Subject: Lighter, 2-4 player, low-luck, good for kids too rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
I haven't bought or played any games for a few years now, and I'm a bit behind on what newer games are available.

Please recommend a game:
- Published 2010 or later
- Lighter-weight game - under two hours, not too brain-burny
- Low confrontation
- Low luck/randomness
- fun for adults and two girls age 9 and 13
- prefer: lots of chrome or theme

My wife's favorite games are San Juan, Saint Petersburg, and Goa. Also likes co-ops like Pandemic and Forbidden Island. She likes planning and resource management. She also likes mystery and deduction. So maybe something along one or more of these lines, that my daughters would also like.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Lighter, 2-4 player, low-luck
Castles of Mad King Ludwig is a good option :) Build your own castle and get victory points through:
Room placement
Room completion
Room adjacency
Open goals (points for 1/2/3/4 place)
Secret goals (your own goal cards)

Probably not too complex for a 9 year old, but good fun. With 4 players, 2 hours would be reasonable. With 2 players, you could knock it out in an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Sheep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Skelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Desert - This falls somewhere between Forbidden Island and Pandemic in terms of complexity. I like this game WAY more than Forbidden Island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:
I haven't bought or played any games for a few years now, and I'm a bit behind on what newer games are available.

Please recommend a game:
- Published 2010 or later
- Lighter-weight game - under two hours, not too brain-burny
- Low confrontation
- Low luck/randomness
- fun for adults and two girls age 9 and 13
- prefer: lots of chrome or theme

My wife's favorite games are San Juan, Saint Petersburg, and Goa. Also likes co-ops like Pandemic and Forbidden Island. She likes planning and resource management. She also likes mystery and deduction. So maybe something along one or more of these lines, that my daughters would also like.

Thanks!

Glass Road: Published in 2013. One of Uwe's lighter games, with a 2 player game coming in under an hour easily. Low confrontation but still has player interaction with the role selection cards (with a little bit of deduction trying to guess what your opponent will play to optimize your turns). It has resource management/conversion in spades, and I love the resource wheels (a pretty unique part of the game). No chrome or oozing theme, but I think not much different than those you listed as your wife's favorites.

It has very quickly become a favorite among my wife & me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Crab Stack, Hey, That's My Fish! are both light abstract strategy games that do well with kids and adults.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.