16 Posts

Ascension: Deckbuilding Game» Forums » General

Subject: I'm Brand New... What Should I Buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Scott
msg tools
mb
I've never played Ascension before but I've heard good things. I wasn't really sure where to start. It looks like the Year One: Collector's Edition (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/158976/ascension-year-on...) includes the base game, but Year Two: Collector's Edition (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/180616/ascension-year-tw...) is coming out very soon, yet looks like it does not include the base game. Also, the Year One Collector's Editions look to be about $35 more than the base game. Is it worth it?

If anybody has any suggestions for me, that would be great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Year 1 collector's edition is not just the base game, but also Return of the Fallen, all of the Year 1 Promos, and a couple of other mini-expansions. Either of the two Collector's Edition packs are great values if you want to buy everything out there.

If, on the other hand, you are not sure that you are an Ascension fan, I would recommend looking into Apprentice Edition. It is a much cheaper entry point and contains a good mix of cards for 2 players to start playing. Unfortunately, it is made up of reprints from other sets (mostly the base game, I think), so it will not be a set you will play much if you buy lots of the other sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Ascension: Apprentice Edition to try out the game (solo or 2-player, although there are a slightly too few cards for solo).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dastardly Knave
msg tools
mb
Another +1 for the apprentice edition. For a really cheap entry price it'll give you a really good idea of what the game is about and whether you want more sets and more complexity. I have a few other sets but the apprentice edition still gets plenty play as our travel version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is also out in digital format if you're into that sort of thing. Android, iOS, and Steam. However, check the reviews for Steam to see if there are still issues with it.

I'm sure it's not as good as playing against real players, but it does have almost a cult following.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Pickel

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed the Android version except it was very glitch. Even when it was the only app I had running it would crash my phone within 5 minutes of play time. That being said, I feel it's still a good way to see if Ascension is the game for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you buy both year one and two collector's editions, is that everything Ascension, or are you still missing some content?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
M_Strauss wrote:
If you buy both year one and two collector's editions, is that everything Ascension, or are you still missing some content?

No, you'll be missing most of the content.

For the first six major releases, Ascension was composed of paired expansions (the first larger, the second smaller).

Year One: Chronicle of the Godslayer (2010) + Ascension: Return of the Fallen (2011)
Year Two: Ascension: Storm of Souls (2011) + Ascension: Immortal Heroes (2012)
Year Three? Ascension: Rise of Vigil (2013) + Ascension: Darkness Unleashed (2013)

They've since done away with that paired format, and have released
Ascension: Realms Unraveled (2014)
Ascension: Dawn of Champions (2015)
Ascension: Dreamscape (2015...ish)

So the "Year" editions so far collect two expansions each, plus all the promos released during that time (of which there are many). Nothing after Year Two has been announced, but it'd be safe to assume that Year Three would put together the 2013 releases. It's less clear how they would group releases after that.

So: if you buy both Year One and Year Two you'll have only 4 of the 9 major releases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh okay. I only own the Apprentice Edition and the Android App. Love the game, would also love to pick up all the physical content. However, I've heard there's a difference between styles of the older stuff and the newer stuff, and that the older stuff is being reprinted in the new style? That's the only thing making me a little hesitant about jumping in, if its true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
mbmbmb
M_Strauss wrote:
Oh okay. I only own the Apprentice Edition and the Android App. Love the game, would also love to pick up all the physical content. However, I've heard there's a difference between styles of the older stuff and the newer stuff, and that the older stuff is being reprinted in the new style? That's the only thing making me a little hesitant about jumping in, if its true.

That is correct. As old expansions go out of print, the reprints are in the new style. I don't know what the status of most of the current releases are. The Year One and Year Two collector sets are all the new design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, so I guess getting the year one and year two sets first are probably the best way to go if I want them to share the same look as the Apprentice Edition, right? Speaking of which, is the Apprentice Edition intended to be mixed into the other base sets, or do you just kind of put it away once you game the big box games? I ask because, judging from the Android game, most if not all of the Apprentice Edition cards are actually in Chronicle of the God Slayer and other base games, though the artwork is a little different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I wasn't aware of any cards unique to Apprentice Edition -- it's more like an inexpensive teaser to draw you into the bigger sets.

As for getting the new art, besides the Year sets, I know Chronicles of the Godslayer (original base set) and Storm of Souls have both been reissued with the new art and frames, but not the smaller sets of Return of the Fallen and Immortal Heroes. But I wouldn't guarantee I'm right here. (Also note that the Year One and Two sets have special foil art, so some people might not like them mixed in with non-collector's-edition releases.)

Your best bet is to ask or look on the official Ascension forums, where you can get answers straight from the source: https://ascensiongame.com/board/viewforum.php?f=2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Collector Editions seem to be a fine path to follow. Apprentice Editions are the same cards from the previous sets... base game and Return Of The Fallen IIRC, but only their card art is different, they have more/different flavor text, and honor tokens are replaced with cardboard coins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robininni wrote:
If I buy both the Year 1 and 2 collector editions, does its art match all the other sets forward from 2013 on?
The art should match future YxCE... like if we were to get a Y3CE. The art varies from Realms Unraveled and beyond, vs before those, so those are differences right there (in addition to the YxCE being foil cards).

robininni wrote:
Also, I read one account of the card size in the collector 2 box not being quite right to match other sets. Is this true?

Thanks.
I've heard of base game cards being somewhat larger than RotF (exp 1), citing they wanted to change to this size going forward. I'd hate to think they're changing again. IDK if they did or didn't for that matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.