Arsenal: Arena Combat – Core Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about locks and Lock-Ons rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jose Manuel Larios Alonso
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When we played our match, a question about locks and Lock-Ons came up. We did it wrong because we didn't read the glossary, but there is one more thing that I'm not sure if we did wrong. The situation was:
My opponent had "Data lock" in play and marked it to put a lock on my Mech. If I, in response, played "Shake pursuit", my card wouldn't had effect because my effect is resolved first, so the lock isn't active yet and my card only would add two dice to my evasion pool. Is that right? What I did was to wait for him to play an attack to use it in response, that way he had the lock active and then I can use it properly. The problem was that in the glossary is explicitly said that if the card says "this turn", then even if you manage to scrap the source card that put the lock, that lock remains active anyway and we played that if the Lock-On is destroyed, then logically the lock is lost.
So, even if we played incorrectly that last part, the decision I took about playing "Shake pursuit" after the lock was put was the correct form of do it, right? I know I'm not explaining myself very well, it's a bit difficult for me, but I hope you understand what I mean laugh

And a second question: an instant card can be played if there isn't any card effects in play waiting to be resolved, or are "responsive" cards exclusively? Of course, I mean in your turn, it's explicitly said in the manual that you only can play instant cards when it's not your turn in response to something else.

Thanks for your time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanen Opolis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When a Lock-On is marked to use it's function, the owner must declare the mech or object that is being locked, and that subject is valid even before the function resolves and becomes active. The wording on Shake Pursuit will probably be revised in future editions, because its use of the word "target" can be confusing, since normally a target is only declared by an Attack. Shake Pursuit currently cannot be used to remove a lock, even before it's resolved (since the function remains even after the card is scrapped). It's only for removing a Lock-On card, and preparing for an Attack during your opponent's turn. Removing a Lock-On from play does not remove any locks established by that card if they are triggered functions (this turn).

You can play an instant whenever you have initiative. Period. On your own turn, you have initiative until you do something, then initiative passes around the table before that something resolves. On your opponent's turn, you do not have initiative until your opponent does something, passing initiative around the table. So if effect, yes, you may only play instants or triggered functions on an opponent's turn as a reaction to something (declaring movement, playing a card or function), but that something doesn't always need to be voluntary on the part of the active player. For example, some card functions might trigger automatically at the start or end of a player's turn, passing initiative before they resolve.

I hope that clears up some of your confusion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Manuel Larios Alonso
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
About the instant cards, now I have it clear.

About the locks and Lock-Ons, I think that I got it, but I'm going to put an example, step by step, to be sure (correct me if I make a mistake in any step): It's my opponent turn and he has "Data Lock" in play.
1- He marks his card and declare that he puts a lock on my Mech. Since this action has priority, before initiative passes to me, he has a lock put on my Mech, but he doesn't draw the card yet because the effect is waiting to be resolved.
2- Now I have initiative, and in response I play "Shake Pursuit", because I already have the lock put.
3- Initiative goes again to my opponent, but he says that he isn't going to do anything more. Now I have initiative again, and I say that I'm not going to do anything more neither.
4- Now, the effects start resolving. First is my "Shake Pursuit", so my opponent Lock-On is scrapped and then I add two dice to my evasion pool.
5- Second, it should start resolving the Lock-On effect, but since that card was already scrapped, the "draw a card" part doesn't take effect. BUT the lock is still in play. Of couse, since "Data Lock" was scrapped, the effect that add two dice to the attack roll is not applied because it's a passive effect attached to this card and it's no longer in play.
Is this way how is supposed to be resolved?

Thanks for all! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanen Opolis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't notice the first time I read this, but I do need to make a couple of corrections. Here is how your scenario would work:

1 - He marks Data Lock, selecting your Mech to have a lock on, and pays the Energy cost.
2 - The lock effect goes into limbo, waiting to be resolved. Until initiative passes around the table, and the triggered effect of Data Lock is resolved, the player DOES NOT have a lock on your Mech, but his Data Lock is currently "targeting" your Mech with the lock effect.
3 - Now you have initiative, and in response you play Shake Pursuit. You can do this because the other player's Lock-On card is "targeting" your Mech, even if the lock effect hasn't resolved yet.
4 - Initiative now passes for Shake Pursuit, but since no player plays anything else, both cards will resolve in reverse order.
5 - Shake Pursuit resolves, scrapping the Lock-On that was targeting your Mech. Unfortunately, this doesn't remove the lock effect created by the card, because it's still in limbo, waiting to be resolved.
6 - The lock effect from Data Lock now resolves, giving the player a lock on your Mech for the rest of the turn, and making the player draw a card (even though his Lock-On card was scrapped).
7 - Although the player has a lock until the end of the turn (an effect independent of the card once triggered), the passive effect of Data Lock (the two bonus dice) does NOT apply, because the card is no longer in play.

I realize this is not ideal, and we plan to change the wording slightly on the Shake Pursuit card in future revisions. It will likely say something like "choose a player that has a lock on your Mech, that player scraps his Lock-Ons, and loses all locks on your Mech," but the wording is not final. This will make Shake Pursuit more versatile and less confusing. You're welcome to use that new text as a house rule until a reprint if you like, but the current official ruling is outlined above.

Hope that clears things up!
Shane
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel E
Germany
Hattersheim
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Omnomnom
mbmbmbmbmb
@Shane: Will the revised version of Shake Pursuit printed in the actual kickstarter that is running?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanen Opolis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm still trying to judge the best wording for it, but the next update will have slightly revised text on that particular card. The cost typo on Rapid Shot has already been corrected, and I think Shake Pursuit is the only card in need of a rewording. All backers during this campaign that pledge at CONTENDERS or CHAMPIONS will get the updated revision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanen Opolis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick FYI. The official wording has been settled on and updated. You can see the change in the spoiler here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v3vmxmpw4z744xp/AAB6fty6CQ6x4Kbgb...

It now reads...

"Choose one player that has a lock on your Mech or Personal Object. Scrap that player's Lock-Ons.

Add two dice to your evasion pool."

The only change in functionality is that it can scrap more than one Lock-On if the player manages to have more than one in play, but otherwise it's the same. It's only meant to scrap Lock-Ons after there's already a lock on you, not remove the current lock (or cancel attacks).

Thanks for helping us make a better game!
Shane

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.