Subject: Variable Routs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Payne
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools

I find it very unrealistic for a general to know exactly when an enemy will rout.

When banners are killed from your army equaling the victory mark -2, then roll a die(D6). On a six(or better) your army routs. Roll the die again if you lose another banner, but this time add +1. If you lose another banner add +2 etc. A roll of one, will allways prevent your army from routing, no matter how many banners you lose.

If playing with the Battlefield Hero's Variant then add +1 if your commander has fallen.

Now those unrealistic charges for the win, may end in disaster, as it should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting Idea. I might try this myself. Good point about the unrealistic charges to get the last flag or two to win the game. I have had the same thoughts about Mem'44 and C&C: Ancients as well.

Where did you get the Battlefield Hero Variant?

Peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
And if you're playing with victory points earnable by terrain occupation, how do you work this into the computation?

I kinda like the theory of making the endgame a little more nebulous. But I also don't like that the whole of a dominant campaign can be completely undone by a couple unlucky rolls. A game could be defined to be to 5 VP, but if I fail my roll at flags 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7, and then my opponent rolls a 6 at his third flag and wins... well, I'll be a little bit miffed. I'd have absolutely *dominated* the game (reaching seven flags before my opponent reached three and he may not even have been in a position to ever earn any more!), and lost.

If you want to add a nebulous ending to the game, then at least have it be *fair*. If I haven't won at 7 kills it shouldn't even be possible for my opponent to win at 3. You want uncertainty? Have a program or impartial-third-party-secretkeeper run through this whole process for every number from V-2 to V+3, and write down / print out on six different 'ballots' whether or not that that V-level is sufficient for the win. The first time any player reaches a number, reveal the corresponding ballot and see if the game is over. If not, the game continues, but now it is known that *neither* side will be able to win at that VP number. So it's not possible for you to win-by-trailing - you would actually have to mount a comeback and not just get one lucky roll to overcome a side that has been dominating you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Payne
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
If your army witnesses another army holding on like demons through all those rout rolls, they may very well run at first chance. The odds are against this happening, but of course it can.

If you control a victory location, just add +1 to rolls against your enemy.

I wanted to keep it simple, but your point is a good one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Payne
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Thunder wrote:
Interesting Idea. I might try this myself. Good point about the unrealistic charges to get the last flag or two to win the game. I have had the same thoughts about Mem'44 and C&C: Ancients as well.

Where did you get the Battlefield Hero Variant?

Peace

This is another of my variants I play with. Its posted here as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Tisander wrote:
If your army witnesses another army holding on like demons through all those rout rolls, they may very well run at first chance. The odds are against this happening, but of course it can.

From a 'real world' sense it may make a bit of sense. From a 'game' sense it doesn't. Nobody wants to play a game they can dominate for an hour and lose on one unlucky die roll that in no way reflects the successful play of the game.

Tisander wrote:
If you control a victory location, just add +1 to rolls against your enemy.

My question was, would you do a roll upon capturing a victory location?

If not, you're effectively removing a means of victory as in the base game, occupation of a victory location could be a final game-winning act.

If so, and you later lost the location, and reacquired it, would you reroll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Payne
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Yes , I suppose you may have to roll upon capture of said victory location.

I havent thought much on victory locations but I'm sure it could be incorporated in a simple way. Although I disagree with causing a rout on capture of a hex alone, I see how it effects the normal victory conditions.

You could also use a further option of disallowing any rout roll from a player who has not cuased at least equal losses, For the more competitive players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Payne
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
I am currently incorporating battlelore as a combat system for Mighty Empires campaign system.

All my variants will be products of that pusuit. In the campaign, we will be dividing our banner totals by 4(25%) to determine the number of kills for a first rout roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.