Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin
Japan
Iwaki
Fukushima
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a brilliant move, right? It's basically a guaranteed extra $15 or $30 from everyone, and we still have no idea what it is? I'm not being pessimistic, but man did they game us on that KS Campaign. I hope and assume it's something awesome, but all that is, is hope and ass u me ing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Heron
United Kingdom
Bangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to seeing what treats I'm getting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite part was where they said "We have added a Premier pledge level which includes all add-ons*, over 150 miniatures and includes free worldwide shipping. *The only thing not included are the hand-crafted Dog Might boxes." And then added another add on. Bait and switch. Lucky I was sitting at the dollar pledge instead of the 300 like I was going to pledge. Being busy at work saved me some money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still hoping there will be some indication of what sort of thing is in the Mystery box before locking one in the PM.

Otherwise yeah, I know it was presented as light-hearted, but it felt a little like a dirty cash grab, or at least preying on the FOMO that led us all towards the "everything pledge" which at the very last minute did not contain everything yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlord Tamburlaine
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Fairy Tale Battle Royale games were the first to offer up some sort of mystery box, similar to this. I don't know if that ever came to fruition since I never got my pledge on that game, which is neither here nor there, but I think that was the first time I saw a board game company offer one up on Kickstarter.

Maybe it's due to that association that left me quite uneasy with the mystery box idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Heron
United Kingdom
Bangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see the problem - you didn't have to buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blackpuddingbertha wrote:

This is a strange reply. Of course someone, who wants to buy everything related to game content, has to buy it. I would not buy something that is irrelevant to gameplay, but I want everything related to gameplay. So I had to buy it, because it may be related to gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Heron
United Kingdom
Bangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
blackpuddingbertha wrote:

This is a strange reply. Of course someone, who wants to buy everything related to game content, has to buy it. I would not buy something that is irrelevant to gameplay, but I want everything related to gameplay. So I had to buy it, because it may be related to gameplay.

I don't see how this is a strange reply but apologies if that's how it came across. I probably shouldn't have commented. I went all-in myself and had no problem buying a mystery box as I felt that was totally in the spirit of how the kickstarter was going (and how much fun it was - eg the whole banana joke).

Like I said no intention to cause offence to anyone. I'm still confident that it'll be something great (as that's what they said in the KS)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen other Kickstarters do a Mystery Box. It tends to be good fun -- it'll either be a nice surprise months and months later or they'll offer the backers a choice of what they'd like and let us vote.

Crowdfunding campaigns are basically games. Mystery Boxes are basically random loot from bosses. Money is the XP. If you don't want to play, you certainly don't have to; but if others are having fun, there's no reason to crap all over them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
Japan
Iwaki
Fukushima
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonbaz77 wrote:
actually....yours is the strange reply. I will repeat what they said, since you attacked them for saying the most obvious thing in the World. You did not have to buy it. In fact you didn't have to buy any of it. Anyone complaining about spending $15 on an extra thing that is COMPLETELY OPTIONAL should probably not be buying this or anything else on KS.

"I had to buy it..."

Funny stuff.

Unnecessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, I thought that this was a light hearted way to reach some sg's and generate some intrigue, to keep us guessing what might be in the mystery box. I don't know why people are seeing it as a scam, or what have you, there is no reason to believe that. They have been very forthcoming with information about the game and haven't been promising anything they can't deliver on. Even look at the ship date, its next year in Oct. If they wanted to scam us they could use the traditional 6 months to delivery most game companies on ks use. We all know they can't make a 6 month goal.

I guess what I'm saying is that GBG have acted with integrity during the campaign and I have no reason to believe I won't be delighted with my two mystery boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly think they just ran out of stretch goals and didn't have time to piece together artwork, sculpture mock ups, etc.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumpae wrote:
FWIW, I thought that this was a light hearted way to reach some sg's and generate some intrigue, to keep us guessing what might be in the mystery box. I don't know why people are seeing it as a scam, or what have you, there is no reason to believe that. They have been very forthcoming with information about the game and haven't been promising anything they can't deliver on. Even look at the ship date, its next year in Oct. If they wanted to scam us they could use the traditional 6 months to delivery most game companies on ks use. We all know they can't make a 6 month goal.

I guess what I'm saying is that GBG have acted with integrity during the campaign and I have no reason to believe I won't be delighted with my two mystery boxes.

Joe,

Folklore: The Affliction is entering its final hours. We see that you decided to cancel your pledge and just wanted to make sure you were caught up on anything you may have missed.

We have released a beta version of the rulebook that will give you a better idea how the game is played. It can be found here: http://press.greenbriergames.com/project_folklore/pdf/GNE007...

We have put together a pledge/shipping calculator to allow you to better estimate your costs for pledging, adding any add-ons, and shipping. It can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TOsHYgznueKe-gL_kvDR...

