United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmb
my entry for the 2015 18 card microgame contest

players: 1-2
time: 20 minutes
age: 12+ (despite the theme, this game has pretty deep strategy!)

Protect the llamacorns! Llamacorns love to travel, but it is not safe for them to leave Llamaland alone. Choose a team of elite Hamsters to take on the job of Llamacorn Ranger and save the llamacorns before they get themselves off of the island and into trouble!
Don't be fooled by the art and theme! Llamacorn Ranger is a very challenging game of strategy for 1-2 players.

PnP files : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B80G4XVK-QdrWEw1SlR2ak4wbzA...

rules : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B80G4XVK-QdrRG1pQ3MtTG11clU...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Di Stefano
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmb
i didnt think that i would enter this year...then about 10 days ago I was watching a movie (Boys From Brazil) and thought about doing a game about nazi hunters. The game worked nicely but the subject was too serious...so...llamacorns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Di Stefano
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmb
Llamacorn Ranger is pretty much contest ready! Just doing some final tests on the character creation part and trying to decide if I should leave 1 or 2 blank ranger cards so players can build their own characters using only included components or if I should just include the 4 pregenerated rangers and if players want to build their own characters they can use index cards and not count that aspect for purposes of the contest...open to feedback

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Marc-

Just got a game in at lunch. Not sure I played correctly. I ended up with a positive 34. Only one Llamacorn escaped.

Comments & questions on the rules:

Are the ranger cards double-sided? I printed them that way, but that seems to limit the ranger combinations.

Can rangers move in either direction, unless directed by a Llamacorn card? That is, if the rangers even move at all?

And "move" is going from one corner to the next, correct? Moving from the rainbow to the tree is one move, for example.

Do the Llamacorns just stop on the airport? Some ranger actions allow for moving a Llamacorn, but the rules state they cannot be moved past the airport- so could a Llamacorn be moved back to the spot (train or ship) that it started the turn on? (This is for the attract and scare actions.)

And reading those two actions again, it indicates that a CORNER is actually an AREA. I had played with an AREA being an entire card. So I parked my rangers on the tree, and then captured every Llamacorn that entered the game- regardless of it being the tree, pyramid or rainbow. Since my rangers don't have to move, I just left them there. (I'll try it again with CORNER=AREA. The rules do say "1 area card" in components.)

Since rangers capture before the jet leaves, Llamacorns can be captured from the airport, correct?

The rainbow horn add 1 to the capture value of all Llamacorns in play, correct? So it could push a Llamacorn to 6, which *could* be higher than the combined capture value of the rangers, correct? The effects of the Llamacorns goes away once they escape or are captured, correct?

Definitely a "nice" game!

One suggestion: Could you put colored arrows in between the icons? Then if I move in the "blue" direction, I always know which way that is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Di Stefano
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmb
Thanks for trying the game! Ranger cards are double sided. I set it up so that the teams that cant be made are the worst combinations. The 4 possible teams are pretty good. On that note, I think that I am going to leave 2 of them blank for the final entry because the character creation aspect has become my favourite part of the game. I appreciate all opinions on the matter.

Rangers can move in any direction. Llamacorn cards only move themselves.

Exactly, moving from rainbow to tree is 1 move. Moving is going from one corner to the next (good feedback on the wording, i will change to "land card or map card")(there are 3 locations on each area card.)

moved past the airport means that if they are at the airport, you cannot push them to the side that forces them to make another lap (but , as you said, you can push them back to the location they came from)

Please completely ignore the term "area card". The board just happens to be made of cards, the areas are the icons on the corners of the cards (will be changing name to land card). Being able to park on the tree and capture on all 3 locations would make the game way too easy.

Llamacorns can be captured from the airport.

Rainbows do add 1 to the capture value and can indeed raise the llama to 6 (or even 7 if both rainbows are out) . The effect ends as soon as the llama is either captured or escapes.

Thanks again for playing and all the detailed feedback! Greatly appreciated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
niceGames wrote:

Thanks again for playing and all the detailed feedback! Greatly appreciated

You're welcome! I'm glad the rules are like what I was thinking... Just a bit more clarity would help. And think about the colored arrows as well...

