Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've decided I want to make myself a nice wooden dice tower..but the noise if the dice can get a bit loud. I'm debating on whether to use felt, some of the craft foam rubber (about 1mm thick) or get some thin mouse pad material. I figure that I'll want to put this on the ramps plus the inner walls to minimize the noise plus on the outfeed tray. Any opinions on which is best?

I'm going to be using pine for the tower/tray (since it's what I have)and I'm going to do finger joints for the tower to make it look fancy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco DeLaurentis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But the rattling of the dice is part of the awesomeness that is a dice tower!!

But in all seriousness, if you do lin it, make sure that you adjust the measurements to allow proper rolling with the inlays. I would say the rubber dice mat material would dampen the noise better than just felt, but would dampen the dice rolling in general. I would suggest lining the inside ramps with the dice mat material, but the tray in something like felt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

I used some thin foam on a dice tray and it really gave them a bounce. I'd be inclined to use that if you want to keep the kinetic energy high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Paton
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a contrary point to the previous poster, I've used foam on my dice tower trays, and the dice go flying off the end of the tray. Sometimes, too much kinetic energy is a bad thing. I tend to stick with felt these days, both for the baffles and the tray. There are plenty of colour options for peel and stick felt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I grabbed some of the peel & stick felt and lined the inside of my Broken Token tower. It silenced the dice nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.