Subject: What makes for a good print-n-play demo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Baker
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
What do you look for in a print-n-play demo? What are some good examples you've seen? Do you want a layout that is home-printer-friendly, even if that means using scissors or tape to put things together?

I'm a publisher and I'd like to make it easy for people to sample my upcoming game. But I've never tried to offer a print-n-play demo, so I figured I'd ask what works for people.

Rich Baker
Sasquatch Game Studio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously you want to make a good impression with the game, so a lot of people want PnP files to be in full color. There may be reasons not to do this, for example, you want people to buy your game and not just print out their own copy, so a limited play version and/or prototype artwork are acceptable.

But while full-color PnP files are nice to look at, I (along with many others I'm sure), much more prefer printer-friendly, low-ink versions. If color isn't critical to the gameplay, they make the files greyscale.

And something a lot of PnP files are missing are printing instructions. Most component files are straightforward, so instructions are not necessary, but if there are a lot of different pieces, list out what they are and any other instructions, such as which backs go with with front pages, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Esko
United States
White Haven
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To add onto this question, If you don't mind Richard,

At what point is a PnP too much?
as in component wise?
I have a game that I have been working on that will be 25 cards(Double sided), 2 dice, 15-20 tokens, and 4 player boards would this be too much for someone to pnp?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always bring your towel.
United States
Morrilton
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
-Ideally, black-and-white for being easy on home printers. Mine prints in color but cartridges are expensive. I'd rather save my color ink for strictly PNP games. Obviously this means replacing color-dependent aspects with something appropriate (or just not making your game color-dependent in the first place).

-Not too much that has to be constructed. If I have to print and cut out 200 cards for your game, I'm not going to do that 90% of the time, and I'll pass on demoing your game. If tokens and such can be replaced with bits I already have (thus minimizing the amount I have to print and prepare), then that's great.

-A really good, clear rulebook. This sounds like it goes without saying, but if your rules are poorly written, you may want to rethink putting it out there for people to try without your guidance.

Those are the three major things that determine whether I will PNP a demo or just try out any game that is PNP, really. Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Baker
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Good suggestions. I wouldn't have thought about the greyscale. It might not work great for my game (I have a couple of color-dependent elements) but maybe I can route around that for the PNP.

I'm not worried about giving away "too much" of the game, simply because we don't have artwork for most of the cards at this point, and I'm pretty sure people will want a nice mounted board and a bucket of meeples and so on.

Does it make sense to PNP a subset of the game? Say my game normally has 120 cards, but I think I could pick out 30 or 40 that provide a good taste of the experience. I could see that printing ten pieces of paper is a lot less of a headache than printing twenty. Would you rather have a more complete demo, or a demo that's less hassle to assemble?

Rich Baker
Sasquatch Game Studio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
All you gotta do is give em a little taste! Hide all the clever things and showcase the unique stuff.

You can have a PnP that takes a lot of effort to craft but it better have a huge pay off.

If you have a game that is 120 cards, cut all the cards in half and just put the text on them. You just saved half the printing/cutting. Just put the cards in there that will create the best 'wow' moment. It doesn't have to have long-term replayability.

The game's mechanics should stand on its own and the artwork and production is the incentive to buy the full retail product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.