And Llamacorn is just cool. Any plans on plush versions?wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Di Stefano
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmb
Rules have been updated
and no plush llamacorns yet but i want them for Christmas gifts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great design, I love the art and theme. I particularly like the way that a Nazi-hunting game naturally turned into a llamacorn roundup experience.

I played a game, I think I got most of it right. I had 3 escaped llamacorns.

A few notes:
- I didn't use any of the abilities for manipulating the deck. It just didn't seem too necessary.
- I think I may have missed, or done some of the llama's effects (my fault, but that could account for my high score)
- I know this is an 18 card contest, but I feel like a few more llamas, and/or a larger/more varied board (possibly a river fork) would spice up the party...possible post-contest expansion?
- I feel like there are some alignment issues with the cards, and they are not quite in a straight grid, though that could just be my printer

A few questions:
- For the party action, the rules state adjacent cards. Does that mean it can only be done if there are 3 llamacorns in adjacent spaces excluding the rangers' current space?
- Can the party-captured llamacorn be anyone in an adjacent space, or is it limited to the catch number (can a ranger with catch 2 catch a catch 5 llamacorn)
- Again with the party, if '2 rangers use it', does this mean that both rangers have to have the party ability?
- Similarly, if you want boh rangers to team up to combine the net score, does that mean that both cannot perform any other action (other than moving, or move-capture)?
- Does the 'move moto' increase the number of spaces that can be moved in free movement, or is it a separate action?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Di Stefano
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmb
Thanks for the feedback! I am really glad that you like the art
3 escaped Llamacorns is probably a pretty good score(somewhere between 3 and 15 points depending on their catch numbers).

This game has many, vastly different, but viable strategies. I use a lot of deck manipulation to avoid effects when they would be inconvenient and to control the appearance of llamas that I can catch. Some strategies involve less deck manipulation.

I am actually working on a sister game that won't be included in this contest. It is almost the same but has a couple of different powers and card effects and a different map card. The 2 games will combine to make a 36 card game for 1-3 (you use 3 llamacorns in the combined game)

Quote:
For the party action, the rules state adjacent cards. Does that mean it can only be done if there are 3 llamacorns in adjacent spaces excluding the rangers' current space?

If there are 3 or more llamacorns in the one of the spaces adjacent to the ranger using this ability, she may catch 1 (any of them, this does not involve the net #, that is a completely different action).

Quote:
Again with the party, if '2 rangers use it', does this mean that both rangers have to have the party ability?

Rangers can only use their own abilities (the 4 icons in the corners of the card) they cannot use any abilities not indicated on their card.

Quote:
Similarly, if you want boh rangers to team up to combine the net score, does that mean that both cannot perform any other action (other than moving, or move-capture)?
Each ranger can only use one of their 4 possible actions per turn. So if they both use their "catch llama" action, they cannot take any more actions.

There is NO FREE MOVEMENT in this game...ever! Moving is an action. Moto means that you can move 2 spaces (instead of just into adjacent area) and carry another ranger with you. Moving always costs an action, that is what makes moto so good.

I hope this was helpful.

Thanks again for playing and for all the excellent feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
niceGames wrote:

There is NO FREE MOVEMENT in this game...ever! Moving is an action. Moto means that you can move 2 spaces (instead of just into adjacent area) and carry another ranger with you. Moving always costs an action, that is what makes moto so good.

Aaah, I just looked at the rules again and I missed that meaning of 'choose' (I read it that moving could be taken in addition to another action, rather than it is a possible action that is not shown on the card). I'd recommend clearing that up, perhaps including moving it in the list of actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Di Stefano
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmb
Thanks again for all the fantastic feedback! Rules have been updated again for clarity.

Any opinions on whether to include more player characters or leave the backs of ranger cards blank for character creation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
niceGames wrote:
Thanks again for all the fantastic feedback! Rules have been updated again for clarity.

Any opinions on whether to include more player characters or leave the backs of ranger cards blank for character creation?

Personally, I'd like more characters. I would probably just use a blank card to design a character rather than the opposite side of a card. It would also help to play a few different rangers to think about my ideal team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.