Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek B
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This could be considered a "training wheels" variant and at the same time potentially raise the difficulty.
Separate the 1 coin advanced feats into its own pile these are also always available and then from the rest of the advanced feat deck deal out three cards. These cards only are available to you this turn of course if you buy a card the replacement is also available at the end of the Hero turn place the 3 cards under the advanced feat deck and deal 3 more for your next turn.There is always the possibility that the card you need at this moment is not there hence the negative factor.
I have found that in this game of predominantly text-heavy cards the narrowing of choice helps in making the card buying decision more manageable(less AP) and interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I independently came up with an almost identical variant, after reading about Crow's lawn-mower maneuvers with his short sword mastery. It was so close to yours that I thought I'd share here.

Like your variant, I have players deal out three advanced feats each to form the "offer". I keep all the 1-resolve cards mixed in, though, and don't cycle through the offer every round. If you don't like the cards available, you can either buy a cheap one (and then replenish the offer), or the party can spend 1-resolve to cycle through the advanced feats. When a resolve is spent in this way, all players can discard any or all of their advanced feat offers to the bottom of the deck and replenish them.

There is less reading, like you mentioned, and there are no extra steps. If nobody wants to buy anything in their offer, you can all agree to take a time-out to spend one resolve to get more cards. Otherwise, the game continues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek B
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will try your variant out I like the idea of keeping all the cards together

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to report back - this game has some real depth. I've played many times now with the variant I describe and it works especially well for new players. However, I recently stopped doing it in games with more experienced people (hey, what do you know? You called it in your first post with "training wheels").

The problem with my variant is that you often really do need the card that matches your situation and I think the game is balanced around that fact. This is less true when you're using Arani the Healer and can muddle your way through encounters without dying, but still... you really do need to pick the right Advanced Feat at times. I am now thinking the cards are too cheap perhaps, because I always have mounds of resolve by the time I get to the end. Or maybe it is just time for the next level of challenge. =)

I really do like Mistfall and I hope we get to the point someday for a second edition that can incorporate some formatting changes and make it easier to parse the blocks of text on every card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Davydov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I came to the same idea. Later I saw this thread.

My variant was (wrote about this in this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1704072/increasing-difficul...):

"4. Each player shuffles Advanced Feats for their Character. Reveals three. That player can purchase from revealed Advanced Feats only.
At the end of the round, new Feats are added from the top of the deck in place of the purchased ones.
The last thing - during Encounter's Aftermath one revealed Feat may be replaced with a new one from the top of the deck (putting the discarded Feat beneath the deck)."

Probably it is a good idea to add the possibility of paying some resolve to replace a Feat. But I think that 1 resolve => replace one Feat may be be enough. Else it looks like sliding back to the uber-combo decks.

The idea behind all this:
- Increasing difficulty by ruining the predetermined mechanics.
- Avoid uber-combos, that look dull and overpowered after you played them once. No honour and no wits in killing all common enemies in one hit by Arcane mage during the Final Encounter.
- Speed up the game in a gaming group. It's much faster to choose from 3 cards than from the whole deck.

Overall, sorry for a long post. Generally I'm happy to see that this idea is nice and could work. Especially funny to see that we all came to a number of 3 cards =) Magic =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.