Michael Parla
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. I am new to designing games. I’m more familiar with illustrating and designing them graphically. Recently, I reconnected with a friend of mine, JohnM (Rival X) who has created a game and now we are working together to get this published either by a publisher or on Kickstarter.

The game’s working title is “Rival X” and it is a 2-player deck building fighting card game based on 2 40 card decks. Each deck represents a gang with their own unique theme and style of combat. This demo PnP PDF (all in 14 pages) will contain the rules, 80 cards, and 6 tokens needed to play while the play testers will supply tracking counters or tokens and a 6-sided die. First game should last about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Others should be around 30 minutes.

At this point, Rival X has only been play tested by close friends and family. We are looking to expand into local gaming groups were I will invest more professional decks and coomponents, but before we do I want to get outside opinions on it and rebrand, refine, and simplify it a bit. I’m looking for volunteers to play test this game. Basically, I would like to know the following.

1. Were you able to learn the game with the rules provided? What do you think needs more clarification?
2. Did you have fun? What elements did you like best/least?
3. From a game play perspective, what would you improve on or add to the game? How?
4. What would you remove from the game? Why?
5. Did you find the theme engaging?
6. From a theme perspective, what would you change?
7. What do you think the target market for this game is?

Link to file: www.dropbox.com/s/54cjfoxp43rkr88/RivalX_PnP_Rules_v01.pdf?d...

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Parla
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Updated thread to contain a link to the PnP. See Above. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible to "mix" both PnP decks to afford deckbuilding to players ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Parla
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. Although there is only enough to just make 2 decks so it may not be fair if one gets to build first. By all means please give that a shot. Thanks for your interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Parla
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still looking for play testers. Looking to re theme and would like some insight to what some strangers think of it. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Parla
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't had much response here. Any suggestions as to why (looking of constructive feed back), is my pdf too long, are the rules tough to understand, people just not interested in the game?

I'd really like some input, especially on theme fun factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yo,

It's been ~20 days since you posted your files. I'm the only one that replied to your post and you only have 2 thumbs up.

I don't know why because your game seems interesting...

Did you post an entry in the monthly "what did you craft" geeklists ? Do you have a WIP thread in the Work in progress forum ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Parla
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
courtjus wrote:
Yo,

It's been ~20 days since you posted your files. I'm the only one that replied to your post and you only have 2 thumbs up.

I don't know why because your game seems interesting...

Did you post an entry in the monthly "what did you craft" geeklists ? Do you have a WIP thread in the Work in progress forum ?

I have a post in Design about themes but not in the "What did you craft" section. Still relatively new to this community so haven't figure these things out. I guess I will create a WIP thread and start there. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.