United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did ask here, but the thread's already ballooned to 4+ pages, so I figured I'd ask here to keep things clean and separated.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1310976/why-are-game-rul...

Do they just grab someone who's available within the pub? I'd imagine large entities like FFG, and giants like Hasbro have their own dedicated departments for that. For indie shops, I guess the designer pulls double, triple, quadruple duty on that? For "medium" ones, I'd imagine they just get somebody who can 'possibly' spare the time to do that? I'm guessing this sort of thing will never get outsourced due to costs and time factors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
As you alluded to, it depends on the scale of the effort. In any case, the designer has to write the first draft of rules. In the case of a kickstarter, this might be as far as things go.

In bigger organizations, a developer will likely be assigned to the project, and that person will, among other things, be in charge of further refinement of the rules, be it by them or another person, such as a proof-reader. Further, when a developer is involved, the game may change before final release. Too, play testing feedback may yield changes in the game and the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently they sometimes grab the janitor and stick him in front of a keyboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of like a lawyer representing himself in court, having the designer writing the final version of the rules is usually a bad idea.

Sometimes, it might be better to get the janitor involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I'd imagine large entities like FFG, and giants like Hasbro have their own dedicated departments for that.

Aren't FFG rulebooks notoriously bad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, but I saw an example that made me wonder if they should have passed the rules by a native English speaker, or maybe it's more locally cultural than I think.

Now the color of Oxford (left of London) and York, and the banner by York (upper right) is in the rules as "a different red". The color of Wales (especially, Cardiff), to the Isle of Man, and the left side of London (5 player) is called, "red."

To my Californian eyes, Oxford and York are red, the only red. Wales is brown, not even a reddish brown. I can only conclude this isn't true in German culture. (And I have the same impression from the actual board.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.