Subject: It's a hit! Where to go from here? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Smith
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Backstory: I've been trying to form my friends into gamers, and I've had some success with other games like Forbidden Desert, The Resistance, Coup, and Sheriff of Nottingham. However, none of those were quite as successful as Mysterium. Everybody was engrossed into what was going on, and we had a great time. We played this three times in a row, and only then did we get tired of sitting.

So afterwards, I asked what they like about it. Here's what I was able to gather.

+It's beautiful!
+Everybody is involved at all points
+It's thematic WITHOUT the players losing control of the game. They said that other Ameritrash games were as thematic, but much more random due to factors like dice, which they dislike. They also felt like that games like Pandemic were beating them to the ground, and that just isn't fun.
+The game made them feel like they were actually playing as psychics.

I have a pretty decent collection of games, and I've not played anything like this myself.

What games do you think would appeal to my group based off of these points? Where should I bring them from Mysterium?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Teo
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
have you tried Divinare ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obvious one is Dixit, although there is no theme, and it sounds as if your group really enjoyed that aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Smith
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Divinare looks interesting, I might check that out.

Personally, I think Mysterium is a better game than Dixit, and so do others in my group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't meet any of your bullet points (except maybe keeping everyone involved), but your group should definitely try Codenames. Almost all 'non-gamer' groups I've seen absolutely love it, and play 4+ games back-to-back.

For something much more directly Mysterium-like, check out Deception: Murder in Hong Kong and Concept.

I also suggest getting a copy of Say Anything. It's a fun game itself, but add a pack of colored dry-erase pens to it and you can also play A Fake Artist Goes to New York with it, which is even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theitalianviking wrote:
Personally, I think Mysterium is a better game than Dixit, and so do others in my group.

Yup - I agree
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the recommendation for Divinare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aelfric Brewer
msg tools
mbmbmb
This is a bit of a departure, but has been tried and works pretty well.

Use the rules for Codenames. You don't need to actually buy Codenames. You could make your own set - just use an old deck of playing cards, red suits (e.g., A-9 of Diamonds) for one team, black suits (e.g., A-9 of Clubs) for the other, any 7 face down cards with their backs showing for innocent bystanders, and a color joker for the assassin.

Use the free app for the setup, timer, etc.

But instead of using the word cards in a Codenames set, use Dixit cards. It should be easy to find someone trading away or selling Dixit at this point; it really has no theme of its own and the novelty has faded.

Feel free to paste on your own seance or ouija theme, or whatever your group enjoys. For basically the price of a used set of Dixit cards, it's a pretty cheap game to put together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Resistance, look no further than Deception: Murder in Hong Kong. SO GOOD!

Also, One Night Ultimate Werewolf is another amazing party game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
han stand
msg tools
Super agree - my group of friends who consist of both gamers and non-gamers really enjoyed Mysterium and also loved Concept, Codenames and Say Anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RIK FONTANA
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't answer where to bring them next.

However, I can echo your group's sentiments about Mysterium itself. I am long-time, hardcore gamer, who bought this for my 'casual gaming friends'. We played several games of it today, with several different groups of people, and all loved it. Totally agree about how unlike some co-ops, you don't get the one person dominating the discussion; everyone was involved. I watched the GREY ELEPHANT video, and got into the role of the Ghost, only answering questions with knocks, wearing a hood, playing the soundtrack in the background, etc. This game is dripping with them and atmosphere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Gerard
United States
Pearland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also wondering where to go after Mysterium.

I like a good theme but the next game in no way needs to be the same as Mysterium.

It needs to play with 2 players and preferable also with 3 players.

I like that Mysterium has no card counting or similar math-y logic.
One of the reasons that I like it better than Clue
I see the suggestion of Divinare but it has card counting for sure.

I like that Mysterium is not a word game or game that requires the players to wield language. I know that most people would say if you like Mysterium and haven't tried Dixit you should. But it does have a natural language aspect in the clues given and it only plays 3+ not 2-player.

Is there another game that is as visual and required the kind of thinking that Mysterium has to offer?

If nothing else, I hope there are a lot of expansions for Mysterium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Smith
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
After about 15 plays, I have to say that I haven't found a single other game that does quite what Mysterium does. What a unique, ethereal, and gorgeous experience this game is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theitalianviking wrote:
After about 15 plays, I have to say that I haven't found a single other game that does quite what Mysterium does. What a unique, ethereal, and gorgeous experience this game is!

I have to agree with you there I've played plenty of Party games but this is by miles the best experience. You can easily play with more people by placing people in teams of 2, you can even go 2 ghosts (they just have to be very quiet).
But no other game draws in gamers and non gamers alike like this game. Quite unfortunate really
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.