Popular Tags: [View All]
Colonel Mustard
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There were just two of us trying out the expansion using the 1910 rules for the first time. The fact that the longest route card is replaced by the new Globetrotter card left us with the impression that the winner would also be the one who completed the most destination tickets. I had not looked through the cards and assumed, when I saw my starting hand of four destination tickets, that they were all small routes. I saw it has a race to get as many small routes done as possible. The longest one in my hand offered a 10 bonus points.

The game started as it always does...with a panic to get the cards needed to claim that one route that looks more vital than any other. It turned out to be a bit of a scramble to claim the route I had my eye on, and I got it. But I could tell by the look on my opponents face that I had grabbed it just in time. It so happened that we were both trying to get into Kansas City. I had taken her track, but her next move claimed the next one I was hoping for. I started to wonder...was this how this expansion is always going to be played or was this just typical Ticket to Ride stuff?

We both eventually accomplished the simple task of connecting to Kansas City, but not without making it awkward for each other. We both had to approach the city in a most convoluted way. But for TtR, that was nothing new. But I was still on the rampage to complete as many routes a possible...

I was hardly watching my opponent. I just grabbed routes as quickly as I could and managed to complete the two cards I had started with. My next turn was taking three new destination tickets. Hey...wait a minute...some of these are pretty long. I wasn’t expecting that. But one of the tickets would only require me to lay down two short additional routes to connect into Dallas. I had the train cards in hand to do it and three turns later I took three more destination tickets.

I could hardly believe my luck...another card that would make life simple. I only needed to add one to Vancouver and that card was done. Next turn...is this my day or what?! This draw had another card that was simply a matter of adding one short route to complete. My opponent was still working on her first two and I had five in hand. I was not expecting the game to go this easy.

It took us about 30-40 minutes to play out. I ended up drawing destination tickets five times! I have never done that in any game of TtR. Was this normal? I completed all 7 of my destination tickets. She had only 4. And I soundly trounced my opponent finishing 55 points ahead of her. It was fun for me...I am not so sure she was impressed.

So the jury is still out on this one. I figure I was just plain lucky. I am curious to try again and see if this was typical for the 1910 'variant'. (Of course, we will need to try it with more players too.) All aboard...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Ritter
United States
Westfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems to be common in the 1910 variant (and Marklin). I've played 1910 with 3-5 and in each game someone always seems to get a bunch of short routes to win the most tickets completed (and the one time the player crushed the rest of us by about 90-100 points!).

I've only played Marklin as two player. It also seems to give you the ability to blow through destination tickets rather quickly. It also give you a choice of picking long or short distance tickets, which I thought was a nice twist.

Anyway, hope this helps and nice session report.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Thompson
United States
Bentonville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once I believe I had about 12 tickets completed by the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.