Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Johns
United States
New Derry
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little confused on recruiting and the intended use of the pathfinder card (2and2)
The rules imply that you can only recruit one card per turn, the exception being that with the PATHFINDER card you can purchase two--by slitting off 2 point to two different cards. Thus combining values and making two purchases.

My question is do I have to ALWAYS split the two values(pathfinder 2&2) between two different cards? Can I combined the two values(pathfinder 2&2)and buy just ONE card valued at 3or4? If so does that negate a second buy action with an other card the same turn?

Along the same lines, can the recruiting value of anyone card be split off or must the recruiting value be applied to the purchase of only one card? (overage lost) This could became an issue when purchasing multiple cards, especially when playing two pathfinder cards on the same turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

1. For your Pathfinder question, did this thread not answer it? Go here: Pathfinder card

2. For your second question, see the rules for Phase 6, bottom of page 9. "Normally you may recruit only one card". To recruit two cards, you need the Pathfinder for which, see #1 above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Waite
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I sometimes add 2 regular cards together- say a 3 and
And a 2. It's the only way you're going to
Purchase a thunderbolt that costs 5.
I think I'm playing that right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, I believe you are. The rules on page 9 sort of hint at that when they say, "Any cards remaining in your hand with a Recruit Value may be used to "buy" cards in the drop zone."
Note the plural use of the word, "card".

But also, as I was alluding to above when answering Dennis' second question - (as far as I can tell) you can buy only one card (unless you're using the Pathfinder). So while I think you can combine several cards together to build your Recruit Value which you'll use for payment, you still buy only one card. As I discussed in my #2 paragraph in the post above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Johns
United States
New Derry
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Barry, that clears things up. I was not aware of the others thread as it was posted under "general" not "rules".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry has been a great help to lots of players recently
thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Michael
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Along the same lines, can the recruiting value of anyone card be split off or must the recruiting value be applied to the purchase of only one card? (overage lost)

You cannot split the recruiting value of one card and apply it to multiple cards. Except the Pathfinder that must be split.

It is what makes the Pathfinder different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume that you can choose to apply recruit value to one side of a Pathfinder's recruit value or the other.

For instance, if you had a Pathfinder, a second card with a recruit value of 2, and a third card also with a recruit value of 2, (I think) you could recruit one of the following combos:

6 and 2
4 and 4

You could not recruit 5 and 3 because that would require splitting one of the 2 recruit values.

Also, with 2 Pathfinders in hand, you can do the following combos:

4 and 2 and 2
4 and 4

Hopefully, I'm right and not leading people astray.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Michael
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct on all counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Johns
United States
New Derry
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John, if in the recruit phase I have just one pathfinder card to recruit with; in the drop zone there are four cards, each with a purchase cost of 2. No modifiers in play. Since the pathfinder recruit value is 2 and 2, I assume I could buy two cards. If that is correct-then what prevents me from buying four cards(each at a value of 2}if I have two pathfinder cards? I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this rule. I must be missing something...lead me to the light- others have tried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Normally you're allowed to buy only one card during the Recruitment Phase. Each Pathfinder you play allows you to buy one additional card during that phase. If you stop thinking right there then you'll be all set.

Don't get hung up on trying to add all the parachute icons together when you play more than one Pathfinder card (though intuitively one would think you should be able to). The 2nd icon on each card is simply telling you that this card buys an additional card, using the payment protocols discussed in the above posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Johns
United States
New Derry
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again Barry. I feel like I'm being a pain to you guys.

I guess I am having trouble with the way the rules are written. In the rules it says when two icons are separated by an "or" you can do one or the other, if separated by an "and" you can do both.

My initial interpretations of that was that with a pathfinder(2and2) I could split off up to 2 recruit points to enhance an other card's value(one purchase) "and" then spend the remaining two points to make a direct purchase from the drop zone, of a card 2 or less(second purchase)

Or split off up to 2 recruit points twice and enhance the buying power of two different cards(two purchases) Of course the pathfinder does not make a direct purchase in this case.

Or if I only had one pathfinder during the recruit phase(no other cards to enhance)I could purchase two cards of a value of 2 or less, if available. 2and2 (two direct purchases).

In John's example above-With two pathfinders in hand he said you could do the combo 4and 2and 2. Which in effect is both pathfinder spending all 8 points(two direct purchases and one combo). By the rules if one pathfinder card can buy two 2 value cards then why can't two pathfinder cards buy four 2 valued cards? The only way it makes sense to me is to state that a pathfinder can only split off one set of(2s). In which case the "icons" on the pathfinder card should be something like: 2and[2] The boxed [2] indicating that only 2 recruit points can be split off to enhance an other card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Michael
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each Pathfinder lets you recruit one additional card.
Each pathfinder has two recruitment points you can spend on one card and two points you can spend on another card.

Just apply the rules for the Pathfinder to the Pathfinder.
Don't over think it. Of course a Pathfinder can directly purchase two cards costing 2 each. Of course he can add a two to other cards' recruitment values.
Or use him to recruit just one card costing two. Or combine him with another pathfinder you've been dealt to recruit three cards costing 2,4, and 2.
Or keep things simple and just have him charge a block house...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Johns
United States
New Derry
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Each Pathfinder lets you recruit one additional card.
Each pathfinder has two recruitment points you can spend on one card and two points you can spend on another card."

Max what I'm I miss-reading from your above statement?

If one Pathfinder lets you recruit one additional card, why would not two pathfinder cards let you recruit two additional cards -if available?

I understand the idea of making combos and applying pathfinder to pathfinder.

There is something implied here that I'm just not getting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Michael
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Base rule you can recruit one card.
A Pathfinder allows you to recruit one additional card.
Two Pathfinders allow you to recruit two additional cards equals three.
The Pathfinders have a special ability to recruit an additional card for every Pathfinder in addition to their recruiting factors.
Does that help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Johns
United States
New Derry
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Max I have owned three Old English Sheepdogs over the years, my last one died a few month ago, he was 13 years old. After he died I went smaller and now have an English Bulldog.

Nope, but that's how I'm playing it. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D C
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mb
Bit of a mind twist to be sure......

Pathfinder 1 ability: Recruit points on A + B
Pathfinder 2 ability: Recruit points on A + C
The base rule only allows one card to be recruited each turn (A)so if you play 2 pathfinders together you can only recruit 1x A, 1x B & 1x C for a total of 3 cards...............easy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

NZl fan wrote:
... (A)so if you play 2 pathfinders together you can only recruit 1x A, 1x B & 1x C for a total of 3 cards...............easy!

Except that if you count the number of A's, B's, and C's in your example, there are two A's, not one as you listed at the end. I think this is where people are getting hung-up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Johns
United States
New Derry
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Except that if you count the number of A's, B's, and C's in your example, there are two A's, not one as you listed at the end. I think this is where people are getting hung-up."

[/q]
This is what I'm hung up on. I'm playing as you guys suggested, but I think the rules and the symbols on the pathfinder cards should be changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so if i only have one pathfinder to use, and the drop zone only contains cards that each cost 3 points, i cant recruit any card because i cant add his recruitment points together?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, unfortunately
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Michael
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorik is correct.
2+2 does not equal 4.
It is 2 and another 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.