn't end as badly as it could have for Patriss but I'd like to know how to rule this for future games. The same thing ended up happening to Wake in the tenth inning. I'm guessing you've gotta be able to switch whenever because that pitch deck doesn't seem to last a full inning when there's no outs to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salerno
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome report! Thanks for sharing.

ObiRobKenobi wrote:
*Actually, here's the first thing I was unclear about. When a situation sets a number of runners on base are those runners automatically taken from your lineup? That's how I played it but I couldn't find it actually addressed anywhere. Maybe that's just common sense though?

That's how I started playing it, even though it isn't explicitly in the rules. It just makes sense to me. Whenever a batter gets on base, I turn her/his player card upside down, so I know not to bat with them if they come up in the lineup again. Although, I think it's only important in the Manager Challenge games that start with the home team down by one or two runs, and not in the two player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Niven
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. I don't see many situations where'd you'd run out of batters either way as long as you're playing with a line-up of six. Especially since outs on contact are always ruled to get the lead runner out.

EDIT: Also, thanks for your compliment! I'll be sure to post a summary for each of my games in the first Manager's challenge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mullins
United States
Lincoln University
PA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's always my turn.
mbmbmbmbmb
2Ravens wrote:
Awesome report! Thanks for sharing.

ObiRobKenobi wrote:

That's how I started playing it, even though it isn't explicitly in the rules. It just makes sense to me. Whenever a batter gets on base, I turn her/his player card upside down, so I know not to bat with them if they come up in the lineup again. Although, I think it's only important in the Manager Challenge games that start with the home team down by one or two runs, and not in the two player games.

This is a great point. I've always just put the runners meeples on base, and then built my lineup. Part of the design is that you'd select different batters with someone on 2nd (E.g. Mully) than you would if the bases were empty (Hannah).

In either case, it doesn't matter since you'd be able to return to the previous batters if the situation allowed, but I'll be sure to move this question to the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Niven
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 2 added to OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Slade
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have inspired me. My managerial play is soon to come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.