BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Project boardgame projector rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Holm
Denmark
flag msg tools
Hi BoardGameGeek forum

We're a group of students from Copenhagen academy of Design and Technology, that are doing a project on a new idea for board games in general.

We're developing a portable projector that is going display boardgames, It will be easy to carry to your friends house, and set up a boardgame within a minute. We'd like to the ability to incooporate all boardgames types, but we encountered some problems for it, and would like to ask you some questions.

What are the bestsellers?
Why do these games sell more than others?

Are board games outdated?

What complains do you get from board games? What are the problems?

Is the small figures a must-have for board, or could it be replaced with a motion sensor?

What's your stand on using smartphone/tablet as playing cards, instead of having the stack of cards?

Do you thinks our product will be interesting on the market?

What features makes people buy a board game?

What is the most valuable in a board game?

Hope you have the time to help us progess to make an awesome product
Please tell us any issue or question you have, and we will gladly answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know many people love the feel of shuffling cards. But I honestly believe, that in a lot of instances, a digital device for your hand and a digital deck is a great thing (playing a game like Star Realms/Ascension becomes so much faster in digital form due to the lack of shuffling/market management required.

It's very easy for someone to move a piece on a board. So if you want to replace it with motion sensors, it will need to be flawless. Having players doing the same pick-up/drop motion 4 times because it didn't pick it up first time would not go down well. Perhaps have colour-coded generic physical pieces which can be identified by the sensors. You'll notice a large number of Kickstarter games that succeed have many miniatures as people love the look and feel of them. So digitising that will lose the interest of a large portion of hobbyists.

The product will need to be affordable with good game support. it will also need to be easy to set-up and bug free, otherwise it will note succeed (physical board-games don't glitch/crash).

If you can add the option for AI in the digital form, you will attract a lot of attention from one of the largest Guilds on BGG (1 Player guild).

In the end it won't succeed if it doesn't support many board games. If it costs the price of many board games, yet can only play a couple of unknown games, it will likely fail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quosa
Germany
Mönchengaldbach
NRW
flag msg tools
Pwn since 1981
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1). Why bestseller? Why not bestplayed?
Monop*** (it is not worth to write it down) has a big merchandise, but it is boring and not played that often as other games

2). Because of: Marketing, Gametheme, Unusual gamemechanic; Some are sold because of the designer or the publisher (i.e. I like games from ...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know whether you'll have much of a market for this here. Certainly there are people on BGG who are fans of digital gaming but personally I find that boardgames are a blessed relief from technology.

I've no interest in making my favourite games more difficult to interact with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a great topic but you've got to think about what you want to capitalize on and make sure your doing something that actually better.
I have actually played the computer version of small world put up on my big screen with my friends and we just pass around the mouse. It worked well but your no longer face to face and I think thats huge for many board games. But some may think that is a equal trade-off for ease of use.

More directed at your idea, what exactly are you selling? Portable projectors are already out there, digital board game are out there. Are you hoping to prepackage it all?
Though I'm one in the crowd of people who wouldn't buy that I do think there is a market for it. I think the key would be a product a person could carry like a briefcase that would have all inputs and outputs needed to emulate a very large game collection

a good wireless mouse(or any type of controller) is far better than a motion sensor. They are just not good enough for a board gamer not to think "well having the hard copy would have been better"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Binge wrote:
Hi BoardGameGeek forum

We're a group of students from Copenhagen academy of Design and Technology, that are doing a project on a new idea for board games in general.

We're developing a portable projector that is going display boardgames, It will be easy to carry to your friends house, and set up a boardgame within a minute. We'd like to the ability to incooporate all boardgames types, but we encountered some problems for it, and would like to ask you some questions.

What are the bestsellers?
Why do these games sell more than others?

Are board games outdated?

What complains do you get from board games? What are the problems?

Is the small figures a must-have for board, or could it be replaced with a motion sensor?

What's your stand on using smartphone/tablet as playing cards, instead of having the stack of cards?

Do you thinks our product will be interesting on the market?

What features makes people buy a board game?

What is the most valuable in a board game?

Hope you have the time to help us progess to make an awesome product
Please tell us any issue or question you have, and we will gladly answer.

I think that you need to be careful when you ask people in this forum for advice. I suspect the vast majority of board gamers are quite happy with the current state of affairs. They are here because by and large they like the hobby the way it is.

So I think the first question to ask yourselves is "who is the market for this product?" I wonder if you are better off trying to ask these questions of people who do not play board games and see if your solution can help solve whatever issues keep them from playing board games. What is the need you are addressing?

When technology becomes part of the board game experience, I prefer it to take the form of:

1) An app that lets me play a board game at a time and place when it an actual board game would be inconvenient or impossible. A nice size tablet works well for this purpose and is mainly limited by the selection of titles that have been published this way.
2) An app that adds a feature or enhances to a board game that would be difficult/impossible/annoying otherwise.

The biggest inconvenience I face with physical board games is the need to gather the correct number of people. There are a number of excellent platforms that address this with implementations of popular games for play online (Vassal, for example). Once I have the people gathered, I have a hard time seeing why I would want a projection of the game rather than just having the game itself. I relish opening a board game chock full of bits and pieces.

You know what area of gaming might benefit from some of your ideas? Miniature-based games. I have zero interest in purchasing hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of minis, assembling and painting an army and terrain, schlepping the lot to the backroom of a store and then fretting about someone ruining something. On the other hand, some of those massive games look very cool. If you could project that onto a surface and save me the time, money and hassle, that might be worth another look.

Then again, I could probably satisfy the experience with a strategy game on my computer or console.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Holm
Denmark
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the replys

I uploaded a picture of a bad drawing of the product idea, and it can either be a normal projector lying down, or you can stand it up and flip up a mirror and project the screen down on the table

@Negatrev
You are pointing at the one of the main issues for our product, if we'd go the with motion sensor. It needs to be reliable, but we're thinking making both available.

We're trying to make it as affordable as possible, and were looking at a price under 500$ dollars.

We'd like to add the possibility of playing against AI, but we need someone more technical advanced to proceed with it.

@Quosa
We would like to capture the market where money is, so we atleast have them compatible

@Dicingwithdearth
Our intetion is to make digital and standard boardgaming easier to set up, so its not going to be more difficult, more like the opposite are we hoping for.

@Mafman6
We exaclty looking for making digital board gaming more face to face. We are selling a portable projector intended for board gaming, I uploaded a picture of the idea, so you'll hopefully see the easy set up possibility

@Esirof
We asked here to get some of board gamers knowlegde on which problems we would face, if we wanted to attract boardgame nerds.

From other research we did, a big tablet wasn't enough space for 6 players, therefore we wanted to make screen size from 20 up to 60 inch. From some other research, there was almost no home who had more than 5 boardgames at home, and mostly everybody had the same games, and our goal is to make it compatible for every board game out there, and make it easy to test and develop new games And thanks for brining up Minature-based games, so we could have a look into that and see if we could implement it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Binge wrote:

A mirror apparatus wont be needed, projectors already got you covered.
Try looking up smart boards. They are a very popular educating tool around where I live and have the assets you hope to use and then some. Worth reading up on.

Do you hope to use software that's out there already?

I assume the optimum solution would be something like this:
a "bookshelf" or "mini" pc - cheap and compact
running steam os - covers your software and games all well established so you know it works well and no licensing/copyright issues.
with a micro usb mouse and keyboard
and a decent projector (720 would probably be good enough as long as it has good pixel blending)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.