We have added a Premier pledge level which includes all add-ons*, over 150 miniatures and includes free worldwide shipping. *The only thing not included are the hand-crafted Dog Might boxes.

We have unlocked over 25 stretch goals which all backers at the $95 level or higher receive and have funded over 600%! This includes a total of over 70 miniatures at the lowest pledge level and lots of new game content.

While there is not a $1 pledge level you can pledge for no reward at $1 or more now to access our pledge manager at a later date and upgrade your pledge or we will have a $5 pledge in our pledge manager where you will be able to add just add-ons if you prefer.

We hope this might help answer any questions or concerns you might have had. If not, please let us know if you have any questions. If you’re still not interested we completely understand and hope you will check out our future projects.

~The Greenbrier Games Team

Lucky for me I added a dollar, I was thinking about pledging for 300 but work kept me to busy to look at it. I get back to the kickstarter after it had closed, and the all in pledge they messaged me about was no longer the all in pledge they said it was. I don't see how this isn't kind of shady.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The mystery boxes were added by backer request, in order to help unlock the last strech goals of the campaign. Which you would have seen if not otherwise occupied. I can see how after the fact you may look at it as the all in pledge didn't include the mystery boxes so it was a lie. It was never intended to be that way. If only you would have had a chance to be a part of the comment section, you could have asked those questions, which others did, and got responses. I understand where your comments are coming from, however, given the facts behind the (optional) mystery boxes, feel they are unfounded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand your concerns, I feel a bit of it as well*. I hope that the mystery is revealed when the pledge manager opens as I might buy 0-2 of them.

* I've decided to give them the benefit of doubt and trust them to produce something great, but optional.
So for me what would be great is terrain - chairs, tables, huge candle posts, braziers,pillars, chests, altar, bench, etc. these wouldn't be needed for the game but along with the Terrain stretch goal (doors and more) would allow us to make the floor tiles more interesting for our characters and enemies to inhabit. I might make walls myself, but would be very happy if the terrain came in the mystery box, and since you can never have too much terrain - I'd probably get two. shake
What would you like in the Mystery Box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nappen the Wargamer Dad

San Antonio
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terrain would be great, as I could use it in other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think its going to be terrain. They have already released some for the game and it wouldn't make sense to add to it in this way. I'm thinking it will be a new hero, and if you got two, you would have one for your alt. colour set. Something like that. Although, if it was terrain, I wouldn't complain, I love that stuff and don't think you can ever have enough...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, everybody keeps mentioning getting two mystery boxes? Was there a particular reason to get two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only got two because a) I could, and b) to help with the last strech goal. It is kind of a gamble, but for $30 I can handle it. Either way, I'll get something, even if I don't really like it, I'll have options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
Wait, everybody keeps mentioning getting two mystery boxes? Was there a particular reason to get two?

There is a limit of 2 Mystery boxes per KS backer.
(So I couldn't order 600 to sell on ebay for example)

Which suggest:
Limited production run
And/or
A Collectable feature

I'm not much of a collector (Though I do have an Airfix SAM-2 new in box which one day will go up on eBay)
So... I'd be happy with a limited production run (eg resin) rather than a signed good plated banana..

As we get all the characters in the tan set, as well as the base and ghost.
I wouldn't mind alternative looks to the characters (they was a separate KS on "mutant" figures)

Alternatively - and in keeping with the game theme and being rewarding but not essential.

I'd love 2 resin figures and a card in each mystery box -
Non player character Goldilocks (thief) and the Werebear (monster) that is pursuing her, along with an event card to integrate them as a random encounter into the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ric Tomsett
United Kingdom
Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidinsydney2 wrote:
Slashdoctor wrote:

Strange that, the PM says I can order a maximum of 8 Mystery Boxes, although the campaign said 2 per customer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dreddric wrote:
davidinsydney2 wrote:
Slashdoctor wrote:

Strange that, the PM says I can order a maximum of 8 Mystery Boxes, although the campaign said 2 per customer.

I hadn't noticed that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered one....couldn't resist!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Bull
Netherlands
flag msg tools
davidinsydney2 wrote:
Slashdoctor wrote:

Which suggest:
Limited production run
And/or
A Collectable feature

I'm not much of a collector (Though I do have an Airfix SAM-2 new in box which one day will go up on eBay)
So... I'd be happy with a limited production run (eg resin) rather than a signed good plated banana..

As we get all the characters in the tan set, as well as the base and ghost.
I wouldn't mind alternative looks to the characters (they was a separate KS on "mutant" figures)

Alternatively - and in keeping with the game theme and being rewarding but not essential.

I'd love 2 resin figures and a card in each mystery box -
Non player character Goldilocks (thief) and the Werebear (monster) that is pursuing her, along with an event card to integrate them as a random encounter into the game.

For anyone who finds this thread by now, each box will contain the same item, see here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1540902/altering-my-pledge-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.