Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So I finished reading the rules (both of them), and I am super excited to play this, hopefully this week, since I have it on preorder from CSI.

But I noticed a couple rules relating to gear, and wanted to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding.

First, it looks like gear can only be traded between heroes during the settlement phase after a quest. I'm not sure how many of the dungeon cards have the little gear icon on them, but I am curious how possible it is for a player to be "shut out" of getting gear. They keep on drawing the no-treasure cards, the other player draws all the treasure cards, you get the idea.

This would be exacerbated with legendary gear. After the first quest, if you win, there will be one legendary gear card in the deck. Now, I'm not sure if another gear legendary card gets added after quest 2, but I could see the potential for one or two players to draw all of the legendary cards, and others to be completely shut out, potentially for an entire 5-quest arc.

Now, I'm not claiming this is definitely an issue. I like the idea that characters will develop differently on each play through, but I also don't want to piss off my wife if she never gets her extra-powerful loot.

Second thing I noticed was that campaign pool cards go BACK to the campaign pool after each quest (unless they are a defeated nemesis). So that legendary gear card from quest 1 could keep coming back again and again.

And this makes me think that there must be another legendary reward from quest 2 or 3, since they don't want to shut players out if they lose quest 1. So you could potentially have 2 or 3 legendary gear cards floating around by quest 4, if you win consistently.

Finally, I'll finish with the first rules question I had. The rules make it pretty clear that you discard a gear card immediately if you don't have room to equip it (or replace it with a new gear card).

But my question is, does this apply during the settlement phase, if I go to the boacksmith? Or can I trade an old equipment first (since they can be traded freely during the settlement phase) and then equip the gear card I choose? I'm assuming so

Alright, done with random musings. Any other reactions to the gear rules overall?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't quite tell if you're aware that:

The 'legendary' cards which can be in the campaign pool are 'Legendary Fortune'. This is not a specific piece of gear, but rather when drawn allows the player to draw a random piece of his legendary gear.

Ignore me if you were already aware!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellicon wrote:
I couldn't quite tell if you're aware that:

The 'legendary' cards which can be in the campaign pool are 'Legendary Fortune'. This is not a specific piece of gear, but rather when drawn allows the player to draw a random piece of his legendary gear.

Ignore me if you were already aware!

I was aware

My concern was that the generic legendary fortune card could, by chance, be drawn repeatedly by the same player or two, denying legendary gear from the other heroes for multiple quests in a row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, OK. I figured that bit, just wasn't sure about the part I commented on.

Seems a possibility. I don't mind that randomness, personally, as long as someone is gearing up. I wasn't so enamoured though of the way that if you're at your max gear limit and draw gear from the dungeon deck, you will have to discard a card, rather than another character with available gear slot being able to take it. If it's intended to make the game harder, it seems an annoying way of doing it, to deny gear like that. Of course, it might play out differently. Apart from that, I liked what I read and am looking forward to getting this on wed.

Again it's hard to say without specific numbers on enemies and locations in each tier, to work out the number of cards from which non-specific 'open' cards are drawn, but based on the number of cards in each deck and in the first quest, I think there should be good replayability, before the expansions. The design is quite elegant, I think. Some seem to interpret that as cheapness by the publisher, but that's a hard position to justify with any sensible logic, just seems churlish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olof Bertilsson
Sweden
Vindeln
Västerbotten
flag msg tools
Yeah you discard it, but when drawing gear cards you can choose a new card from the gear deck or take a card from the discard pile. That way if someone discards, another can pick it up.. Thats my understanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide C
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
I also understood that you can pick up cards from the discard deck instead of drawing a new one. It is like leaving what you have found somewhere in the dungeon, where the other heroes can go and pick it up if needed.
Concerning the randomness, I think this is also made so that heroes are encouraged to all go exploring, instead of having just the best one doing so. The more a hero explores, the more chances he has to draw loot cards. If the exploration actions are balanced, I imagine you would need to be REALLY unlucky to have heroes never draw a gear card. It also makes sense thematically: to find a new piece of gear, or to pick up something left behind by another hero, your adventurer has to spend some time moving around the dungeon and exploring, and have the right opportunity to find something.

Concerning the legendary fortune cards, I guess the idea is just that the more quests you win, the more likely it is to draw these cards during a quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Bieberbach
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, since this is a co-op, it will be easy enough to house rule that gear can be traded, especially if it promotes marital harmony! But as mentioned, the rule is almost certainly there for a good reason though so best to play it as intended first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.